69 replies to this topic

#16 Aussie Girl

Aussie Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 02:07 AM

Hi everyone,

I have been on holiday & am just catching up with all the posts but have a copy of an eBay auction for the ivory 'Cinnabear' which solid for US$4,055.00 on 2nd January 2002. I guess this one has a way to go yet. [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

Karen

#17 Brigitte

Brigitte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 01:37 PM

Hi Ann,

you are right it was in Atlanta in 2000!!!
I remember very well as it was a funny story. Someone offered me this bear for $ 300.00 in Sept. 1999. At that time I didn't even know that it existed and hadn't even seen a pic of it, but I thought this is a solid that I don't yet own and accepted her offer. The lady got very ill and therefore the deal hasn't taken place. In Sprin she contacted me again asking whether I still were interseted in buying the panda. I said yes and she wanted to send it to the hotel in Atlanta. The evening we arrieved we had a little wellcome party at Moniques room and Suzanne wanted to bid on the panda but she didn't have her computer. I got mine and I bet on it for her. I was quite relaxed as I knew I would get mine and I must admit I was very much astonished when the auction price went up and up and up. I thought how lucky I am to have been offered it for $ 300.00. My highbid was $ 2500.00 but I was overbidden. The next day the lady who should have sent my panda to the hotel called me telling me that she had seen the auction when it started and had not yet sent my panda as she wanted to wait and see how high it would go on the auction. she said that she feels sorry but she couldn't sell the panda to me for $ 300.00. So finally I had to pay much more than the $ 300.00 for it.

I don't begrudge it to anyone finding a bargain, but as far as it concerns myself I'm never lucky in these things.

Have a great day

Brigitte

#18 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 02:48 PM

Brigitte,

Loved the story!

'The best laid plans of mice and men!'

Jacky [Wink]

[ November 22, 2003, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: Jacqueline ]

#19 mimi

mimi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 10:30 PM

Hi Brigitte,

I enjoyed your sharing the Panda experience with us.....I wish that you had gotten it for $300.00!! I really cannot imagine a piece going for $4055.00 [Eek!] ....I thought the "Princess" was THE most valuable of the Ivory collection.... Wow!!

Best to you and thanks...

Mimi [Smile]

#20 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 01:56 AM

We need a URL here...at least I do:

Very Expensive Panda Bear on Ebay

#21 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 03:03 AM

Michele,

Thanks alot for this. Was trekking all over Ebay last night and somehow couldn't find it! Must have been [Sleep]

Karen, hope you had wonderful holiday..... [Smile]

#22 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 05:00 AM

I'm with Mimi on this one - I'm suprised that the amount easily surpasses that of the 'Princess'. Is it THAT rare? [Puzzled]

I guess it's going to be one of the ones that I'll never have !!! [Cry]

I'm glad you got one Brigitte, but although you had to pay more, be glad you didn't have to bid on it!! You could have been MOST unlucky had the lady decided to put it on Ebay!

#23 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 10:20 AM

You're very welcome, Jacky. It was driving me nuts too! And, it's still climbing with 1+ day to go. [Eek!]

#24 klassicguy1

klassicguy1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 06:44 PM

Congratulations to the winner! Enjoy!

#25 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 06:47 PM

Congratulations.. Well done! Great! Alot of us were very tense watching this one....

[Smile]

#26 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 06:48 PM

Congratulations to whoever was the winner! A bit steep, but a true collector. [Wink]

Now if you'll excuse me, I must go take some blood pressure medication as I was watching it climb.

Happy Thanksgiving to All! [Smile] [Smile]

#27 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 06:59 PM

Absolutely gobsmacked over here!!

An incredible win! [Cool]

Well done !

#28 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 07:14 PM

Don't know what "gobsmacked" means, but my head is pounding and my "refresh" button won't work anymore.

Again, congratulations to whoever! [Wink] I'm sure everyone feels the same...they're just too shy to say anything.

#29 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 07:23 PM

Michele,

"Gobsmacked" is the more emphatic version of "speechless", I guess.

But yes, I suppose we are all feeling the same about the end price - and even for those unlucky underbidders who put in quite sizeable bids!

#30 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 07:32 PM

Ok...then I'm gobsmacked! Now if you'll excuse me, I'm getting dressed to go bear hunting. [New Laugh]

Seriously, must go roll some pumpkin bread, and maybe drink a teensy toast to the winner... [Wink]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users