• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#46 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 04:54 PM

It's paperwork. Those who know how, do and those that don't know or can't be bothered, don't or won't. Here too you have to apply . . . . sometimes consumers don't bother because it's too much of a hassle.

Sometimes shop assistants are told not to mention it (or play dumb) for O/S buyers unless they mention it first . . . and sometimes you have to demand it ! Then there's the paperwork and the wait for a refund.

Still, if you are getting things cheaper from O/S, then you figure that it's a bargain already and don't bother to claim the tax back. (That's what all governments rely on I think - supports their travel and entertainment budgets).

Tch!

#47 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 06:06 PM

Maybe American SA's don't know what "VAT" means--they know "sales tax". Each state sets their own amount. We still have to pay sales tax if we go to another state. You don't pay if buying goods from the internet.

From personal experience, the UK is the easiest place to get VAT deducted. SA's easily give out information.

Canada is easy on some things and tough on others. If I remember correctly, hotels were the easiest.

Czech Republic is the most difficult. Most stores don't automatically deduct. It's difficult to get help. The airport is the only place I know and it's time consuming. My husband and I had to figure it out ourselves.

#48 dante

dante

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 02:08 AM

I received my Harrod's bear today, excellent service, it was dispatched on the 29th, & considering I live half way round the world from the UK and there was a weekend and public holiday in between a week is fab service [Smile] [Smile]

He is so very cute [Big Grin] [Big Grin] . Thanks Lisa, and everyone on the site without this site and the feedback from everyone I would never have known I could call Harrod's & order their solids. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Dante

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users