• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 06:50 PM

A fox the color of fire appeared on our farm when the frost was on the pumpkin and the leaves had turned a reddish gold. There was a crispness to the air that reminded me of hayrides, apple cider and high school football games. It was also Hallow's Eve or Devil's Night as some might say. My granny would have said, had she been alive and not buried up on Rattlesnake Ridge, that there was "no good gonna come of this night."

(Would one of our members like to add the next paragraph and continue the harrowing Halloween tale? [Wink]

#2 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 06:59 PM

Great idea! Martha,

I just love Halloween (will post a photo of my costume this year)

I going to have to think about this spooky tale. [Wink]

#3 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 07:01 PM

It was late in the evening and I was walking thru the old cornfield on my way home. My feet were crunching on the sound of old stocks and frost on the ground. There was a large orange moon filling the sky. As I looked at the old scarecrow in the field I could have sworn that it moved.

#4 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 10:46 PM

Sorry Ron to have startled you . That was just me
digging around in the bushes looking for that lost solid.

I know it must be here somewhere. Maybe that guy that just went by on his big black horse can help me . He was also looking for something. Heard him mutter something about a head.

Ann

#5 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 11:11 PM

Yes Ann, but the Scarecrow's fingers seemed to twitch in the semi-darkness highlighted by an eerie glow and its head appeared to droop then slowly rise in anticipation of something yet unseen!

[ October 28, 2003, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: Jacqueline ]

#6 Linda

Linda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 02:59 AM

I met up with the man on a horse! As the dark figure came closer to me, out of shadows, I saw that he was holding his head in one hand, and a telephone up against it in the other. As I turned to run, I heard him say "Can you hear me now?" Then his horse took a step, and he repeated, "Can you hear me now?" "Now"? Note to self: get one of those great cell phones!

#7 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 01:53 PM

The horse reared up on its hind legs, nostrils flared, its front legs kicking out frantically into vacant space. Blood trickled slowly from the eye sockets of the disembodied head now grasped firmly by its earth caked matted hair.

The Scarecrow watched nervously through beady button eyes. 'Move on. Move on' he muttered under his breath. 'This cursed night is young and there are many weary travellers yet to pass!'
'Move on!'

#8 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 05:35 PM

The horseman foolishly thew his head at the scarecrow who dodged it. It rolled over and over and settled into a pumpkin patch. The horse man moaned and screamed My Head My Horse for a head.
Well that gave me time to smack the horse on its rear and off it went taking the wailing "headless" horseman with him.
As a smile crept over my face I heard the scarecrow say in a eriee tone. "Now I have you all to myself"

#9 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 06:18 PM

I didn't look back, not even once. I was running for my life now, into the woods where the trees hang heavy with moss and there's a smell of rotting copse. Some say it's full of old Indian graves, but I didn't care. I was heading for Old Sister, who lived in a shack on the edge of a decaying swamp.

#10 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 06:45 PM

My heart was pounding. All I could hear was its incessant beat, pounding loudly and relentlessly in my ears.

I tripped and felt long spindly like fingers grabbing my legs, their nails digging deeply into my flesh.

A deep gutteral laugh penetrated the night air sending chills up and down my spine. I was suffocating! Suffocating with fear of the unknown! A damp blanket of sweat covered my body. ''I have been waiting for you' the old Sister mumbled. 'And now you have come!' Her face stared into mine. A craggy face, full of lines criss-crossing leathery skin.

#11 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 06:56 PM

How did you know that I would come I gasped?
Oh I saw the message in the smoke. My eyes widened. the message told me of one who would be in great peril this night. After all this is the night all evil spirits come out to play. It was not your imagaination that the scarecrow was chasing you. On this one night he tries to find a soul to take his place on that stake so his troubled soul can find rest.

#12 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 07:35 PM

She offered me her feeble arm as I gathered myself from the wet earth. My clothes were muddied and sodden and my hair lank and wet.

Follow me, the Old Sister beckoned, her finger pointing to an old grave that had lain for many long years. I looked behind me, fearful of what I would see and yes, I could hear a breathless sigh. Someone was not too far behind! The Scarecrow with the beady button eyes?
'Come' she motioned impatiently, 'help me lift the tombstone before it is too late!' I shuddered at the thought of what would lay below! 'Don't be foolish girl. Climb down or you will never know what it is like to breathe this air again!'

It would be a long night. The longest I have ever known or ever will! The crawling insects, the smell of decay and old bones, the fearful prods over our heads as haunted creatures roamed the night!

And I would be thankful to be out of this tomb in the morning light, when the dew would settle and the sun begin to open up the skies.....

[ October 29, 2003, 01:41 AM: Message edited by: Jacqueline ]

#13 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 07:38 PM

The grave was really a secret passageway to Sister's shack. The smell still haunts me to this day. It had a strange, musky odor like the decaying swamp it was near. I was sitting before the fire looking at the flames leaping about and listening to the kindling hiss and pop when out of the shadows appeared Sister's familiar, Esmeralda. The biggest, blackest cat you've ever seen. She was going to use Esmeralda, sister said, "to put a haint on that Scarecrow!"

[ October 28, 2003, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: Martha C ]

#14 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 08:23 PM

Esmeralda walked around my legs rubbing herself against me. Sister said Girl give me your hankerchief. I immediately did as she demanded. She tied it on Esmeralda. Then she went into her cubbord and pull out an array of magical powders and herbs. She found the ones she was looking for and mixed them together and put them into a small leather bag. Sister then tied this mojo bag onto Esmeralda and sent her out into the night

#15 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 09:33 PM

Esmeralda made her way stealthily out of the swamp, through gnarled underbrush, until she reached the edge of the woods. Her mojo was working real good and the Scarecrow never saw what hit him. With eyes ablaze like an inferno, Esmeralda scorched him like a flame.

You may ask what the Scarecrow's last words were before he went up in flames? "I thought I saw a puddy cat."

Happy Halloween!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users