• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#16 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 11:40 PM

biggrin.gif No worries Michele - I didn't have any questions, remember?

But thanks for clarifying the info received. Can't believe 'solids' were off-limits . . . what else do you talk about . . . . ? sad.gif

OK - I concede a point to you for the doggies! dry.gif laugh.gif

YA DID ALL RIGHT!! (I'd pat you on the back right now if I could). blink.gif

#17 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 07:29 AM

Ran into the same problem when Mr. Strongwater was at an event in Texas.

He was at NM and could not answer questions about solids because he makes them for Sak's. He is a very nice man and I am sure he would love to answer questions but I think he is under EL/NM rules when doing an event in NM.

He did send me signed copies of the photos Ken & I did of his solids in our displays.
He was at a NM that keeps a book of our photos and was shown them( the Sak's ones under the table ,LOL).

Ann

#18 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 07:16 PM

Rules, schmules . . .what a pain in the a - - - (in our language it has four letters, Don!) cool.gif

So what DOES Mr. Jay Strongwater talk about? (Or - what is he ALLOWED to talk about?) blink.gif

Just dogs? tongue.gif

#19 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 08:17 PM

Sandra - Jay Strongwater is not out to be everyone's best friend. He's doing a service for loyal customers. And it's hard work, girl. He gets tired, but can't show it. He gets grumpy, but can't show it. He gets frustrated, but can't show it. He'd probably just like to be home, but can't show it.

Why should he have to talk to anyone? It's not exactly a talk show. He has a product to sell (although it does sell itself) and he's helping it along. I'm sure the day will come when he no longer will be doing "signings." But until that day comes, he's a trooper.

What does he talk about? Go to a signing and ask him yourself. Ask him what makes him happy? What makes him angry? What makes him tired? Maybe travelling from state to state, wondering where he is from day to day, just to satisfy those of us who just have to have his signature (like myself, I admit it.) And always with a smile...never critical. Again, go to a signing and find out what makes him open up. Being miserable just doesn't cut it. Respect is a two-way street.

#20 Jack

Jack

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 12:05 AM

QUOTE(Michele @ Apr 20 2004, 07:30 PM)
Question for Jack - How does a specific "Topic" from this site get on the "Google" site?  That really floored me....

To be honest, nobody knows exactly. Googlebots scan the internet and pick up loads and loads of information, but how Google's ranking system algorithm works exactly is a closely guarded secret. If they let that info out, people would take advantage of it and misuse it.

More importantly: Jay Strongwater said he reads this site? COOL!

#21 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 12:32 AM

a.

#22 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 12:57 AM

Hey Michele . . . . I'm not interested in signings, but I didn't know that's what he did . . . . yeah - call me ignorant, but hey - nothin' like that happens down here (much) . . . due to lack of interest and population, I think. (Not respect)

remember I'm in Australia, so it's a little hard to get to where he is when he is . . . whoever he is (Sorry Jay - I just put that in there for the alliteration). biggrin.gif

But c'mon, I'd say he'd be enjoying his job and getting well paid for it . . . .and well known for it. I'd say part of the two way street would be for icing on the cake for him as well! blink.gif

NB> I think the important questions would be what the other members asked earlier on and not the ones you have written for me to ask . . .

#23 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 02:12 AM

Don and Margaret, why would anyone object to your posting the beautiful picture of your Grandchild! wink.gif

Sandra and Michele, have just been reading your postings. Both of you have interesting comments. All I will add is the fact that if you want publicity, you have to work for it. There are the up sides and the down sides, so a bit of public relations work, and it is hard work, can reap dividends. Dividends translates into cash/dollars and so on............! While there's a market, nurture it. Someone can come along tomorrow with different ideas, and you can be left out in the cold! So, the old saying 'make hay while the sun shines!' ......makes sense! And, yes, it is a two way street. The other evening Michele I was at a Writing Showcase. After the event the Author who was present didnt have to speak with us personally on a one to one basis, but he did! And do you know what, due to the time I spent with him (and I would never normally buy his books) I will make a point of purchasing them now! A few words go a long way and that to me is good P.R. Yes, he was tired too. After more than two hours in discussion under the spotlight who wouldn't be. All part and parcel of getting to the top and staying there!

smile.gif

#24 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 08:53 AM

Hear. hear, Jacky . . . well said! wink.gif

It's the personal touch that reaches people, isn't it? A connection and interest in them. smile.gif

The world needs more of this!! unsure.gif

#25 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 04:45 PM

a.

#26 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 05:04 PM

No problems. Just a matter of interpretation. Fascinated though that Google can do this! Your little Grandson is certainly getting his fair share of exposure. Lovely!

Would like to see another picture as and when............. smile.gif

#27 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 05:18 PM

Don & Margaret,

All is fine with the link, don't worry about anything. I did see your photo of Vinnie and he was adorable. biggrin.gif

As far as questions for Jay-- I wouldn't really ask him anything, I think I would just thank him for being there for all us collectors. I was totally impressed at the talk he gave us in Vegas, he really took the time to share with all of us even brought in mold of solids, detailed worksheets and examples of his first works. Also, who do you know that takes such great time effort in painstakingly signing each of his solids for us. When I saw him this year in Boca I smiled at him and watched I was more than happy with just that.

Bottom line is that Jay Strongwater goes out of his way to make the collector feel important and valuable to him where as Estee Lauder only wants the collectors to think them (EL) important.

#28 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 05:25 PM

He certainly appears to be a very nice person from what I have read and heard about him on this site. I really think my signed Sunflower is beautiful.

Perhaps Goldfinger will take note! dry.gif

#29 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 05:46 PM

Don and Margaret . . . . for the 3rd time . . . . WHAT'S THE LITTLE BLIGHTER'S NAME???? biggrin.gif

#30 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 05:47 PM

Sorry - I had written this before I read Lisa's post . . . . so - It's Vinnie, is it?

As for Jay, I'm glad to hear this, Lisa. When Michele wrote about it I wasn't so sure what the deal was - it just seemed that he wasn't able to talk about anything much . . . . or answer questions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users