Posted 19 January 2004 - 07:15 PM

a.

#2 favoritegram

favoritegram

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 08:16 PM

I agree with the Ebay prices. I have 2 solids listed now and they are going higher than I ever expected. It is the first time but it seems like perfumes are also selling great, Lainey

#3 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 08:19 PM

I must admit I haven't noticed as I am purposley staying away!

It has been about 3 days! laugh.gif

#4 klassicguy1

klassicguy1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 08:33 PM

huh.gif I agree...I don't get it. I am the first to say to "great" to the seller and "congrats" to the buyer, but the prices are all over the board. I am glad they are "upward" a bit, that's good for all of us biggrin.gif

#5 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 09:05 PM

For whatever reason, people always seem to bid more in mid to late January through March...then that's it. Everything goes back to normal. I think it's a lull between the Fall/Christmas solids and the Spring solids debut.

Am curious to see what the "Ivory Duck" goes for...they always do well even in "slow" times; this should be interesting, yes? biggrin.gif

#6 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 09:39 PM

Oh my gosh...the "Cats' Meow" is already at $200 and it still has over 6 days left! I think I'm going to go find something to list... laugh.gif

A Kitty to Watch!

(For the record...the above kitty is not mine...)

#7 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 10:34 PM

Woody -

I have to agree with you 100%. It's always reassuring to know that what you are collecting is still holding it's value, if not climbing. Obviously, Estee Lauder solids are in a class by themselves.

Michele user posted image

#8 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 12:17 AM

Bidding is high because it's winter time and people are staying home.

Lately I've seen bidders that I haven't seen before....maybe they're buying Valentine gifts.

Yep, bids are excessive. This time of the year is the worst. It all depends on how much a person is willing to spend. I only bought 4 EL solids in the past 3 months--1 was MIB. I'm small fish, so it's safer for me to watch now and bid later.

It seems like we compete with the same people who have like 10 of the same solids in their collection and want at least 10 more. mad.gif They should give others a chance once in a while. I feel like saying "can you please throw me a bone?"

Sellers are real lucky to make huge profits. It's funny that people hardly bid on my items....it must be a conspiracy or something. ph34r.gif

#9 Maeuschen

Maeuschen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 06:39 AM

Hi !
I agree with Greyhound. There are lots of people buying gifts for Valentine but it's every year the same. I bought a lot of new solids a short time before and after christmas because the most people have spend there money for the new ones and don't have the money to bid at ebay. Now the money bags are filled again I think.
A bad time to buy at ebay is between Valentine and Easter. sad.gif

Michaela

#10 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 06:48 AM

Add to all that the fact that one seller alone has sold three (3) Bustiers in the last 2 weeks at $295 each and even I have to wonder what's going on. I thought there was a limit of one Bustier per customer...what are they doing in Las Vegas? 3 to a customer??? There are so many collectors who can't find even 1....

I enjoy selling, but not under those conditions. The buying is getting scary, unless, like Sandra said, you absolutely know and have bought from the seller before. The "new" solid sellers are popping out of the woodwork and one has to wonder where they came from and exactly what is the quality of the solid.

One "Pet Peeve" I have is seller's who photograph a really good solid, list it on eBay, and send you a damaged or defective one.

Enough for one day....

M. user posted image

#11 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 07:04 AM

I really, really want this one, but....

The Perfect Carousel (Hopefully)

#12 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 03:24 PM

Alright I will confess -- I have been quilty of buying more than one solid. But I have rules.

I buy only if I don't have it ( unless it is for someone else). biggrin.gif

I buy only if it is under $50 ( unless it is for someone else). biggrin.gif

I try not to overbid a member of the board but I get so excited I forget to see who has bid. Blanket sorry. unsure.gif

I buy only if I need a pair of doggies for the dog show , two cups of tea for the tea party, two party cakes for the bakery, ( you get the idea). biggrin.gif

I am sure I have more rules but they sometimes go out the window when a solid appears that is a must have. biggrin.gif laugh.gif

And the rest of my bidding is because Ken made me do it. laugh.gif biggrin.gif

Ann

#13 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 05:07 PM

Interesting comments, board members!!

Have to agree with Greyhound on the fact that certain sellers get higher sales than others, but also can't fathom why - lucky them!! Maybe it's the location?? dry.gif

Also yes, I have seen loads of 'new sellers' appear . . . . I don't buy off these anymore since being 'stung' late last year . . . . but there you go - better safe than sorry. sad.gif

As for 'throwing a bone' my way - well, yeah - totally agree!! We have all got our bargains in the past, haven't we? Anyway, if we wait a few months on the newer ones history tells us they're sure to drop in price . . . . rapidly!! smile.gif

When sellers see how much they are making for the same ones, they all suddenly put them on. It's the sellers who take the initiative and put one on that hasn't been on for a while - an oldie but a goodie - so it'll fetch a high price.

However, on the real rarities, yes - it's a bugger to get hold of one that everybodies eyes are on!! No matter how much you beg and plead - money talks, and if you haven't got as much as the next person, then tough bikkies for you. It's a scam and unjust, but that's life on Ebay!!

GOOD LUCK everybody - and as Woody once said to me (as he outbid me):
"Alls fair in love and solids" laugh.gif

#14 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 09:06 PM

I've been dealing in perfumes since the mid-80's. I don't blame anyone for making a buck. I just hate the sellers that have to squeeze the absolute top dollar out of each piece. mad.gif
Pieces I know the amount of profit I want, I list them on the for sale area in the site.
There are pieces I sometimes put up as a buy now on ebay. Sometimes they sell and sometimes they don't as with my William bear. sad.gif
I have noticed in perfumes that when you have hard core collectors who want certain pieces or want to complete the whole collection the prices do go up and if you have something on ebay that they want then you are usually going to get top dollar for your item. smile.gif At that point it does not matter what it originally sold for. It only matters what the buyer is willing to pay for it.
I read on the board that many collectors make requests for certain hard to get solids. Maybe they will get lucky and get one at a fair price but don't be shocked or angry if you get them offered to you at a high price.

#15 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 06:55 AM

Ann -

Your sense of humor, the solid photo's from you and Ken (and everyone else), and all of Jack & Lisa's work make this a site I want to continually return to. smile.gif

Brigitte, KK, Martha, and anyone I left out...Great job...beautiful shots and very creative. Love them all:) rolleyes.gif

Thanks so much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users