36 replies to this topic

#16 Jeanette

Jeanette

Jeanette

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 01:38 PM

I second Martha's idea of submitting Lisa's sketch of the lipstick solid. It would make a nice solid.

Jeanette smile.gif

#17 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 03:39 PM

Pat,

Wow, that's a good question about the other perfumes coming back, I want KNOWING!!

Thanks Martha & Jeanette, very sweet of you. wink.gif

#18 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 10:00 PM

I know this is a late entry for the questions for EL but I would really like to know the details of the actual solid inside the case.

I have never tried but would the solid burn if set to a direct flame????

#19 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 06:18 AM

Hi Lisa -

Since I have never attempted to "ignite" any of my solids, am not too sure. But...since the solid perfume has no alcohol in it (as compared to the liquid perfume), I would say it will not ignite or implode or anything. You might singe your hand or burn off a nail (don't you hate when that happens sad.gif ), but that's about all.

Anyone else try to light up their solids? Let us know what happened! ohmy.gif

#20 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 06:52 AM

That's what I was thinking- that they are not flamable but wasn't sure.

#21 Maeuschen

Maeuschen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 07:32 AM

Hi Lisa !
I don't prooved it but I think they are flammable. One of the products inside is beeswax
and you know what happend with a candle.
I think when you put in a wick you have a good smelling candle ph34r.gif blink.gif .
But once again don't proove.

Greetings !
Michaela

#22 loveperfume

loveperfume

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 10:42 AM

Michaela, you have given me a good laugh. I am mentally picturing the party cake all lit up! laugh.gif laugh.gif

#23 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 10:49 AM

Anyone know why they even put alcohol in liquid perfume? If the scent lasts in solid perfume without the alcohol, why bother putting it in the liquid? There must be a reason... dry.gif

Do we have a Chemistry major out there somewhere? huh.gif

#24 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 11:11 AM

I am not a chemisty major but I think I can answer that question. There are several reasons for the alcohol in perfume like it is a "filler" and adds volume so that a customer feels better about purchasing a big bottle instead of a very small bottle of pure perfume, also less expensive. Alcohol also helps dry the perfume when being sprayed. If you have ever noticed all you smell at the first spray is the alcohol then as the fragrance has dries down you will experience the true notes of the fragrance.

#25 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 11:42 AM

So...basically...100 proof perfume is the best? laugh.gif Seriously, those answers make perfect sense and I thank you! It's a question that I've been meaning to ask my S.A. for years, but kept forgetting. All I had to do was come here! smile.gif

#26 Maeuschen

Maeuschen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 05:34 PM

Hi Michele !
Two reasons for using alcohol is - for winning some natural odorous substances you need alcohol during destillation and it's the only chance to do that with alcohol.
The second point is alcohol is for preservation.

Greetings !
Michaela

#27 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 08:35 PM

Hi Michaela -

I'm "anonymous" tonight! laugh.gif That's so cool! Anyway, between you and Lisa explaining Chem 101 to me, I'm going to have nightmares about flaming solids. This was a subject I never "took" to...everything always went wrong for me in class. So when the two of you come up with such plausible explanations, I feel incredibly stupid, which is ok. Not the first time; certainly not the last. biggrin.gif

Thank you for the chemistry lesson...brought back memories of passing notes and getting whacked by the nuns. blink.gif

#28 Maeuschen

Maeuschen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 04:34 AM

Hi Michele !
Don't thing I was good at school - I had some bad exspiriences in chemie and physik
and my teachers send a pray to god as I have left the school. But my first collectings are perfume bottles and I have a lot of books about nice bottles and how you can win and produce perfumes, what kind of flowers you can use, from wich you need a lot of flowerleaves to get one drop destillat and so on. Very interesting to read that and less dry than a lesson in school biggrin.gif .
I was very bad in english too blink.gif but from year to year it's not perfekt but better and better and that's why I can read and write in those nice chatrooms like here cool.gif .

Greetings !
Michaela

#29 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 06:42 AM

Hi Michaela -

Is English not a mandatory subject for students in Germany? From what I understand, German schools are more strict in their requirements for graduation than our schools, so you had to be pretty good in English or the nuns would not have let you graduate! Here, if you can tell time on a digital watch, you've passed and are ready for College! laugh.gif Believe me when I say the nuns were offering up prayers on a daily basis that I would pass chemistry and physics, not to mention lighting candles and making promises to heaven if I would only graduate. Quite possibly, I was a handful. blink.gif Academics were not at the top of my list at the time. huh.gif However, I can tell you were not as bad as you think in Chemistry as you do have a good grasp of different mixes of what constitutes a distillate, how to tell the differences, what to look for, not to mention the ability to sit down and actually read a book about different mixes of floral petals. blink.gif Plus, your English is great! smile.gif

I don't collect perfume bottles only because of the amount of dusting involved. That would drive me right up a wall! wink.gif It's something I avoid...with a passion. ph34r.gif

Have a beautiful weekend....

#30 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 07:06 AM

Ann and Ken -

A question for E.L....how hard would it be for them to put a few "extra" crystals into their Solid Compact boxes - much like they do for their Powder Compacts?

Just a thought... huh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users