83 replies to this topic

#76 Lauderlover

Lauderlover

Lauderlover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 12:29 AM

The seller is trying to let you know whether it comes in the original EL box or the plain gold box. The Las Vegas store used to throw the original estee lauder boxes away and sell the compacts in a plain gold box. [Mad] They stopped doing that, but this is what the seller may be trying to explain. [Wink]

#77 Fee

Fee

Fee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 01:35 AM

wow Lauderlover I didn't realise that Vegas actually threw the original box away to replace it with the plain old gold box! [Eek!]

Karen : the 'Vegas Box' as I know it is just a plain gold square box (could be from anywhere!) no EL markings or labels whatsoever and the few I have came with a square of cottonwool type material in the bottom and sometimes lucky enough to be tied up with a 'Las Vegas' gold embossed blue ribbon. The solid itself just sits in the box - no formed tray at all. [Puzzled]
I have seen a picture of a hatbox for sale on ebay once that looked like it may have been sat in a piece of gold card with a circle cut out - not sure if that is how it came.
Hmmmm [Wink] [Big Grin]

#78 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 03:30 AM

A question for Ann and Ken...

Ann do you recall that I looked at your Palm Tree at the Convention?

I did comment to you at the time that I was a little disappointed as I expected it to be more lush, as portrayed in the original photograph.

Which one did you have? Hope you don't mind my asking!

Jacky [Wink] [Wink]

#79 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 08:29 AM

Hi ,

We got the same one everyone got.
We got ours a little early to put on display but it is the same.

The photo we all looked at for so long looks a little different than the actual tree.
That is why the warning not to fall in love with the photos because the solid may be differrent when you get it.

Ann

#80 Mini

Mini

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 09:31 AM

Hi everybody, just found out from Micky (Sinai) that she is expecting her Palm Tree solids in mid-July. She said she has still got some 'Wedding Cake' if anyone is interested. Sweet dream! [Sleep] [Sleep] [Sleep]

#81 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 05:23 PM

Fee,

I bought a peach a few months ago and was dissappointed about the box also. The seller said it comes "mint in it's original box", so I assumed it was the usual fitted (or cylinder) box. Instead, it was the plain gold box you're talking about. Unfortunately, mine didn't come with a ribbon. [Mad] If I ever find a replacement and decide to resell my current peach, then collectors unfamiliar with this probably won't believe me (or will bid low). [Cry]

#82 Aussie Girl

Aussie Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 11:04 PM

Lauderlover & Fee

How stupid is that - you would think that an E.L. store would want to sell their product in a box with the name on it. I'm glad they have stopped doing that. As a collector & for the money they cost, I want a solid purchased new from the store in it's original E.L. box & with the white outer box too. Our biggest department store, Myer, actually throw out the white outers before the solids get onto the counters which I find quite amazing. They told me they take up too much room!

Karen [Eek!] [Eek!]

#83 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 06:01 AM

How much room can they take up if they are left on the boxes?????????????

Nancy

#84 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 11:04 AM

Yes, it is true. When I worked for Lauder we threw the outer white boxes out!! [Eek!]

Not for lack of space but because of habit, a lot of Lauder products come in a outer white box since the bar code is on the gold box it was easier to access with out the outer box so they were tossed.

We need to educate the sales people on this subject, this last season I had a talk with the counter manager at Bloomingdales telling her to please keep the outer white boxes with the solids. She was totally unaware that it was important to collectors.

When calling to preorder solids this season, let the sales associates know that you want the white box and not to throw them out. [Big Grin]

[ June 07, 2003, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users