71 replies to this topic

#46 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 12:05 AM

Hi,
Here's my story about THE COSMETICS COMPANY STORE.
Last week I dropped by 3 of them.
Niagara Falls: very kind, let you buy as much as you wanted no ???'s

Birch Run, Michigan: this "gal" was about as mean and sour as she could be. ONLY 1 SOLID, ONLY 1 COMPACT! IF YOU BUY THE FERRIS WHEEL ONLY THAT!
Well, I ended up with 2 solids and 1 compact so I did ok.

Williamsburg, Iowa: the very nicest, sweetest, friendliest gals you would ever want to meet. They let me buy as many solids and compacts as I wanted. So I did. [New Laugh]
Bye,
KK [Smile]

#47 pancho

pancho

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 12:30 AM

Yayyyy Canada......and the other U.S. outlet...I hope everyone pays attention and does not buy retail.....I have in the past, and won't EVER again....it is soooooooooooooooo sad that Estee has come to this.....please DON'T buy retail, wait for the outlet/clearance houses.....why should we raise their stock prices???? I for one won't!!!!! If we are not careful, our collections will be useless....just like so many things in our past....cabbage patch dolls, beanie babies....(we had people paying $500.00 for Germania bears that are now worth $20.00) Save your $$$$ so you can buy MORE little Estee's! My opinion for what it is worth! All the best, Pancho

#48 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 09:28 AM

While I can agree with you the only problem with that is , EL only started making so many solids because collecting them became popular.

IF we stop buying retail they will stop making them and there will not be any in the the CC stores for sale.

EL does not believe(right or wrong) that these solids make money for them. They really believe(right or wrong) that they are doing us a service by even making them.

Already there has been a huge loss of collectors/dealers that were buying as an investment.

Already EL has heard our concerns and they are not concerned. Their bottom line is in cosmetics not solids.

Already we don't see the $38 solid anymore.

Already we are not getting as many $70 solids.

Already they are not "being nice" to their top designers.

Already the quality is going down. If EL was making money and happy about doing solids the quality would be going up.

Already (we shall see) they are limiting them.

It will be much easier for EL just not make them. And go back to their once a year Christmas cameo.

We compare what is happening to the beanie babies. Remember when they were for sale on every corner? Have you looked for one lately?

Ann & Ken

[ July 06, 2003, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: ann and ken ]

#49 klassicguy1

klassicguy1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 09:36 AM

I wonder what Estee thinks when they read our comments and concerns, as I am sure they do. Ann is right - and I mentioned it before - the only way to really get the attention of a company is to stop buying their product. The downside to that is they may stop making the products altogether. I am not sure if that would be a good thing for our investment or not and it would take away something we all get much joy out of. Don't know what the right answer is. Time will tell!

#50 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 10:00 AM

Hi Woody,

The thing that keeps going through my mind is why would they keep making something just to put in the CC stores or give away at the warehouse sales.

There are 200 plus on this site who now know about the CC stores and might wait and see if they show up there , so the sales have to be going down.

Finding a solid or compact at the CC stores use to be a rare thing, now they are plentiful.

El will have to stop making so many or stop making them altogether. EL didn't become so big by being stupid.

Ann

#51 klassicguy1

klassicguy1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 10:17 AM

I am in total agreement on the warhouse sales - what a ripoff for collectors! The CC stores I look at a little differently - there are outlet stores for everything these days. As I indicated to you - I will only buy the new ones I really like from now on and take my chances on the extras hitting the CC stores later. I will also continue to buy extras there for sale or trade - as long as they are there.

#52 Lauderlover

Lauderlover

Lauderlover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 11:28 PM

It seems like every CC store has a mind of its own. That's too bad because they're all owned by EL and every store acts very differently. It's almost like the managers of the CC stores think they own the store and one manager has even created her own little black book and will limit you to 3 solids per lifetime! Ain't that a hoot? [Roll Eyes]

#53 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 03:47 PM

This is a "funny" side bar to Ann's comment on a Goggle search for warehouse sales. I checked it out and read the Faculity Association at Suffolk Community College was offering up tickets to the warehouse sale. This was from Nov. 2000.
Go figure!
Bye,
KK

#54 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 05:11 PM

The beanie baby senario is something to consider. However, I'm not worried about it yet. We have 200+ members on this site--a good amount, but not that much considering. There are much more coin and baseball card collectors (thousands/millions?). My brother-in-law collects baseball cards and has more trouble turning profits than you guys...looses $$ at least 75% of the time. On the other hand, I collect/sell coins and never lost $...the worst was $2 profit after ebay/paypal fees.

200+ members is plenty of people to trade, buy and sell solids. There's enough room for new collectors as well. Plenty of collectors/dealers want multipules of the same solid. I see people who I know already have 4 of the same solids buy a 5th...6th...7th. They're the ones that keep prices high (assuming they aren't low ball bidders). [Smile] for sellers, [Frown] for other collectors who only want 1.

Perhaps, sellers can't earn high profits on new solids like 2 years ago. And, there are more than enough general distribution solids. Despite this, I don't think there's anything to worry about. Remember there are key differences between beanie baby and perfume solid collectors:

Beanies:
more well known
sold everywhere
affordable
popular among kids, teenagers + adults
recent fad
short term popularity
cheap materials = more created
machine made = mass produced

Solids:
harder to find
adult collectors
less produced
pricey = not afforable to everyone
kids/teenagers not interested
been around longer
harder to make
hand crafted
better materials used to produce
established famous perfume companies
well-known designers hired = not cheap

The #1 rule of collecting: buy what you like. [Big Grin] Always keep #1 in mind and you won't be dissapointed....if you can't earn huge profits, at least you have stuff you treasure. Would you rather display an "eye sore" worth huge $, or something you love regardless of value?

[ July 06, 2003, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: greyhound ]

#55 sparkle4me

sparkle4me

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 10:16 PM

The Cosmetic Co. in Riverhead, NY is where I go. There's a Lisa there (she's the one who referred me to this site) who has always been super nice to me and to James.
I have a question though... on the wall in the CC, there's a tremendous sign that has the 'rules' of purchasing stuff there. #6 (I think it was #6) says that no purchase is allowed to be over $300. Well, if that's the case why doesn't CC charge less for the pricier solids???
Jeannie

#56 Mini

Mini

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 12:07 AM

I can see that one collector has opted out.....twinkle-penny. She's selling all these solids on eBay with BIN options...$650 for a 'Carousel' [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] ???!!!, wish I got that one [Frown] ! I don't have the option of buying from CC stores but I certainly won't be buying just any solid EL put out on the market this year.

#57 mimi

mimi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 10:28 AM

Hi Everyone,

Greyhound, thanks for your comments. You made some very interesting points. Good insight!!

Keep the info coming. I enjoy learning from all of you! [Smile]

Mimi

#58 mimi

mimi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 10:43 AM

Almost Forgot!!

Hi Pancho!! I am so glad to know that you are a member here!! I've always admired your listings on E-bay and felt that you are an example of good selling.

Thanks so much and so good to hear from you!!

Mimi [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

#59 Lauder Lover

Lauder Lover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 09:38 PM

Hi KK, I sent you a private message regarding your post on the Outlet store in Birch Run. Just wondering if you got it. In case you didn't I will post it here. I am hoping you can tell me which Solids and compacts were available there when you went last week. Thank You [Smile]

#60 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 04:11 PM

I think Greyhound makes a very good point - Buy what you like, don't buy for profit. If I had to I'd be very reluctant to sell any of my solids. (Only if I really had to!)

Nancy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users