36 replies to this topic

#31 Maeuschen

Maeuschen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 09:39 AM

Hi Michele !
I was only at school not a student . As I was in school you have to learn english from the age of 10 up to 16 or 19. French language from 10 up to 16 or 19 or you have the chance to say no after 2 years learning ( I said no biggrin.gif ) great language to hear but horrible grammar and vocabulary.
English is a major subject just like german, mathmatics, biologie and you need ( from good to bad ) a 1,2,3 or 4 to enter the next school year if you get a 5 or 6 you must do the same year again. I had a 3 and was in the middle but with the years english was more interesting to learn because I want to know what every song means and maybe a film on english language ( a good way to learn ). I want to know if you have to learn german in the USA - I heart about but not sure - and we have a horrible vocabulary too for not germans and for some germans too. For I think 10 years they made a revolution and constructed a new orthographie. Think about a mum wich learned the old one and kids come home and tell her mom how they write now. Jesus ph34r.gif blink.gif . Sometimes we "older" people think we are silly now mad.gif . That was so unnecessary
as a cow in a swimmingpool.

Greetings!
Michaela

#32 Maeuschen

Maeuschen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 09:42 AM

I have forgotten

It is a very good idea with the extra stones. If you have a lost stone it's difficult to get the right one back.

Michaela

#33 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 10:04 AM

Hello again, Michaela!

Here we have choices as to which languages we want to study. I breezed through Latin and loved it...but have never used it as it's a "dead" language. However, I CAN read doctor's prescriptions. laugh.gif Then I took 2 years of French...barely made it out with a C (bad mark). Then there was Spanish...again, almost a "failure." So...foreign languages are just that to me...foreign. They only gave me a passing grade to get me out, I'm sure.

My sons also had choices...my youngest had 4 years of German and does pretty well with it...their school offered German, French, Spanish and Russian. Spanish is VERY big today and eventually I imagine it will be mandatory everywhere. huh.gif

However, this part of the country was largely settled by German's, so it's not hard to find different dialects of it everywhere. We have a broken German called Pennsylvania Dutch, which I am clueless about. Yet it's the only language some of the older people speak, especially when you get closer to the Amish and Mennonite areas.

As far as the extra stones for the Solids, I think I was too late for Ann's letter...she didn't respond. sad.gif

#34 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 01:18 AM

Hi Michaela,

We are not required to learn foreign languages. It's so sad.

In high school, I took 2 years of 1 language to graduate with an "advanced with honors" diploma. This was a choice. A student can refuse and get a regular diploma without recognition. I took Latin and scored high. It helped having an interesting teacher who made learning fun. Best part...I didn't have to speak. Unfortunately, I don't remember anything.

In college, I had to take 4 semesters = 2 years of 1 foreign language. I choose Spanish because it's the most practical in Texas. I did well in the 1st class, then did worse and worse. I made average grades by the 3rd class. My pronounciation and speaking abilities are terrible. I can't say "R" sounds very well. My voice is best suited for German. I should have taken German instead. At that time, I never travelled to Europe so I didn't think about it.

#35 Maeuschen

Maeuschen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 03:03 AM

Hi Greyhound !
Here in germany we can learn latin too but it's only up to these kids wich are willing to go to school up to the age of 19 in secondary school ( Gymnasium ). You need it only if you want to study medical or natural science. In the last years we get more and more languages to learn. Some schools let you learn spanish, russia, italian, greek.

For your first german lesson try to do that biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Ritter Roland rollte die Treppe herunter. to try the "R"

means - knight Roland has rolling down the stairs

Good luck ! cool.gif
Michaela

#36 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 06:47 AM

Got the extra stones questions and will add them to the list. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Ann

#37 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 09:44 AM

Ann -

biggrin.gif rolleyes.gif THANK YOU!
biggrin.gif rolleyes.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users