87 replies to this topic

#16 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 05:26 PM

Martha:

Excellent point...possibly someone from EL trying to make points based on a gossipy phone call.

#17 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 05:32 PM

Jack -

You're absolutely correct; however, it still took someone to "alert" EL to Woody's selling. The fact that trust has been removed from this site makes me a little ill.

Woody says he's finished...this is so sad. Hope you busy little callers are happy!

Michele

#18 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 05:55 PM

It wouldn't take a gossipy phone call or someone on this site to cause what has happened. A huge Corporate Company is not going to get involved in that way!

Meanwhile, this brings me to another question. Can we make our site more private! We have been down this route before, but I do think it is relevant. Why should anyone log in and read everything and anything! Yes I know you will say that they can join as new members. Well, let them work for it. Logging in takes time and Lisa and Jack have a good idea as to who is who!

Woody, have a good holiday, put this behind you. Life is too short and we are here only once! Meanwhile you know who your friends are!

Jacky

#19 Fee

Fee

Fee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 05:56 PM

Hey Woody,
I am disgusted to hear that your privacy has invaded. [Mad] One thing that sprung to mind was were you able to verify that the phone call was actually made by someone at EL? [Suspicious]

If there are disgruntled folk out there they may stoop to make this nasty call themselves [Mad]

I can't imagine why EL should worry how many of their product you buy - that's what they make them for, why do they have rewards programs if they don't want to encourage their customers to buy more? [Puzzled]

#20 pixiepoo

pixiepoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 06:51 PM

Woody, what a truly creepy experience. Also outrageous, obnoxious and downright tacky. Whoever is making the decisions about this tactic at EL corporate is a blithering idiot. As others have pointed out in this forum, EL would be wise to treat their multiple buyers and collectors as others companies do--by rewarding them for their product loyalty with perks, specials, collectors clubs, exclusive collectors editions, etc. It is absolutely none of their XXXX business what you do with the compacts after you buy them. If anyone at their headquarters had a brain they would realize this. Unfortunately, some corporations have a poorly organized chain of command and often one department has no idea what the other parts are up to. From what I have read about Estee Lauder herself, she would never have tolerated treating any customer in such a manner. She was one of the first to use the "free giveaway" of a product with another product as a marketing tool and counted on her customers to spread the word among their friends about the quality of the product just as we are doing here. Maybe it's just a few imbeciles at corporate that need replacing right now. Why let them spoil your otherwise good experience with EL? Why don't we give them the same sort of third degree they gave you? I suggest sending a copy of all these replies to your post to every vice-president at their corporate headquarters. They should be hiring you to distribute their products instead of harassing you!

#21 FragrantPetals

FragrantPetals

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 07:04 PM

Well said Pixiepoo. Agree 100% with what you have written.

Once all the facts are collated, it could make interesting reading and, bad publicity for EL. Perhaps then, a few heads would roll!

Petals

#22 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 07:09 PM

After thinking about it I feel that we are getting too smart. We are all educating each other and we all now know things we didn't know before. Such as getting the best deal on solids.

We are also making new friends- international friends and perhaps Lauder does not like what we are doing for each other.

No one wants to spend more money if they don't have to and why should they.

Bottom line is why should someone overseas pay $500+ for a solid when it can be purchased here for somewhere around $90 or even less when it is in the CCS. [Suspicious]

[ October 08, 2003, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

#23 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 07:21 PM

Good point Lisa.

What I would like to know is how anyone "reported" Woody to EL? How did they reach anyone? We have all tried to ask /talk to EL for years( Brigitte's post) and no one was ever home or would get back to us and answer questions.

This just creeps me out. Will they be next counting how many watermelons we have in a photo(5)???

Ann

[ October 10, 2003, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: ann and ken ]

#24 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 07:31 PM

OK.... I need to add more.
Lauder has a policy- it is that the beauty advisors are not allowed to sell more than 6 of the same item to one person. This is to prevent the merchandise from getting in the hands of diverters.

For instance I one time had a business man come to the counter during Christmas he wanted to purchase 20 one once Beautiful sprays to give as gifts. If you ask Lauder they will say "you are only allowed to sell 6" What the store would tell you was "sell them!" bottom line for the stores was to pick up market share from the other stores in the mall, it is all just a big competition and who is making more money. The store's solution to selling more than 6 of any one item was to break up the sale and make it as many transactions with no more than 6 of the same thing on the reciept. And it was done all the time. When I worked for Lauder I worked on a level system/no commission imagine someone on commission turning this person away it wouldn't happen!

What I never understood is this- if I turned this man and his sale down he could have gone to Lord & Taylor, Saks, Nordstroms, Bloomingdales & Burdines. These stores are all in the same mall and if he purchased 6 from each store he would now have 36 total. He could then drive 20 minutes and be at another mall, he could also go back every day.

My point is there is no way to put limits on what people buy and like I said before if they want to cut down on the ebay sales
produce less and pull them out of the CCS!

[ October 08, 2003, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

#25 pancho

pancho

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 07:41 PM

The EL company's tactics never cease to amaze me! I think it is beyond ridiculous (as opposed to BEYOND PARADISE) that they would discourage any potential sales. IT IS IRONIC THAT THE MANAGEMENT OF ESTEE LAUDER IN NEW YORK COME TO THE COMPACT CONVENTION AND BUY BACK THEIR OWN SOLIDS/COMPACTS AT HIGHER PRICES THAN THEY WERE ISSUED FOR. THEY ALSO BUY ON EBAY UNDER ASSUMED NAMES, THIS IS A FACT. If people didn't stockpile they wouldn't be able to do that.

I have been saying for a long time that they were an arrogant, greedy bunch. I for one am happy that I have made some $$$ on their products, which has given me the money to build my own collection. I do display my collection in my store, and it has brought lots of enjoyment to myself and many others. In fact that is how I met Woody, he came into our store and saw my collection! I am thinking of breaking it down now!!!!!!!!

I will admit that the Vancouver office has been wonderful to me, and treat me like royalty. They value my business and always take great care with me.

I would have told anyone who called me like they did to Woody, to identify themselves, give me their number and have my attorney call them back.

It is NONE of their business what you do with their products once you have paid for them.

I think we should all boycott their products or at least cut back a lot. After reading all of this I am cancelling my orders for the Cupid's Garden and all of the other's I was ordering.

Sorry to ramble....but I am very upset as well, since as you all know I also sell a lot.

Hugs to Woody, and to Jack, Lisa, Ann, Ken and everyone for all of your efforts in making this a place to enjoy and to "vent".

Brenda from Canada

#26 Linda

Linda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 07:45 PM

I hope the Estee Lauder company doesn't get cocky and arrogant like TY with the Beanie Babies because their empire could collpase, and the value of our collections with it.
I really feel so badly for Woody...he's such a nice person, and EL should be glad to have customers like him!!

#27 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 07:47 PM

It is probable that the person/s on this site ratting on Woody (and may be others) is in competition with him for 'customers', so is trying to stop him. It is also probable that they work for the outlets or whatever stores over there that get rid of them in bulk for next to nothing. They aren't trusted sellers like Woody, so miss out on the world 'market' . . . however, I am sure the greedy buggers still make enough.

Secondly, I don't think EL can stop worldwide fast communication like this site, Ebay and email, so it may be good news to people outside the US that prices may be coming down so that we don't have to 'take our business overseas'.

More & more people over here in Australia know that you can get things cheaper 'online' though the bargain is dependant on our exchange and cost of shipping.

Still, it's a world known fact that you don't have to travel these days to get something that doesn't come into the country in the shops.

Takes away the fun and experience, but saves the $$$$.

#28 Brigitte

Brigitte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 08:28 PM

Lisa,

what I absolutely don't understand about the limit on selling goods to one person is that on one side EL or the dept. store, I don't who it is, increases the goal for the SA each year or even each month and on the other hand they put a limit on the pieces that may be sold to the same person, without mentionning that a person can always go to different stroes to buy things, this is another solution. Why should a person not buy more than 1 solid for themselves or to give to someone as a gift??? I could well imagine that f.e. a rich family could give a wedding cake to each woman joining the wedding of their children or something similar, a bearhug or a rocking horse, or a toywagon to each woman joining the christening of their child. Might occur or not??? Why would EL not be happy with that???? So if someone would buy more than 1 piece EL could never know if the person who buys it want to give the items away as a gift or if they want to make money with the solids (or what ever it is). Even if the pieces were bought to resell what does EL care about that...They have a higher turnover and that should be good for them. It's another question if that's good for the collectors, but
EL NEVER CARED ABOUT THE COLLECTORS
besides taking preorders at the various conventions.

Concerning some among the members being involved in that sad story I don't even want to think about. It has been a long time since I suggested that all member should have to identify themselves, at least towards Lisa & Jack, the owners of this wonderful site. At each club you want to join it is the normal way to inscribe yourself. According to my oppinion privacy is something that in any case doesn't exist anymore in this world (just think about all the spam we have in our e-mails every day). So if one hasn't to hide anything why couldn't she/he indentify her/himself when joining the club??

Sorry for the firework, but I always have to say what I think or I keep quiet and today I just couldn't keep quiet anymore.

I love this site so much and would like it to be a enjoyable, calme place where, thanks to Lisa and Jack, we are allowed to have fun and chat about solids. We have enough quarrels, jealousy, wars etc. in the world to not bring them into this wonderful place too.

Brigitte

[ October 08, 2003, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: Brigitte ]

#29 pixiepoo

pixiepoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 08:50 PM

Don't you just love the internet? It is giving more power to the consumer than ever before and that is what scares the folks in the marketing departments. I think it's miraculous that Woody can spread the word all over the World in minutes! (Hello there in Switzerland).
Lisa, you're right, the consumers are getting smarter, thanks to you and your site! [Wink]

#30 klassicguy1

klassicguy1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 09:00 PM

I want to thank everyone for their posts and e-mails. All those good wishes mean a lot [Smile] I am still in a mild state of shock that I received the call. It is my belief that this was a corporate review gone amiss. I understand about diversion and all that - but as I think about it - I was a retail customer, buying retail priced products from a retail store. In fact, I was encouraged to purchase by excellent, attentive salespeople with proactive calls when new items were available. Isn't that what "sales" is all about and the salespersons primary job? Why else would we get the calls from Estee, Saks, Niemans, etc.? Now, that same retail company that I thought was happy for my business has called me and basically made me feel like I was committing a crime. It's scary to feel that your actions are being watched. I am not sure how I will react in the long run. The Estee Stores will no longer sell to me to which my reply is ......it's only a solid but my good collector friends are forever! Going on vacation tomorrow and will be back on the 20th! Thanks again to everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users