• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#121 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 01:19 PM

We also have a "Bicentennial Box," which I must have missed when it was distributed!

If it's ever found out that these were taken by less than honest means, and then resold, I hope this person realizes it's a Federal crime to sell stolen objects across state lines! BIG trouble. dry.gif

#122 lmsw1

lmsw1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 04:29 PM

Guess what, guys? That half mermaid is for sale again at ebay ! Unbelievable! The good news is nobody bought it last time. Hopefully nobody will buy it this time (unless they have her head wink.gif )

#123 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 05:50 PM

Why did someone bid on it before? Did the high bidder back out?

Selling this "solid" is mad.gif sad.gif dry.gif for collectors. Some are more against it than others. But, it's worse to be a high bidder and not pay. Ebay will kick you off if you get 3 strikes for non-payment...assuming 3 different sellers file the necessary ebay forms. These situations are best avoided if you ask the seller questions ahead of time and either (1) don't bid or (2) cancel you bid at least 12 hours before the auction ends.

---So many ebay problems to worry about. ph34r.gif

#124 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 08:21 PM

I thought the first headless mermaid sold for around $50??? huh.gif Maybe this is a second one. I don't understand why this seller isn't being stopped by Lauder, obviously it is all unfinished or discarded material and it is easy enough to find out who this seller is and where the solids are coming from- I know as do most members on this site. mad.gif

#125 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 12:34 AM

blink.gif where?

I'm obviously not in the "most members" category. sad.gif

#126 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 05:44 AM

I don't know who this seller is either or where these solids are coming from. The first "Mirmaid" was sold for just over $100, but since the buyer hasn't posted any feedback, maybe it was returned to the seller. Maybe the buyer didn't realize it was headless. I would hate to think there are 2 out there. mad.gif This description on this mermaid has been altered to read that you are now bidding on a body part. ph34r.gif

#127 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 06:02 AM

Yeah, I'm of the same opinion as Martha - I think maybe the original buyer may not have realised it was headless because the picture was too dark. And then, probably neglected to ask the seller a question about it . . . dry.gif

Regardless, if the feedback wasn't given and it's back on Ebay, that would make sense as to why. Otherwise, it's scary that the IS actually more than one headless mermaid out there!!! EEK!! blink.gif ohmy.gif

Have you checked the buyers feedback - is there a negative there from the seller?

#128 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 06:47 AM

What a description.......you are bidding on a body part!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe we should all send emails to the seller saying what we think! Some grusesome ones might do the trick!

ph34r.gif

#129 Lori B

Lori B

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 07:02 AM

It really surprises me at how much some of these solids are selling for! And there are some buyers whom have bought many items from this seller. I not just wonder where the"solids" (if you can call them that) are coming from, but what the buyers are doing with them - I just wonder if the buyers are really happy with them when they receive them and do they know they are "castaways"? blink.gif

#130 Lori B

Lori B

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 07:15 AM

I was also going to mention that I hope that, if the initial buyer of the headless mermaid did in fact return the item, I hope that they take this opportunity to leave feedback regarding this body part - I sure could think of a few ways to word it!!!

#131 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 11:45 AM

HELP... unsure.gif unsure.gif

I LIKE SANDRA ALSO DON'T KNOW WHERE THE UNFINISHED AND DISCARDED
SOLIDS ARE COMING FROM

IS IT A SECRET....... ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

MARGARET

#132 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 12:01 PM

That is one of the questions we will be asking at convention also what are the buyers (that know what they should be ) are buying them for . Some of those buyers should be at convention and even though I am a shy retiring person I will ask them.
I would be tempted to buy the mermaid just for the stones as an example, but would not want to pay more than a little baggie of stones would cost.

I would assume that these solids are coming from the Victoria Co. where they are made. It appears that "jewelry' repair people have a way to "buy" the solids that have a problem and didn't get finished. Victoria Co. probably never thought they would be sold on Ebay as Mint solids.

I wouldn't mind so much the selling of these unfinished solids IF the discription would include that fact and people that didn't know what they really were not getting a bum deal.

Anyone with more questions for El please send them in as we are going to finish the letter soon.

Ann

#133 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 06:50 PM

Ann -

I emailed the seller to ask a question when these first appeared. The question was, of course, where are you getting these? She emailed me directly that she buys them from an employee of Estee Lauder who has access to unfinished solids and these are some that she no longer wants in her "collection." Right. dry.gif

I did call Estee Lauder Corporate about this and explained what was happening, but the person I talked to seemed to have cared less about what was going on. mad.gif

So...if you need any information on the seller or who I spoke to at E.L., email me.

#134 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 08:18 PM

Yeah - no use calling an EL person and hoping that they care who buys or sells their 'trash' . . . . I think they'd only be interested in their sales figures on their retail stock . . . unsure.gif

Like many manufacturers over here, if the stuff was in the 'rubbish bin', then they don't care who takes it as long as it goes . . . they figure if you can make money out of garbage, then go ahead. More fool the people who buy. dry.gif

But yes, shame, shame, shame on the sellers who don't give the proper info on their goods. mad.gif

#135 Denise

Denise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 08:26 PM

When I worked at Estee Lauder, the Packaging Department (they tested some Compacts) would throw unfinished solids in the Garbage and that was over 6 years ago.

About 2 years ago I heard that every unfinished solid must be accounted for, not thrown away but logged and given to one of the Departments. I only know this for 1 building on Long Island. To my knowledge, the Solids are not made on Long Island, not the molds, nor the perfume. I believe they are made in Rhode Island, or Bristol, NJ but it's been so long that this could have changed.

I heard of an incident about 1 year ago where some guys stole about $10,000 worth of Clinique Products from a Warehouse and they were caught and of course, fired.

Wish I had more information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users