• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 klassicguy1

klassicguy1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 02:51 PM

I want to share with my collector friends the very upsetting experience I encountered today. I received a phone call from Corporate Estee Lauder asking me to explain why I bought so many of their compacts from the Vegas and Manhasset stores. My purchase records had been reviewed and indicated I bought multiples of compacts. I feel my privacy has been invaded. I am still in shock.

When I shared that I buy for myself and to trade with other collectors here and abroad, including people in the collectors clubs we are in, I did not receive a "thank you" for your business but further questioning on who I would trade with and why would I ship to Europe. I have already called the store managers of both Vegas and Manhasset and informed them that I would no longer buy from them.

I was told me this was being done to discourage diversion - people buying multiple quantities of their product and reselling for more money. HELLO! Look at Ebay. I wish I had thought to ask why Estee doesn't worry about the buyers from their warehouse sales buying bags full of items and reselling them. What has been a very fun experience for me has been totally ruined.

#2 Brigitte

Brigitte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 03:14 PM

Hi Woody,

this really is an uncredible story. Why did you ever answer their questions??? I can't understand you. I'd immediately have hung up the telephone receiver. this is the culmination (is this correct) of impertinence. Couldn't report this to the police as they badly infringed your privacy??? If there is any chance that they will be punished for that I would denunciate the EL company as this really is an unsurpassable piece of impudence. They don't start back from any insolence if they think someone else might make money which they think would be their own business.

Take care, Brigitte

#3 Jack

Jack

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 03:49 PM

Unbelieveable. Why would any company care? They make a product and put a price on it, if people buy it...isn't their job done?

If there is a resale market for their products, then they either have a marketing problem, a distribution problem, or a pricing problem. They can't blame consumers.

Oh, for the record...(and this is just my opinion) after seeing the quality of the general distribution solids, I don't think they'll have to worry about there being any secondary market for those.

#4 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 04:03 PM

Gees Woody! What a rude experience. They get their asking price for the solids - you think they'd be grateful, and it's none of their business how many 'friends' you may want to generously give them to as presents! [Wink]

Seriously, you are right - it is an invasion of your privacy - it's a shame that you may have to start screening your phone calls.

I'm sad for you and shocked too!

#5 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 04:07 PM

Woody,

I am absoutly outraged about what happened to you! [Mad] How dare they call you.

Maybe we should call them and ask them why they produce so many in the first place?? I don't understand why they care what happens after a sale, the item is now your property and you have the right to do whatever you like with them. And you are absoulty correct about the warehouse sales and the CCS.

If anyone noticed, there has been a seller on ebay selling the Strongwater solids I emailed him inquiring on where he got them and how many he had, he replied that he had about 30 of each of last years Strongwaters and is still selling them on ebay. Also a while ago a seller on ebay contacted me and told he he had a box of empty solids totaling around 800 he even had all kinds of prototypes. Both of these sellers made a fortune and the Strongwaters are still being sold.

I wonder if Lauder contacted these people??? [Mad] [Mad]

[ October 08, 2003, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

#6 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 04:09 PM

This is a very sad turn of events. Woody - do you honestly think Estee Lauder has the time or desire to go over everyone's spending habits? Not possible.

Hard as this is for me to deal with or believe, someone "turned you in." Yes, I honestly believe there are people on this board who hate eBay sellers enough to do that. No...I know that. My own rep has been called more than once whenever a solid I've bought has been listed...called by one of the people on this site.

Woody, you don't have to answer to anyone for buying or selling. Estee Lauder makes their profit, their employees make more than their share of profit (and then sell them on eBay), and sellers usually end up losing money. But, we introduce so many people to the Solid Collecting world that no one should make you stop.

It's a shame...reminds me of history classes and stories of Nazi Germany when friends turned in friends. These are very sad, bitter, jealous people who have no life, Woody. Don't let them get you down...and don't worry about Estee Lauder. I do believe they have infringed on your privacy and your rights, and I would personally contact an attorney. At least it would bring to the surface the traitor in our midst who gave your name.

I will email you my phone number in case you wish to talk to me about it...it makes me physically ill to think about it.

I received $984 worth of solids in the mail today...for myself. Sunday I spent over $1,200 at Neiman's. They're all going back. Let the employees have them.

Hang in there...lots of us are behind you.

Michele

#7 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 04:16 PM

Can't imagine anyone hating Woody! However, from Michele's comments it seems as though some people are have nothing else to do other than to watch other people and complain because they are jealous or have mental problems.

Talk about 'big brother' and communism!

#8 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 04:21 PM

Here's a little note for Estee Lauder. Cupid's Garden is one of the ugliest pieces of crap I've seen in years. He's squished into a gazebo, and standing on something that resembles the glue they use in those horrible mousetraps.

Whoever ok'd that one should be fired.

#9 FragrantPetals

FragrantPetals

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 04:53 PM

I do not think that anyone has turned Woodi in. Personally I am of the opinion that esteelauder do not like us collectors being able to buy their solids at the U.S pricings. They have rulings whereby you are not supposedly to sell, trade etc. But with other collectables, you do just that. This is the nature of the beast. Paintings go under the hammer from one purchaser to another, anything and everything. Where there is a buyer, there is a seller and esteelauder can do nothing about it. Are they going to stop Ebay trading? Can they stop Ebay trading? Who the hell do they think they are. The Big Brother equasion to the Nazis is a good one! How dare they phone people in their homes. How dare they dictate what, how and when. Once a product is sold, the person who has bought the product can do what they like with it.

The Big Brother attitude is in existence in their outlet shops, as they monitor who buys, and what! Meanwhile, anyone to phone someone and stipulate what they do with their purchases and why they do this, is an infringement.

I wouldn't give them a second thought. I would just get on with it. The people you are buying from are obviously reporting back to the Powers that be. Obviously estee are worried about their diminishing profits with Woodi selling products at a lower price!

I shall cry buckets for this company! They really can't afford to lose any of their profits as they might drown!

That would be a good one! Then the solids would raise in value, and wouldn't we Collectors have fun!

Petals

#10 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 04:59 PM

Dearest Woody,

Like everyone else we are stunned!!!

I am at loss for words to discribe how horrible this is.
In all the years we have known you , you have always been honest and a great help to folks looking for a solid or compact many times at your own expense.

It was bad enough that EL will not help us collectors in any way now they are trying to distroy us.

I am sure I will have more to say on this as soon as I can gather my thought.

Did you get a name or number of who called??
Think maybe as a group we should try to express our selves to EL higher ups.

Ann & Ken

#11 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 04:59 PM

I wish you were right, Petals. But I know who they are. (Yes..."they" as in more than one.) [Mad]

#12 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 05:02 PM

Can you share so we know who to blame for this .

Ann

#13 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 05:17 PM

I'm afraid not, Ann. That would be stooping to their level, now wouldn't it?

#14 Jack

Jack

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 05:20 PM

Even if someone did call EL, it's ultimately EL to blame for saying anything other than "who cares".

#15 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 05:23 PM

Woody,

You are my favorite Seller, and I am very disappointd in Estee Lauder. Fragrantpetals has a good point, but I think Michele may be right in that a disgruntled Buyer ratted you out. You may have been contacted by someone at EL who was operating totally outside their parameters (like a loose cannon ball on a rolling ship's deck ... in a hurricane!). This was a huge public relations blunder by EL. Just look at the havoc they have caused on this site!

Personally, I would send a certified letter to EL outlining what happened to you today and see what their reply is. You are one of their biggest assets (ours, too [Big Grin] )!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users