• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 06:56 PM

Jennifer walked gingerly along the icy pavements. It was early evening and the wind seemed to cut right through her as she made her way home. It had been one of those days! One of those days when nothing seemed to fall into place. The perfumery department where she worked at Lacy's Departmental Store had been bogged down with orders for the latest solid perfumes. A new shipment was due in and that meant phone calls and promises as well as all the other items which had to be dealt with on a day to day basis.

Today had been pretty well horrific! Tony, the young man who was being acclaimed for his innovative approach to make up and colour had begun his four day stint and Jennifer had been run off her feet pandering to his never ending demands. Likewise, the queue of ladies and young girls eager to have him transform them from dull browns into light blues, greens and purples, were taking their toll on his creativity. A creativity which although seemingly endless, required constant feeding with adoration and constant applause!

'Phew!' Jennifer let out a sigh of relief as she finally entered her apartment and sank into a comfortable chair. 'How am I going to get through another day like today!' she thought out loud. But she knew she would cope and now was the time to settle down, relax and enjoy something hot and comforting to eat and drink before spending a little time checking out some emails before finally turning out the light and retiring for the night.

It wasn't long before the computer screen greeted her with a welcoming smile. Her friend Sandra in Australia popped up in the shape of a funny faced bear to say hello, followed by Angela in Washington and Nancy in Scotland. So many people scattered all over the world, in different time zones and climes. Amazing! Amazing how the world had become so much smaller with instant access at ones fingertips.

A strange 'glug glug' made Jennifer jump out of her skin! She looked around half expecting to find someone standing behind her and laughed at herself for being so edgy. 'My God Jennifer' she scolded 'pull yourself together!' She turned back to the computer screen. 'What on earth was that!' she exclaimed out loud. She sat looking at the screen her mouth wide open in amazement, her eyes following this 'THING' that appeared to be darting back and forth! 'What on earth is that!' she muttered as the 'THING' leered back at her, it's funny little head twitching from side to side! The next minute it had gone!

Jennifer gulped. 'I must be tired. Very tired indeed!' The THING let out a squiggly laugh....... ph34r.gif

#2 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 08:05 PM

That's for openers! Hope this will be continued.......Jack has written about the Googlebot in his 'Help' section! huh.gif

#3 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 10:14 AM

Whatever apparition she had seen moving across her computer screen had unnerved her, but then she was easily spooked, Jennifer reassured herself. She decided to shut the computer down for the night, and re-BOOT it tomorrow morning. It's amazing, she thought, how ridiculous this will all seem in the daylight. She forced herself to laugh out loud, the sound of her voice somehow comforting in the lonely, darkened apartment. "Okay," she said, as she dabbed Advance Night Repair around her puffy eyes, "just let me make it through the night."

#4 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 03:28 PM

smile.gif

#5 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 04:52 PM

I'm astounded!!! ohmy.gif

How did I make it as a character in this story??? laugh.gif

#6 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE(Jacqueline @ Feb 29 2004, 01:18 AM)
Jack has written about the Googlebot in his 'Help' section!    huh.gif

Jacky - can't find Jack's post about this - can you please direct me to it??

Is it in the helpdesk section?? Which topic?

#7 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 07:06 PM

It is under the section Logging In where I asked about the Googlebot not changing colour like the rest of us! Have a look there and see how you go!

Quote: How did I make it as a character in this story?

Unquote: One way you won't get the last word rolleyes.gif

#8 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 08:07 PM

Jennifer tossed and turned. As much as she tried she could not sleep and eventually decided that a mug of hot chocolate might soothe her frazzled nerves. The THING kept on dancing around in her head and she felt tempted to have another look in the hope of allaying her fears.

'Here I go' she told herself, turning on the computer. 'Let's see what's going on now!' She sighed, relieved to find some friendly emails plus a few jokes from her friend in Canada and other friends across the globe. She laughed out loud feeling a strange sense of relief.

'Heeeelllo Jennifer!' the little squiggly voice greeted her! 'I've been searching for you! How could you leeeeeeeeave me the way you did?' Jennifer sat bolt upright staring at the screen. 'Jennnnnnnnifer! Why won't yooooou talk to me?' the little head danced from side to side. 'Pleeeeeese!?' 'How can I talk to you! Why don't you just leave me alone?' Jennifer cried. THING stared back at her. 'I can't heeear you!' it twitched. 'Type to me pleeeeeeeeeeese!' Jennifer's fingers began to race across the board. 'That's bettttttter!' THING responded. 'All I want is to speeeeeak to yoooou! I've been searching all day long and night tooooooo. You really don't understand me at all doooooooo you????????' 'No I don't and I'm tired. Why don't you just disappear and leave me alone!' THING danced up and down and diagonally across the screen.. 'You reallllly have upset me now! You really have! Don't you know who I am?' 'NO! And I don't want to. Go away!' THING twitched agitatedly. 'Alright Jennifer, I will go now, but I'll be back! ....until toomorrrow!' Jennifer shuddered before falling back into a deep sleep!
She had a full SOLID day's work ahead.........

[/COLOR][/I][/B]

#9 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 02:48 AM

Jennifer awoke with a start and looked at the alarm clock with dismay. It was 7.30 a.m. and she was late! The mug of now, cold chocolate, brought her back to reality. But was it reality? She hastily showered and dressed, deciding to grab a hot drink and croissant in the cafe across the road from Lacy's. She really could not be late for work, especially today. Tony would be crawling up the wall as he needed her to sort out his appointments as well as to arrange his cubicle for the avalanche of ladies due that morning.

Her mind turned fleetingly to the computer. She didn't want to think about that now. Her night's sleep had been disastrous. No night's sleep in fact. Just one long bad dream after the other!

'No time to dwell on that now! There was enough to think about than THINGS that twitched and leered in the night! She turned her mind to work. The shipment of solids would be arriving and she was excited to see what they were like. She also knew there would be a few for her as a promotional gift. Her collection was expanding and she was eagerly awaiting another couple to join them!

Before long she was on the bus joining the masses in their never ending rush to work!.........

#10 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 03:30 AM

God I just had a start! Went to log out and looked at the bottom. GOOGLEBOT was sitting right next to my name! Really spooked me!

#11 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 05:07 PM

As Jennifer arrived at work for a new day, Tony the "creative one" was already sitting at the counter with his laptop computer working on new designs and colours. He looked sideways as Jennifer approached and raised his eyebrows at her in a silent greeting.

"Tch!" Jennifer thought, "I wonder what today's got in store for me." Putting on her cheeriest voice though, she said "Good morning, Tony! How was your night?"

Tony looked up from the screen and replied "Terrible, Jennifer!! I was trying to do work on my computer last night and I kept seeing Hotbot everywhere!! I don't know what it is and wonder if it's a worm in my computer!!"

Jennifer chuckled inside to herself. "So he's human after all", she thought. Aloud she said "Well, while you've had a Hotbot last night, I've been having a Googlebot!!"

People around them turned their heads then quickly walked away . . .

#12 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 07:02 PM

Tony turns his head to make sure no customers are within earshot, and then whispers to Jennifer, "Did you say you have a Googlebot?"

"Yes," Jennifer whispered back, "I have a Googlebot that's out of control."

Tony's imagination is doing double-time. "What do you mean out of control?"

Jennifer glanced around once again to make sure their conversation could not be overhead. "You're going to think I've gone daft," she said, "but my Googlebot is dancing!"

"Come on, Jenny, give us a break here," Tony chided. "Your Googlebot has a long way to go before it can dance!"

Jennifer gave Tony a withering look mad.gif as she turned to her customer, "Good morning, Madam, how can we assist you this lovely morning?"

#13 Astrid

Astrid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 08:37 PM

Sorry Folks,

But don't you think stories like this belong to the Non-Lauder Solids Talk ?????????
I have a good sence of humour but this is going beyond the topic !

Jack, please !

Maybe you are able to open/create a section such as "Fun stories" or "Tales for Collectors" ...

Thank you,
Astrid

#14 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 09:05 PM

Sorry to have offended you, Astrid . . . . I agree with you about sticking to chatting about the solids. smile.gif

I'm sure we were going to build the solid perfumes into the story, but obviously haven't got there yet . . . . again, my personal apologies for inadvertently 'wasting your time' reading through this. wink.gif

I felt the same when everyone was practising playing with fonts, colours and sizes at the beginning of the year - but hey, we all got over that! smile.gif

#15 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 09:11 PM

Astrid,

My apologies, too. The last thing I had meant to do was offend anyone on this board and for that I am truly sorry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users