• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jack

Jack

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 04:39 PM

One of the new improvements I am working on is the ability for members to post their own listings in the "for sale" section and then remove them when they have sold. My question is this:

SELLERS: Would there be any interest in having an auction option for "for sale" items, or is a set price sufficient?

#2 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 06:02 PM

Just how many cans of worms do you want to open??? laugh.gif

Ann

As a professonal buyer I would like to see set prices.

#3 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 06:17 PM

I'd personally go for set price, but on the other hand, an auction would be good to counter Ebay . . . . and help the sellers get market price for their goods.

#4 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 07:15 PM

I like fixed price.

As a buyer: It's easier to decide whether you want to buy it. Prices don't fluctuate. Possible chance to buy it less than stated price. Nice alternative to ebay.

As a seller: You can list for the exact price you want = no games. Gives potential buyers more opportunity to ask questions. You can leave it up without worries---you have to constantly re-list auctions and be on top of it. You can lower prices easily if someone asks. I'm willing to reduce the price of my last solid listed (currently at $350)...hint hint.

For me, I can decide to list in on ebay if my solids don't receive any action. Recently, I sold one from this site; got tired of the other and auctioned it. cool.gif

#5 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 09:57 PM

Jack -

I have to fall in behind Ann....Fixed Price. Definitely.

Then again...there's always the "silent auction" format...where no one knows who bids or how much except the seller. That way no fur would fly, and I do believe it might get a few feathers ruffled if we were all competing outright with each other! ohmy.gif I could be wrong, but... unsure.gif

However, have you considered the possibility of an "eBay Suggestion Board" where members could talk about their problems or good transactions on eBay? That would keep the Solid Perfume Site wide open for Solid and/or Compact conversation only. However, am not sure you can even use the word "eBay" as a dedicated subject without stepping on copyright toes.

Just a few mini-thoughts from a mini-brain. blink.gif

Michele user posted image

#6 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 11:31 PM

Hi Jack, I like the fixed price on the "for sale" items. I also like the ones with the photos. This way you see what you're buying and you know the price. I just don't like ebay and all that bidding and watching and waiting it's just not my style. blink.gif wacko.gif unsure.gif
That's my two cents worth. LOL! tongue.gif unsure.gif
Bye,KK wub.gif

#7 Jack

Jack

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 11:59 PM

QUOTE(Michele @ Jan 21 2004, 10:10 PM)
...I do believe it might get a few feathers ruffled if we were all competing outright with each other!

Excellent points everyone. I think Michele made an excellent point above about competing with one another.

Fixed price it is!

We can talk about eBay auctions all you like! I'm not worried about any problems from them.

I'm actually contemplating doing another site that might ruffle some feathers with them. (opening up another can of worms as Ann put it) I'm trying to figure out the best way to construct it, but it would help buyers (and sellers for that matter) report and avoid scammers.

#8 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 06:57 AM

Jack -

Now you're headed in the right direction! user posted image Let us know if you need any input! Am sure there's lots of ideas just waiting to be vented. laugh.gif

Have a great day...

#9 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 07:02 AM

pssssst....Jack....Have you ever met Meg Whitman? Ouch! huh.gif Oh well, maybe we could talk her into collecting solids. laugh.gif

#10 Jack

Jack

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE(Michele @ Jan 22 2004, 07:15 AM)
pssssst....Jack....Have you ever met Meg Whitman?  Ouch!

lol, no...never met Meg. She's certainly a powerful businesswoman but I don't think eBay would have much legal ground to stop a project like what i want to do. As long as I stay within certain bounds, it should be ok.

eBay's fraud department leaves a LOT to be desired in my opinion. Despite years of complaints from people, they still seem hesitant to get very involved in stopping fraud on their site. (IMHO, of course!)

#11 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 01:30 PM

I agree about ebay.

I spoke too soon about having minor ebay problems. There's a paypal issue I have recently encountered. I sold a mixed lot containing over 100 used and new items. Auction clearly states the nature of the lot + there are pictures showing everyting. The lady made up false accusations and filed a paypal quality issue complaint against me. mad.gif It's currently pending. I'm sure I will win, but if I don't, I will NOT accept paypal as payment ever again! This lady is scamming me. If she wins and keeps the items, she will have to contend with me and my husband. I hate FRAUD and Scam Artists! mad.gif mad.gif

#12 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 11:29 PM

QUOTE(greyhound @ Jan 22 2004, 06:43 PM)
I hate FRAUD and Scam Artists!

Yeah - me too!! mad.gif

There seems to be a lot of 'ripping off' going on lately!!

I can understand Ebay having problems coping with the huge amount of items and sellers (and buyers) they have from all around the world . . . and it's a matter of piecing together 'who's who'.

It's not always that easy who to believe and who not to believe in the case of a disagreement between buyer & seller.

It's also not that easy to trace people who change their ID's constantly and move about UNLESS . . . . you have a site like this where people from all over the world 'talk' to each other about their experiences.

Maybe Ebay should have a chat board like this for disgruntled persons. However, they designed their feedback system instead . . . . obviously it doesn't always work, but what system does?

Bottom line is, ANYTHING bought / sold without seeing is a risk. We HOPE the post gets it right, we HOPE the seller does the right thing, we HOPE the buyer is also honest. We live in FAITH that the nature of human's is kind . . . . and that if they're not, then the good karma will get them in the end.

Basically, whatever you choose, you can't please everybody!! It is the MINORITY that ruin it for everyone, so my advice is to PROCEED WITH CAUTION !!

OK - off my soapbox

#13 2cute4u2

2cute4u2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 12:28 AM

I really like the idea of creating a place where solids collectors and buyers can report bad experiences as well as good ones. When I used to collect Steiff, it was the AOL BB members that collected Steiff who posted problems with sellers and buyers. We were even able to track those scammers that changed their IDs and stole pictures. We were also able to prevent others from getting taken when one member got scammed because that person would warn others.
I believe that the solids collecting and selling community is pretty small and tight-knit, like the Steiff collecting community. A few bad transactions can ruin a seller's or buyer's reputation so if we had such a site, it just might make the scammers think twice and take their scams to another collectible's venue.

JMHO. rolleyes.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users