• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bess

Bess

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 09:43 PM

Hello everyone - I'm a new collector & new to this forum. I've been looking on Ebay and am concerned about some of the listings. For instance after comparing pictures of the same compact by different sellers (with hugely different prices) I noticed that the cheaper one did not have one of the elements of the compact fully painted; it was not pointed out in the description at all and it made no mention of it being a defect or second.

My question is what are the things I should look for or ask the seller when considering buying a compact thru Ebay? And if a compact does not have the perfume in it, does that indicate it may be a defect? Personally I don't care if the perfume is included or not, but I do want a non-defective compact.

Thanks!

#2 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 09:05 AM

Hello Bess -

Welcome to the best little solid perfume collecting site on the net! As far as your questions go, there are so many answers one would have a hard time addressing them. huh.gif

All I can suggest is....read Roselyn Gerson's book on solids (and the ones on compacts and vanity accessories, too), learn all you can from her and this site, email the seller, check feedback and what they primarily sell (Are they familiar with solids? Do they know what they're selling? etc.), then follow your best instincts. As far as the ones with no enamel or stones, NO...they are far from perfect. They are rejects. Period. dry.gif

Good luck in your search and again, welcome! smile.gif

Michele
user posted image

#3 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 10:07 AM

Hi Bess,

Michele has some very good advise.

Also you can ask here about any you are interested in and I am sure you will hear from someone.

There are so many different ways to collect and not everyone collects the same way . You just have to have a set of rules that are for YOU .

We buy mint in box when we can but we also buy empty ones to use in our displays, so we have a very different reason than most folks. When buying empty we like to pay VERY little.
If you are buying for investment or pleasure it can change how you buy so you can see a lot goes into deciding what is right for you.

Ann

#4 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 09:47 PM

Hi Bess - here's how it seems to go in order of pricing:

1. SOLID MIB in both boxes (gold and white outer box) with perfume untouched
you would be paying the premium or market price
2. SOLID MIB in gold box only with perfume untouched
you would be paying 0 - 10% less than market price
3. SOLID MINT CONDITION with perfume in pouch
you would be paying 20 - 50% less than market price
4. SOLID MINT CONDITION, no perfume in pouch
you would be paying 50 - 80% less than market price
5. SOLID MINT CONDITION, no perfume, no pouch
you would be paying 60 - 80% less than market price
6. SOLID with flaws 'AS IS'
why would you be buying this at all ? blink.gif

#5 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 10:22 PM

Wow! My brain just had a serious meltdown! blink.gif Have to go over that a few more times...great math, Sandra! Scary, but great. tongue.gif More to the point, you're absolutely right, I think. laugh.gif

My favorite is MINT with No Box, No Perfume, No Label, No Pouch. You left that one out, silly. blink.gif

'nite all,
Michele
user posted image

#6 Bess

Bess

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 12:09 PM

Thanks everyone for your answers - very informative! Sandra your guideline is wonderful. I've ordered Roselyn's book & can't wait to get it. Thanks again!

#7 Denise

Denise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 01:07 PM

Hi Bess,

Wecome to the Site! smile.gif I totally agree with everyone's responses, I also buy 2 types of Compacts:

Mint in both Boxes for my personal Collection and Empty but Mint Compacts for Display. I stay away from those Sellers that state it's Mint but is missing parts! sad.gif

Roselyn's Book is fantastic and I couldn't live without it! Actually, I own 3 of her books as she has also written books about other types of Compacts (non-Estee Lauder) and Vintage Purses.

Sandra, you crack me up!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Welcome and enjoy,
Denise

#8 Liliane

Liliane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 06:01 PM

smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif Welcome to the bord Bess smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

If it is not too indiscrete, I may ask you where you live (if nevertheless - simply don't answer my question ). I think it is very interesting, from where in the world all members are. Unbelievably, it goes so fast. You are already the 304 member!!!

Happy collecting!!!

Liliane

#9 Bess

Bess

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 09:07 PM

I'm from Lexington, Kentucky - bluegrass & horse country & one of the most beautiful places in the country!

#10 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 10:13 PM

Hi Bess and welcome to the site!! wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users