71 replies to this topic

#61 Nicki169

Nicki169

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 17 October 2003 - 11:04 AM

Ann and Ken,
On Oct. 16th, the Corday Ivory Horse compact (see photo on page 2 of this topic) sold on E-Bay for $306.50! [Eek!] [Eek!] Even non EL solids are getting up there in price.

Does Corday put out new solids every year like Estee Lauder? Is there a Corday Solid Perfume Compact book? Do you know how long Corday has been doing solids?

Barb

#62 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 17 October 2003 - 11:30 PM

Hi Marlies!!!

Miss you! I don't know your Mother but give her my best...also...I'm out of Swiss Chocolate and going through withdrawal. Send Chocolate! [Big Grin]

Best wishes,
Michele

#63 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 17 October 2003 - 01:16 PM

Hi Barb,

Corday was bought out by Max Factor in the 70's, and MF continues to use some of the Corday molds for a while. That is why you may find a Corday solid case with a Max Factor label.

Not sure when MF quit making solids but their hay day was in the 70's & early 80's.

Some of your more expensive fragrances lines still put out a solid but usually one a year.

Hope this helps.

Ann

#64 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 17 October 2003 - 05:17 PM

[ October 17, 2003, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: Jacqueline ]

#65 Nicki169

Nicki169

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 17 October 2003 - 06:11 PM

Ann,
Thanks for the information on Corday. I didn't know they were bought out by Max Factor. That explains why I only see a few Corday's come up for sale on E-Bay. You are very knowledgeable on solids. I appreciate you sharing your info with all of us. [Wink]

Have a nice evening.
Barb

#66 P.E.Parry

P.E.Parry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 17 October 2003 - 07:39 PM

Ann
You are always so helpful regarding all the solids. Corday and Max Factor really produced some nice solids during the earlier years. Do you agree that some of them were extremely good? The Corday horse is one example but there were several others: the jack-in-the-box and the rocking horse are great examples of their classic solids and make the EL versions look sort of "gaudy". The birds nest, easter egg basket, watering can, foot stool and a few others are absolutely pefect. Some of these are not especially rare but are certainly a must for a collector of other solids.
I am so in awe of the photos that you and Ken are putting up for us to enjoy! You two are the BEST!

#67 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 19 October 2003 - 12:24 PM

I have come across the M.F Corday solids but haven't purchased them. The last one I have a picture of and will send it to Lisa and Jack. No doubt if it is a Corday, Lisa will introduce it somewhere. Am wondering now whether I should buy these. I do not want to start collecting them, but perhaps other members would be interested.

Jacky user posted image

[ October 19, 2003, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

#68 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 19 October 2003 - 01:26 PM

Jacky,

If I am not mistaken this solid necklace is Max Factor and is called Khara (I think) I also believe it goes for around $10-$20 on ebay. [Confused]

[ October 19, 2003, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

#69 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 19 October 2003 - 02:30 PM

You are a fast worker Lisa! Thanks for posting!

Meanwhile, I was not familiar with this and only remembered what the person at the fair told me!
It looked very pretty and in good condition. She mentioned that it was an old one. I took the picture so that I could check it out later!

So now I have passed it on to you all, the experts.

Many thanks,

Jacky [Smile]

#70 Denise

Denise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 05:25 PM

Hi Woody, I live in New York and I was at 1 Warehouse Sale in the 1980's. I had to stand in line for 3 hours before they would let us in (my Mom and I went), and I felt like we were Cattle as we had to move fast and choose what we wanted in a matter of seconds. After that experience, I would never go to another.

Perhaps they changed? I have no idea, I have been to Lauder's Company Store but I can only get a discount if I go with someone that works for Lauder and have them buy what I want for me. Even then, there is a limit of 2 items (whether it's a Solid, or any other product).

My Mom bought a package of Prototypes from one of her Neighbors (Lauder fired him because he became ill with Lung Cancer) and my Mom felt so bad for him and his family. He now has a huge lawsuit against Lauder, remember the movie Philadelphia with Tom Hanks?

My Mom started selling on Ebay and any money she made from the Prototypes went to this man to help him. I hope she starts selling again for herself (her idea was to sell Clothing which she did sell some items), but my Dad became very ill and we all hope he is out of the Hospital any day now.

By the way, I think it's horrible that you were investigated, it's your money and you have a right to spend it however you wish. [Puzzled] [Puzzled]

#71 Marlies

Marlies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 06:31 AM

Hi Michele

Here I am again!
As my English is too bad I don't like to talk much here!
Hope you will get some good chocolate in the US also [Big Grin]

Take care and best regards from Switzerland
Maries

#72 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 04:20 PM

Sad stories, Denise, in regards to both the EL warehouse experience and the other more personal ones.

Your mother sounds like a VERY giving person - someone who uses their ideas and resources to help others!

What an inspiration she must be!

Thanks for sharing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users