• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 cka

cka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 11:03 PM

This past weekend I worked at an estate sale in Southern Idaho. I found some solid perfumes I have not had time to research yet. I'm wondering of some of the site members can shed some light on these little beauties. The litle pots are about 1 1/8 inches wide and 1/2 inch tall. The material itself is either a black plastic or bakelite. The label on top has a wonderful colonial couple with the couple both having the powdered wigs. The lady is in a beautiful red dress and the gentleman has a purple coat tails. The writing is AZIADE - PARIS and then the scent name:
Lilas
Muguet
Chypre
Jasmin
Sweetpea

The writing on the label on the back reads: Compact Perfume AZIADE, Made from highly concentrated flower essences. Will surround you for hours with an exquisite fragrance. Simply pass the finger lightly on the perfume. Then behind the ears, on hair, on hands. Paris Made in France. All of these cuties are in mint condition. They still contain the fragrance. It is a dark brown color, but they still smell good - not strong or over powering.

I was also fortunate enough to get three rouge compacts that are quite old, but in unused condition. They are so cute with the little lamb's wool puffs. One is still in the original box that was price marked $2.00.

Also bought an absolutely wonderful jeweled lipstick tube with a mirror on the side or it, Elgin American, still in the box and has the signed bag to carry the tube.

Hope someone has some information on the little solids.

#2 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 09:49 AM

Is there a way to email me a photo of them that I can post for you about these items? [Confused]

#3 cka

cka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 09:53 PM

Lisa:

You know I'm dumb as a post when it comes to computers/cameras, but I'll give it a try next week when I'm not working.

Carolyn

#4 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 03:54 PM

Here is the solid Carolyn has been referring to, if anyone has any information on it please let her know. [Wink] user posted image

[ August 20, 2003, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

#5 cka

cka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 05:31 PM

Lisa:

Thanks so much for your help. I'm hoping some of the members have seen these cuties before or know something about them.

Carolyn

#6 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 07:28 PM

I don't know anything about this solid, but did a google search for "Aziade" and only found:

http://www.bathantiq...e-22036-23.html

It seems like a hard-to-find solid.

#7 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 09:13 PM

Carolyn,

Brigitte sent this article for you:

user posted image

#8 cka

cka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 11:48 PM

Greyhound, Brigitte and Lisa:

Thanks so much for your help. This is the same solid I purchased and then I got four more too. Judging from the hair style in Brigitte's article, I would say these are from the 20's or 30's.

Some elderly lady has kept them safely in her drawer for years and they recently emerged when they were going through her things to sell. They are in mint condition for their age.

I think I got a real treasure.

Carolyn

#9 klassicguy1

klassicguy1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 07:22 AM

Yuu have a very nice find! These are what are called "concretas" and were very popular in the 30's and 40's - a precursor to the modern solid perfume we collect today. They normally came in decorate bakelite holders such as yours. Having the figural picture makes them more collectable that the ones you may see painted with flowers and such. Molinard produced a lot of these - the ones you have are less frequently seem.

Congrats!

#10 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 07:27 AM

Carolyn,

How do they smell?? [Confused]

#11 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 09:04 AM

Hi Carolyn,

You have a very nice treasure!!! And to have so many in such good shape.

Maybe a whole new collection??? You have a very nice start. And takes less room than Factices. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] .

Are the fires out around Boise yet??

Ann

#12 cka

cka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 01:10 PM

Lisa, Ann and Woody:

Thanks for all the help from board members and for your kind words about my find. For the ages of these solids, they smell quite good - surprise, surprise. They have turned browner in color though from age. I assumed they were bakelite, but didn't want to use the stick test on them and I didn't have any of the solution you can use to tell if they are bakelite.

Today for the first time in a long time, we can see the foothills surrounding our valley. There has been so much smoke you couldn't see them. There are still 15 fires in the state, but some of the roads are opening up and some of the fires are being controlled. It's only supposed to be 92 today, so maybe with this cool weather (???) it will help. It's dry heat though. lol, Ann.

I went to an estate sale today and found some perfume bottles in sets (Chanel) and two Schiaparelli items. Now to find a place for them.

I'm giving a presentation tomorrow evening on perfume bottles. The group is mixed with men and women so I will have to work on what I present to make it interesting for everyone. I'm trying to decide which solids to take for show and tell. Any ideas? Solids are so much lighter to carry than full factices. I'll also take some minis, perfume jewelry, a book or two and some miscellaneous bottles. I have my photo book to share and will show my video. I've told my friend to give me a time-out when 45 minutes is completed. When I get on my bandbox about bottles, I could talk for hours. another lol.

Carolyn

#13 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 01:16 PM

Hi Carolyn,

For sure take your new find!!!

Your talks on perfume stuff is always wonderful and you will do a great job. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Take the new Beyond Paradise necklace. Men like to get ideas for presents . Like we don't tell them often enough. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

You might also tell them which factice not to buy. Gaultier's Fragile . [New Laugh] [New Laugh] [New Laugh]
Mine is still on the slow leak but expect it to explode any day now like yours did.

What kind of Schiaparelli did you find?

Ann

[ August 21, 2003, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: ann and ken ]

#14 cka

cka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 05:41 PM

Thanks, Ann, for the suggestions. I was planning to take the new Beyond Paradise. We still don't have it in Boise, so that would be something new to them to discuss. We probably never will get the solid flower here.

The Schiaparelli I got is a wonderful talcum powder (Shocking). It's different from the other one I had, so that was special to me. I also got a Shocking box (only) that has the pink pillow puff interior.

I also got a Channel Three Moods with both boxes. They are cute little bottles with the glass daubers.

Carolyn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users