• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 08:26 PM

Foolish or not, I knew what I was about. And I remembered my sweet granny's face and her comforting words when I needed someone to turn to when there was no-one else there for me!

Tears trickled down my cheeks as an overwhelming sadness engulfed me. Craggy Old Sister was not the demented woman she appeared to be and there was caring and warmth beneath that hard exterior.

And now we were about to enter another world. What pitfalls lay ahead, we would have to wait and see.

But soon, very soon, all would be revealed.....

[ October 30, 2003, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: Jacqueline ]

#32 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 08:50 PM

Bobcats and Bats...

God only knows what lies ahead...and you must be prepared.

Please continue....it's so good...don't leave us hanging (figuratively speaking, of course.) [New Laugh]

[ October 31, 2003, 12:52 AM: Message edited by: Michele ]

#33 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 03:04 PM

The scream stopped us both dead in our tracks. I knew right off it was the bobcat. Uh oh, there was the scream again ... and it sounded hungry! I started to whimper. "Hush now, girl," Sister said. "Do you think it heard us?" I whispered. "Heard us?" Sister cackled. "It smelt us the minute we walked out the door! Let's hope he's hungry tonight for a possum instead of some whimpering lil' girl like you. Now, stop that caterwaulin," Sister scolded me. "If he smells fear on you, he'll be after us for sure!" I swallowed hard and pulled my jacket closer to me. We were almost to the cave entrance.

The attack came the moment we entered the cave. Vampire Bats with huge ears and high-pitched squeals dove for our hair. Old Sister just had a few sprigs left on her scalp, so they were coming after me ... whoosh ... whoosh, oh no, two bats had a hold of my braids, pulling me down. Whoosh, whoosh, they were attached to my scalp now ... were they after my blood? Whoosh, whoosh, here come some more!

It was then that Esmeralda lept into the cave! With eyes aglow like embers, she blinded the bats and they squealed even louder as they flew out of the cave. I covered my ears the sound was so deafening. "Ruby, my child," Sister said as she cradled me in her arms. "Now, tell me where your hidin' place is ... just point to it, honey ... quickly, before they come back!"

"It's right behind you," I told Sister, and with that Sister reached out her long, bony leather-like hand toward the crevice, with the glow from Esmeralda's eyes lighting her way. As the light caught the side of Sister's face, I thought to myself she looks as old as the centuries.

#34 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 04:05 PM

[ October 31, 2003, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: Ron ]

#35 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 05:41 PM

I didn't hear it at first. I was too involved watching Old Sister, arm outstretched and fingers clawing inside the crevice of the old crumbling stone wall.

It was the eerie rattling noise that turned my new feeling of elation back to fear. 'Sister Look!'

The snake's long slimy body seemed to grow and grow as it made its way slowly towards us. A forked tongue darted in and out sensing our presence. Esmerelda watched, her back arched, hair bristling and huge green eyes fearfully alert!

Old Sister turned her head slowly as if anticipating what she was about to see. Slowly, deliberately she pulled at the hidden package now covered in mould and dirt her eyes moving in time with the snake's head as it swayed to and fro.
'Move creature!' Sister hissed at Esmerelda. 'Move. Now!' Esmerelda puffed out her fur and with a startled high pitched cry
leapt high into the air landing with a soft thud on the side nearest to the entrance of the Cave. The snake turned, its rattle growing louder and louder, its head moving quickly away towards the sound.

'Open the package' Old Sisters ordered, thrusting it into my hands. 'Open it quickly girl!' I tore at the paper, my fingers sliding over the mould, until I found a small gold box. 'Quick Girl, open the box!' My heart was racing and my fingers trembled so much that I could hardly hold it steady in my hands!' 'Don't drop it girl' Old Sister cried, 'Come on then...'
I pulled the lid off until the gleaming silver necklace revealed itself. It shone like I had never seen, and the turquoise stone winked back at me, twinkling brightly in the darkness!
'Give it to me' Old Sister grabbed it from my hands. The snake's head turned and as it thrust its tongue towards us, Old Sister held the Silver Necklace to its face. It slumped, as if mesmerised, its body heaped on the stone floor!

'Quickly girl, we must leave here now!' I stumbled over the snake's still body before feeling the air fresh against my face. I so wanted to see what we had found but I needed time to stop the racing of my heart and to feel the warmth of Esmerelda as she rubbed against my legs.

[ November 01, 2003, 03:45 AM: Message edited by: Jacqueline ]

#36 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 05:50 PM

Grannies necklace. It had been so long since I'd last seen it that I forgotten how beautiful it was. I tried to remember where she told me she had gotten it. From an old Indian Medicine Man or the grave of one. I just could not recall. But I dont think Granny was a grave robber.
Anyway the Rectangular necklace sparkled in the sun. The magical Indian design with the rectangular turquoise stone in the center and hanging from an necklace of scalloped and engraved silver discs.
As we inspected it I noticed on the back.

#37 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 06:20 PM

What was it? I was unsure but this time unafraid as I knew it held no harm. Old Sister watched as I gently prised open the small lid.

The scent which escaped from the tiny compartment seemed to fill the air with joy. 'So this is the amulet' I whispered in awe. 'This is what Granny wanted us to find!' Old Sister's eyes filled with tears. 'Yes Child' 'This is what she left in trust for you. You must keep it safe from all harm's way!' She peered closer at the Necklace which I held carefully in my hand. This precious Necklace which I would treasure forever. 'Here Girl' Old Sister took the necklace from me and then with her bony finger, thrust it into the soft sweet mixture with its wondrous scent. 'What are you doing?' I cried. And then, as if by magic, the whole world seemed to radiate goodness and light! I watched in amazement as Old Sister's face began to soften. Her hair became like brushed gold and her face, a picture of beauty of which I had never seen the like before!

And it was then I realised what Granny had passed on to me! A small piece of parchment fell to the ground. I picked it up and read. 'Dear Ruby this I leave to you, My treasured Starshell, Filled Youthdew.

So this was the amulet and this would overcome all evil. My treasure to ward off evil spirits, and only beauty to prevail!

We leave you now,
This Devil's night
And pray you will take care.
The evil spirits lurk around,
Their footsteps trail the air.
So make your peace
With all that's true.
Be kind and gentle too.
For those of you who love to hate,
No good will come to You!

end....

[ October 31, 2003, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: Jacqueline ]

#38 loveperfume

loveperfume

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 08:26 PM

Wow! - a great Halloween tale. You should all write a book. Can't wait for Thanksgiving and Christmas?

Pat

#39 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 11:28 PM

Martha, Jacky, Ron and all who contributed...Thank you so much...it was wonderful. Imaginative, creative and fun! [Wink]

Ann and Ken - Your picture of the Castle, Dragon and Witch were, once again, priceless. LOVE the Witch!

Thanks so much to all...hope your Halloween was the best! [Smile]

#40 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 06:26 AM

I personally would like to say a BIG THANK YOU to Martha and Ron for their efforts and time in producing our Halloween Story!

It was not easy to write on such a basis especially when neither party involved had any idea as to how the storyline would progress.

Speaking for myself and having had a little experience in this field, I also know how difficult it is to take the first steps in exposing oneself in such an open format.

Thank you so much for having made this a fun, albeit hard work, learning experience. Also to Linda, Ann and Jeannie for entering into the 'spirit' of things!

Jacqueline

[ November 02, 2003, 07:16 AM: Message edited by: Jacqueline ]

#41 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 12:05 PM

You too Jackie!! A big thanks to everyone, that was fun.

Here are some photos of my costume this year, I was a scary Vampiress. [Eek!]
user posted image user posted image

[ November 02, 2003, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

#42 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 12:21 AM

Well aint that somthin else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would never have recognised you! Fantastic!

Expect Jack's run off now, or have you locked him in the cellar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

#43 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 01:40 PM

Lisa,

FABULOUS costume [Eek!] I think Elvira has some competition!

Jacky, what's this about Jack being locked in the cellar? Could this be the opening line for next year's tale? (Uh oh, did I hear some of our members groan?) [Puzzled]

Thank you, Lisa, for letting us have some fun in telling this Harrowing Halloween Tale. [Silly]

#44 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 03:36 PM

BOO! [Eek!]

HAPPY HALLOWEEN TO EVERYBODY IN THE NORTHERN HEMISPHERE! [Cool]

[ November 02, 2003, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: Sandra ]

#45 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 04:02 PM

That was some story you guys!! Loved the way each of you introduced different characters to each other and unfolded the story. Great idea . . . and luckily for us, the 3 of you (Martha, Ron, Jacqueline) were able to 'get your teeth into it' and provide the bulk of the story, well punctuated with a pic from Ken & Ann and a few other paragraphs from others.

Aptly finished off by Jacky - and a delightful end of Halloween pic from Lisa! [Eek!] [Eek!]

You really get into it over there, don't you?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users