87 replies to this topic

#61 Nicki169

Nicki169

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 11:13 PM

Nancy,
I'm glad your back from Holiday. I missed your posts while you were away. You had me laughing with this post. The way you described Woody with sunglasses and a raincoat selling solids! [New Laugh] [New Laugh]

Have a nice day.
Barb

#62 mimi

mimi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 01:43 PM

Nancy, Nancy, Nancy..... [Big Grin]

SO GLAD that you're back. [Big Grin] Sorry about your computer. Please keep in touch as much as possible.....I get worried when we don't hear from you!! [Confused]

Mimi

#63 Fee

Fee

Fee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 03:22 PM

Welcome back, Nancy! and Welcome back, Woody! [Big Grin]

Hey Nancy, maybe a nice jewelled laptop solid is on the cards? [New Laugh] [New Laugh] [New Laugh]

[ October 20, 2003, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Fee ]

#64 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 04:07 PM

Nancy,

Wait until I see you tomorrow! You really made me laugh.

Whipping open his raincoat to show solids!!!!! [New Laugh] [New Laugh] And laptop... thought you were going on about dancers for the moment! Honestly Nancy, the mind boggles.

Joking apart, although I can't stop laughing, it will be interesting tomorrow at our get together hosted by Estee Lauder at Harrods. I did post details under Good PR.

Have a good flight! You will be sprouting wings soon!

Jacky

#65 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 04:43 PM

Nancy - love that sense of humour! VERY funny [New Laugh] [New Laugh] [New Laugh]

Lovely to be able to have a few laughs on serious topic just to put us all back in perspective.
Thanks!

#66 lauderlady

lauderlady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 09:15 AM

Dear all
I have just got back from holiday and cannot believe my eyes [Eek!]
How could Woody have been treated this way?
Is this a taste of what's to come for all of us??
Why don't EL check out Ebay for all the sellers if that's their game!!!
Woody is a great person and never adds loads of margin to his items.. I wouldn't be able to buy some items here in England as they are not on sale so Woody gains a little EL gain a lot!!
Are they now discriminating the British buyer then?
Go get 'em Woody for all our sakes!
On a lighter note NY and the cruise was Fantastic and I had lots of good advice on this site so thanks!!
Also Donna at Bergdorf (I know you sometimes view the board when you get a chance) thank you so much for really taking care of me! It was a real pleasure to meet you! [Wink]
Nancy... Can you take me with you for Christmas shopping? and you might cause Woody to catch the flu if he goes ahead with your idea [Silly]
Best wishes to all
Maggie [Cool]

#67 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 12:30 PM

Thank you all for your good wishes. I'm not sure if Jacky has put a post about Harrods in another section but I'll just give a quick run-down of how our day went and my view of it. I did enjoy my day down in London. It was good from start to finish. Alison, Janine, the Head of Marketing and Christina, from New York were all very nice and I am probably nit-picking here but- The solids were all laid out for us to see but it would have been nice to have had a bit of a presentation just to give a bcakground even. At the start, when there were only a few of us, my friend and I being the first to arrive, (suprise, suprise)we were asked for our suggestions for next year. Would you believe my mind was blank!? The room was quite small I thought, for the number of people who were there. I'm sorry I didn't count how many. It got very warm in a short space of time. We did meet a few nice people, and of course, asked if they knew about this site.They do now! They didn't have the Harrods Taxi on display as it wasn't in, but, when we went downstairs to the counter it had arrived. We were told the Chairman would 'perhaps' come along but he didn't. To me it seemed a bit vague and bitty. Perhaps it was because it was the first and I don't want to do anything to put them off having another one. A few people were suprised we had come all the way from Scotland, just for the day, (my bank manager was one of them!) Perhaps if we'd had more notice we could have gotten cheaper flights. That would have helped but we had a great day, it could just have been better. I like Alison, she is very nice and if she was the one who arranged things I'm sorry if I upset her it is just it could have been a really good opportunity for them to really give a lot of information but they just wanted sales. Maybe because of the Neiman Marcus presentation at the IPBA this year. Oh I don't know, I guess what I am saying is it seemed a bit flat and I think they missed out. No taxi on show, which is one of the three Harrods exclusives and the chairman might show up. It would have been better if they hadn't said anything and then it would have been a great surprise if he had and they would have lost nothing if he hadn't. I hadn't taken my letter so when we arrived we asked at Information for directions, they knew nothing about it. My friend had her letter, got it out and we were directed to the Urban Retreat. When we got there and asked about the Estee Lauder presentation we were told EL was on the ground floor! Staff should have been informed about what was going on so they could direct people it wasn't too professional. Hopefully they will learn and get it better next year. Maybe they could even get some of the collectors to show some of the older solids.
Gosh, hope I don't offend anyone, do you think I'll get a phone call Woody?????

Nancy

PS I have made up a spreadsheet of the price differences between US & UK and hope Jack can add it to the site. The differences are interesting but there is no rhyme or reason to them.

#68 klassicguy1

klassicguy1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 02:04 PM

[Eek!] Better be careful....never know who is watching and reading.... [New Laugh] [New Laugh]

Loved your post the other day. It was hilarious. Watch for post from me later to hopefully wrap this whole nasty incident up.

#69 klassicguy1

klassicguy1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 02:48 PM

Hello Everyone! I am back! It has taken me a few days to settle in and get reorganized. Again, I wanted to thank everyone for their posts and e-mails! I have some great friends here and I am so thankful. That is one of the most positive aspects of collecting these solids.

I have heard nothing more from Estee Lauder. I have found a number of the posts very intriguing as to the subject matter of lawsuit and lack of disclosure on EsteeÝs part ˝ but life it too short too deal with all that mess. I have thought a lot about the incident and I wanted to clarify a few things. Whether or not someone ýturned me inţ or not will never be known. I am going with the belief that no one on this site ˝ or involved with collecting - would feel the need to do something like that. However, it is absolutely certain than it was an Estee Lauder corporate representative that called me. I have the personÝs name, return phone number and reason for calling on a recorded voicemail. After speaking with the individual, my follow-up calls to both Vegas and NY confirmed that indeed purchase records had been reviewed and they were told to no longer sell to me. In fact, two pending shipment orders that had been charged to my account were credited back a few days later. I still go back to how I could be accused of wrongdoing when in fact it was the same corporate stores they were proactively soliciting my business and selling me the solids? If there were limits, they were never disclosed. I have bought a large number of solids, and I thought it was a positive thing.

To answer EsteeÝs question, I bought these solids for my own collection, for friends, for gifts, for investment, for trade, for donation and supply to IPBA and Compact Club auctions, and to sell to support my purchases of the new solids as they were issued. Some solids I have sold at a loss ˝ should I ask for money back since the accusation is I am making money by diverting the goods? As has been stated in a good number of the posts, many, many people buy and sell - all you need to do is look at Ebay. I have randomly asked a few Saks and Niemans reps as to any limit on what I could purchase and the resounding response was ýnoţ. I could buy as many as they had and they were very excited at the prospect. I was going to cancel my personal orders with Saks and Niemans this year, but that would only hurt the great salespeople I work with.

People have asked me why I said anything at all to the caller, and in my naivety, my initial thought was that Estee was calling for something positive ˝ reaching out to the collectors for information to help them in supporting us....boy was I wrong. Many people have said it, and now I am a firm believer that Estee does not realize and appreciate the value this site and we collectors bring to them in getting new collectors interested in ˝ and keeping the existing collectors interested in - continuing this crazy and fun hobby. They should be calling to thank us for our purchases ˝ especially the crazy people like me who buy duplicates. I am going through my extra solids and putting together a pile that can go back to the corporate stores. I certainly donÝt need to keep them since the company is being discriminatory by no longer selling to me.

I havenÝt decided not to collect anymore, but I will certainly do it differently in the future. I will buy off Ebay or privately ˝ even some of the new ones are cheaper on Ebay right now ˝ whatÝs up with that? Is Estee looking into that? What about those warehouse sales ˝ are there limits there?

Oh well, life goes on and the fun continues! I will still be around and involved.....just look for the guy in the dark sunglasses and trenchcoat as Nancy described.

This is Agent ýSolid007ţ signing off. [Cool]

[New Laugh] [New Laugh] [New Laugh] [New Laugh]

#70 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 04:49 PM

Hi Woody,

Please don't give up on collecting!!!
As you say there are other ways to buy. [Big Grin]

After giving this matter so more thought , I think maybe where we( collectors)may have gone wrong was thinking that EL might be interested in us when they started coming to conventions and talking to us, we thought they wanted our imput and we were happy to help. When we started asking questions things changed, it went in two short years to hostile then to "we will no longer take questions". So excited we were that they appeared to be interested we were very disappointed when we slowly discovered they only just wanted our orders.

We now have proof positive that EL is only interested in "selling" ( one to a customer only)their product , which is their right( even if stupid marketing).

We need to get back to the fun and love of the solids and seperate our selves from being concerned with EL in anyway . They only make the product. We have the power to buy or not, love them or dislike them and EL's lack of concern shall not stop us.

The powers at EL are not sitting in my curio cabinet , a cute little solid is and it makes me smile. [Big Grin]

I see a trench coat in Ken's future. [New Laugh]

Ann

#71 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 06:42 PM

This is very shocking! I can't believe corporate people do such things. The main question is how did they get your phone number? I'd be [Mad] and [Suspicious] if they found mine.

Why would they care how much you spent? It's not of their business. If they are really concerned, they should have already made rules (like those CCS). Instead, they chose to harrass after the fact. Funny, I thought corporations are in business to make $. It makes as much sense as the LV store in Paris...and French companies in general--no offense. [Mad]

I doubt collectors reported Woody. It's most likely corporate heads who noted the big spenders and decided to do a witch-hunt. Did they call other people? Was Woody singled out? If so, why did they chose him? Other sellers are much more prolific.

It was a terrible mistake to contact Lauder repeatidly. Some of you already know they have a history of not caring about collectors etc. So, why bother them further? Lauder may have eventually found this site if people didn't point them here. But the fact is, collectors kept commanding Lauder's attention. The result was no help, again... surprise surprise. Plus, they forced Lisa and Jack to change the site name/URL. Hindsight is 20/20. Nothing good comes from big enities getting involved. Look at Woody's situation. Will they come back to do more damage? Will they attempt to prevent anybody from listing their products on ebay? Will they increase prices so the expensive solids cost $1000?

After all these problems, shouldn't collectors finally STOP contacting Lauder? It is a futile effort based on past experiences. The best solution is if a collector becomes "one of them" so he/she can authorize changes. Otherwise, our activities will be monitored; we will still have no offers of help; activies such as buying will be restricted. WWe can help each other. It's amazing how knowledgeable some collectors are.

#72 mimi

mimi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 10:02 PM

Hi Solid 007..... [Cool] [Cool]

Glad you're back!! Just remember Woody.... you really are THE BEST!! [Big Grin]

Best wishes from,

MimiPenney (remember MoneyPenny?) [New Laugh]

#73 lmsw1

lmsw1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 02:19 AM

Hi Woody,
Wow I hope it doesn't stop you from collecting and selling. I personally am glad you do it - I've always felt lucky when you had one of the solids I've been searching for. They should be glad for all of us, not discouraging you...

#74 klassicguy1

klassicguy1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 07:42 PM

And just when I thought this was all over with....There is one CC store that I have patronized over the past few years. The ladies were extremely nice and helpful. Today I rec'd a call to tell me that they could no longer sale to me. The company is tracking sales. The manager told me that the company was going to crack down on multiple sales to individuals and may not even be able to sell compacts any longer. Again, here is a store that did their job - sold their products - but are now in trouble because of it. There was more to the discussion, but I won't bore you with the details.

I had all my extras packed to send back to the Corporate stores a month ago - but was informed politely thru a neutral party that there is a 30 day return policy and I could not return....So, let's see...I can't buy and I can't return....sounds pretty unfair to me.

That's it for me. This company can dump bushels of compacts and empty solids at warehouse sales - at giveawy prices - that are all over Ebay, but the person who buys retail is forbidden from purchasing? I can spend my money on something else......

#75 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 11:50 PM

Hi Woody,
I'm blown away by these
quote:

Ignorant Idiots
Let 'em eat cake! [Eek!] [New Laugh] [Razz]
Bye, KK [Big Grin]