47 replies to this topic

#31 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 12:27 AM

Hi Ron -

Possibly my shipping was a little higher because the Phone Booth is so much heavier than the Teddy Bear? 25 vs 28 GBP...makes sense, doesn't it?

They really should enclose a tiny little fork-lift with the phone booth so it would be easier to get out of the box without straining anything. [Big Grin]

Michele

[ November 03, 2003, 12:21 AM: Message edited by: Michele ]

#32 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 12:51 AM

Am really surprised that any of you have received your orders from the U.K. I haven't seen the Postman for aproximately two weeks and all our post boxes are sealed here in London! Posted a package to not far out of London, ( a tube of herbal cream which a friend needed) but by the time she receives it, it will be Whipped Cream! She should have received this the following day. It is now two weeks!

Joking apart, the backlog here must be tremendous so any of you out there still waiting for your deliveries from Harrods, unless they are sending them a special way, prepare to wait!

Yes we have a Postal Strike at the moment. It's about time it ended but who knows what's going on!

#33 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 01:13 PM

NEWS FLASH!

Unofficial postal strike coming to an end!

Wonder how long before everything gets back to normal!

!!

#34 Fee

Fee

Fee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 04:46 PM

Hey Jacky,
Harrods use a courier service, hence the high postage costs so presumably they would not have been on strike? [Puzzled]
Having said that my bear isn't here yet but that could be something to do with my SA being on holiday everytime the orders come in! [New Laugh]
Hopefully he's on his way [Silly]

#35 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 06:19 PM

Hey, Jacky,

Fee is right. My package arrived via EMS (which I think stands for Express Mail Service). The package was mailed on Wednesday, October 29, from Knightsbridge and arrived on Saturday, November 1, and was brought to our house by a U.S. postal employee. Our Saturday mail was deliverd as usual by our regular postwoman, so this was a special delivery by a U.S. postal courier. I could not have been more pleased with Harrods' service. [Big Grin]

[ November 03, 2003, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: Martha C ]

#36 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 06:26 PM

Harrods shipping is interesting.

Last year I waited almost 3 months before I received my order. Harrods lost it somewhere in their building. DHL eventually delivered a week after Harrods found it. Tough shopping experience. [Mad]

This year I pre-ordered 3 solids. Harrods wanted to wait, but I insisted they ship the taxi and phone booth last month (despite extra shipping costs--I have reasons). USPS delivered the 2 solids registered.

Now, I'm anxiously awaiting the bear...my favorite. Wonder how and when it will arrive. I hope soon. Knowing my luck..... [Frown] [Roll Eyes]

This year was better, but not perfect. Maybe next year will be smooth.

#37 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 06:43 PM

Really surprised they use this special service. Under the circumstances their shipping costs are not exhorbitant. Thought they shipped registered mail. Must make a note of this company's name for future reference.

I still have to collect my teddies, hopefully this week some time. I certainly won't be posting any until the postal service catches up with itself. All being well that will be before Xmas!!!

#38 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 10:49 PM

Martha's experience with the shipping and handling of the Harrods pieces was identical to mine, and I, too, could not have been more pleased with their service.

Greyhound...the bears were not "set free" until October 21, and everyone who pre-ordered gets them first, or at least their pieces are pulled for mailing. I'm sure yours will arrive very soon. [Wink]

#39 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 12:07 AM

Hi Jacky, BT, you are so witty. For all of you who don't realise that is short for British Telecom, our telephone service here.
Brigitte is correct about VAT is stands for Value Added Tax and was originally introduced for 'luxury' goods although nowadays almost everything is subject to vat! I have tried to find out in America if I could also fill in a form to get my tax back but the SA's look blank when I mention this. Can anyone tell me if there is a way as it can add quite a lot (not as bad as 17.5% vat though) to the price.
I really thought the person who designed the phone box did a great job and hope that there are more like that in the pipeline.

Nancy

[ November 04, 2003, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: Nancy ]

#40 Astrid

Astrid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 02:40 PM

Nancy,

When you are in the US (personally) to buy something, most bigger stores have a department "customer service(s)" where you can pay without VAT.
That's what I know from when I was in Dallas, TX last year, and I bought 3 or 4 solids there. I even did not have to ask about, they send me directly to this department. I paid with my credit card without the VAT.
(Of course you have to mention that at customs when re-entering Scotland ... I for myself forgot that when coming back to Germany [Big Grin] )

Hope this helps ...
Astrid

#41 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 03:33 PM

Astrid,

If our stores in U.K. deduct the VAT automatically when shipping abroad, why when I order from the States do I still pay the Tax when they are shipping here?

Doesn't make sense! Then to add insult to injury, customs charge another lot on top of that if we are unlucky!

Jacky [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

#42 Astrid

Astrid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 03:46 PM

Jacky,

Sure it makes no sense but I don't have an explanation for that. Maybe there's a difference from country to country. Here in Germany, you also have to ask for, they don't deduct VAT automatically. Or maybe it's just a matter of a clever sales person who cares for the customer.

The same strange thing is when purchasing from Donna at BG / NY (no VAT) or Micky (with VAT as far as I know). Explanation ? Nada [Cry]

Astrid

#43 Astrid

Astrid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 03:51 PM

Jacky, addition:

Since you order by phone or even online maybe you cannot get the same "service" (deducting VAT) as if you buy personally. I guess you always have to ask if they would deduct VAT because you are from another country. I really don't know. Did you ever try ?

Astrid

#44 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 04:07 PM

Strange how one Rep can charge Tax and the other not! Beats me! Also, I bet when ordering from Harrods no=one has to ask for the VAT to be deducted. They probably do it automatically! One would hope the same rules would apply to us especially as it doesn't take a genius to work out that the goods are being shipped abroad!

Thanks anyway Astrid. I shall stress this point when purchasing from overseas next time. At the moment I have spent enough money so am trying to resist the obvious!

Aah, yes another point! When I was in Dusseldorf I managed to buy solids there cheaper than in U.K. Service was fantastic. I did a posting on this too! I went to the place that Michaela suggested in Konigsalle. Sorry if I haven't spelt it correctly!

Jacky

#45 Astrid

Astrid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 04:40 PM

Jacky,

I only ordered twice from Harrods, and I don't know if they deducted VAT (don't think so because I paid 'straight' amounts). In the UK, are the prices net prices ?

Yes, I read the post about your shopping trip at Dusseldorf (it is Koenigsallee, no matter [Smile] ) You're lucky if you got solids cheaper, that's unusal. By the way, I posted today the "actual" prices for solids & compacts here in Germany, it's under General Lauder Solids Talk. Maybe after reading it you won't buy solids here in Germany any more [Embarrassed]

Astrid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users