4 replies to this topic

#1 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 11:00 PM

Check out: http://cgi.ebay.com/...item=2135453777

This solid is auctioned on ebay soooo much more than any other! Why on earth would someone pay $89.99 when they can easily get it under $15? It doesn't even have a box. [Eek!]

Bids are so ridiculous this summer! I only bought one Lauder solid during August instead of the usual 3-5. This time last year some sellers couldn't give away the Statue of Liberty for $49.

#2 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 04 September 2002 - 11:26 PM

This bid was high because it is not the original golden rope solid that we are all so used to seeing.
The original was from 1968.
The solid in the auction is the "special edition" re-issued in 1993.
If you look at the photo you will see it doesn't have the longer clasp to open it as in the original.

I missed this one! [Roll Eyes]

[ September 04, 2002, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

#3 Maeuschen

Maeuschen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 07 September 2002 - 01:25 AM

Hi all !
Greyhound you are right, I think the reason for the high auctions this summer are the "newbies".
A lot of people beginning to collect solid perfume and dont know what they can pay for not knowing the values of the pieces. The best example I think is this auction with the enamel panda munching a green leaf - not the one with crystals it goes over 300 $ [Eek!] - normally you can get it for 80 - 125 $.

Greetings !

Michaela

#4 Mary

Mary

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 September 2002 - 01:43 PM

I agree with Michaela, I think some are newbies. The same bidder that bid on the panda also went very high on another one a couple of days ago. I remember having the same dilemma because there are so many, so for me Gersons' book was a blessing. There are still so many times that I have to flip through to a picture because I don't recognize the name. Have a great day. Watching it rain here in Houston and getting ready to watch our new football team!! Mary

#5 pixiepoo

pixiepoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 September 2002 - 08:01 PM

Wow, did you see the jeweled beehive that just sold on ebay for $395 with "buy it now"? Yikes! Am I going to have to pay that to get one? Why so high?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users