Posted 01 November 2003 - 06:21 AM

B.T. Sorry Nancy, couldn't resist it! [New Laugh] [New Laugh]

#17 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 11:28 AM

Little post script on the Harrod's Bear & Phone Booth...ordered them on the 27th of October, they were shipped out on the 29th, received them today...November 1. Amazing. [Eek!]

Love, love, love the Bear and the Phone Booth is priceless! [Big Grin]

Thanks, all, for your moral support. [Wink]

[ November 01, 2003, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: Michele ]

#18 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 02:20 PM

Michele,

My shipment from Harrod's arrived today, too! The Telephone Booth is my favorite ... the photos just don't do it justice. The cost was a lot less than I had anticipated, because the exchange rate down and then Harrod's deducted the VAT. (Since this was my first order from Harrod's, I wasn't expecting this little bonus.)

#19 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 02:33 PM

Hi Martha -

Agree with you 100%. The phone booth is much nicer than I expected. Isn't it like a little "action figure?" Love the way the door opens to see only the phone and shelf (they really did it up right); then the entire thing opens for the perfume.

Was trying to find Ann's picture because it seemed different, but what do I know...I forget everything. Did her's have more black enamel around it or am I crazy. Don't answer that!

BTW...what the heck is a VAT (excuse my ignorance). They deducted mine, also, so the cost was basically less than if I had bought it over there...or here, for that matter. Major bonus, since I've been very bad this season as far as spending on solids goes. But I must say, shipping was faster from the U.K. than from most cities in the U.S. Very impressive.

Oooops....must go. Promised to help with a little yard work and I hear the blower going. Note...I said "a little" yard work...I think that means I get to observe...

Michele

#20 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 02:49 PM

In the photo the gold appears to be black but there is no black on the solid except for the little phone inside.

The panes of glass on the door photographed black as they were see through.
The color around the Harrods logo is a Harrods green.

Sorry for the confusion , I didn't notice that the Color around the logo was green not black till you asked about it.

If you need for it to be black hold it at an angle wih the roof tilted towards you and squint and it is a lovely shade of black. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Ann

#21 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 02:59 PM

Wow! It works! But now I can't put it down... [Big Grin]

Thanks for your help! [Silly]

#22 Brigitte

Brigitte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 04:11 PM

Michele,

the VAT is the state or luxury taxe. If you had bought your solid in England you could have filled in a special paper. Harrods has an office in the downstairs where they help you to fill in the paper correctly. also you will have to show your passport. When you leave the country you can put this paper into a special letter box at the airport. Then the VAT will be reimbursed to your credit card.
Have a great day
Brigitte

#23 Nata

Nata

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 12:01 AM

Michele,
Can you please tell me how much was the total for Harrod's bear and phone booth with shiping. Over the phone SA told me that the shipping to USA is 30 p.
Thank you, Nata

#24 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 10:06 AM

Hi Nata:

It would probably be better if you went to this site and figured out the exchange on your own as it changes from day to day. I was fortunate to have mine calculated on a "down" day. [Smile]

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

The Delivery Charge was 20# plus 2% insurance (8.20#) or $47.70 USD. (I think. [Big Grin] ) So the rep is probably quoting GBP price for shipping.

Each solid ran 130 GBP ($219.90 USD) each, less the VAT of 19.37 GBP ($32.76 USD) each.

Sooooo, going by USD or the rate on the 27th, the total should be approximately $421.98, or at least I hope that's what I'll find when my statement arrives. Probably should call on that, but I think it's correct.

Again, go to the Currency Conversion Chart to be exact, and be sure to use GBP's.

I'm really sleepy after all that converting, so have a nice Sunday and will see you all later this week! [Wink]

Had to edit this...you poor kid...all you did was ask the total for the two. I probably have your head spinning! [Eek!] The grand total came to 249.96 GBP or $421.98 USD. How's that?

Brigitte - Forgot to thank you for explaining the VAT to me...so....many thanks! [Wink]

[ November 02, 2003, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: Michele ]

#25 Nata

Nata

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 10:38 AM

Michele,
Thank you very much! Nata [Smile]

#26 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 10:42 AM

You're welcome! (Bookmark the Currency Conversion site...it's great to have handy.) [Wink]

WHY am I so TIRED???
[Sleep] [Sleep] [Sleep]

#27 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 10:58 AM

Michele, maybe the reason you're so tired is that you wore yourself out yesterday "observing" the yardwork! [New Laugh] [New Laugh] [New Laugh]

#28 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 11:28 AM

When you are trying to figure out how much your new solids cost don't forget to figure in the shipping and insurance. For mine it was 25 pounds. So after you deduct the vat I saved 13 pounds. I bought 2 bears and came to $413 US.

#29 Fee

Fee

Fee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 06:24 PM

That sounds alright, Ron, do you get hit for customs duty as they come into the country? [Puzzled]

#30 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 12:19 AM

Martha - Never thought of that! Actually, Bubba's here and he's my new buddy. Even offered me a beverage from his 6-pack. Wasn't that sweet?

Truthfully, I bent over to pick up one rogue leaf and threw my back out, thank the Lord. So, I really did just observe. Hey, I'll do anything to get out of the heavy work...

We have a neighbor who rakes twice a day...morning & evening. She makes the rest of us look really bad, so we're all planning a hostile leaf-blowing party at her yard on Friday night. Will let you know how it goes. [New Laugh]

Am sleepy...again...

[Sleep] 'nite all [Sleep]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users