• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 klassicguy1

klassicguy1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 05:57 PM

[Suspicious] Was there perhaps another warehouse sale in New York? It seems like a ton of "empty" solids and compacts have hit the listings again...

#2 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 06:46 PM

Yes, what's with that?
The sellers are listing them for $39, I even saw the Harrods van for BIN at $175, a good price but not for an empty solid.
Almost all of the sellers that have them are also listing other Lauder products so it must be from a warehouse or employee sale. [Mad]

#3 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 07:14 PM

If Estee Lauder really needs to get rid of the compacts then a solution would be cut the production run or bring them to the IPBA convention or the compact collectors club and sell them to the collectors where for the most part they will stay in a collection rather than be sold on ebay.

Ann and Ken have insprired us all with their wonderful displays that I think a lot of collectors would love to have more than one of the same solid.

This year is the first year that I am not going to buy any of the general distrubition solids. Why should I spend almost $400 ($75 X 5 + 6% tax) on solids that I know I can find empty on ebay for $20 each or in the outlets at 20% off. I for one am not getting them for full price this year. [Suspicious]

#4 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 07:19 PM

We are doing the same thing about the general ones.

I buy some of the empty ones just so I can have more that one solid in a display. Example- 5 watermelons in the fruit stand.

The powder compacts are where I will be buying less of and wait till they are at the CC or on Ebay. And it seems EL didn't do as many this year. Maybe they are getting the message.

Ann

P.S.

I am working on a new display that will be ready when the new solids come out. It will be posted here first and I hope everyone will have fun seeing it.

[ June 22, 2003, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: ann and ken ]

#5 Maeuschen

Maeuschen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 09:14 AM

Hi all !
I think that the empty ones maybe stolen. The person wich is selling them is from Rhode Island -State where the solids are in production!!! I don't want to impute someone but I think its mysterious.

Michaela

#6 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 10:16 AM

All those empty ones and filled ones are bought at the warehouse sale for pennies on the dollar.

Also anything sent back from the retail stores that were returned because of damage.

All of EL "extra stock" is sold also.

That is why you see so much at the same time on ebay .

This practice of EL is killing the value of the solids we collectors pay retail for.

Lisa is right-- They should at least give collectors a chance to buy them and protect our investment. Or not make so many that they don't sell. Of course sales could be down because of this .

They are not stolen just given away.

Ann

#7 Lauder Lover

Lauder Lover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 11:18 PM

Hi All, Can anyone go to these Warehouse sales or only employees? If not then they should allow us to have the same chance to purchase these at the cheap prices or at least allow us to show all of our receipts for the ones we buy full price + tax at retail and be allowed to purchase more at the Outlets. I was treated very poorly at the closest Outlet to me which is about 2 hours away and when I get there I find out that I can only purchase one Compact or Solid. ( Not one of each but one only, either/or). Then about a month later I went back because it was on my way to a wedding and since they had my credit card on file from the purchase the previous month and I had spent the maximum amount allowed, $300.They would not allow me to purchase any Compacts or Solids at all!! Like I was some sort of criminal because I wanted to give them my money! This happened last summer and I have never returned. This made me angry [Cry] after the long drive and spending thousands retail. I tried to go higher and complain but did not get much acomplished. So this just makes me feel more negative about the whole thing when I see these Solids and compacts sold at the Warehouse Sales for next to nothing and we Collectores that spend the Big Bucks are not allowed in! Glad I finally got that off my chest. [Mad] [Embarrassed] Has anyone else had a negative experience at an Outlet? I am seriously considering changing my name "Lauder Lover" and finding something new to Collect or only buying at Yard and Estate sales if lucky enough to find ( which I have never found yet). I can't see continuing to spend thousands on something that will be sold cheaper a year later. ( Although I do really Love them and alot of other Estee Lauder Products). I feel like its no better than buying a Beanie Baby except that we are spending Lots more Money! [Confused] [Suspicious]

#8 Maeuschen

Maeuschen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 12:21 PM

Hi Ann !
I believe some are sold at warehouse sales but some come to ebay on suspicious ways for sure.
What could be the reason to give a Harrods Delivery Van to a warehouse sale. A very limited piece wich is not shown in USA or sold in the USA.
And please remember the unfinished palmtree without the coconuts, stones and colour - there is no reason to give away those pieces !!!
And it has arrived at ebay a long time before presentation of the shimmering oasis at the IPBA.

Michaela

#9 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 12:47 PM

Yes, some are "taken" from the manufacture while being worked on. But the vast amount we see on Ebay is from the warehouse sale. There are 4 locations for this sale and it happens 4 times a year.
You need a pass to get in . The passes are given to EL employees and "friends" of EL.
I have even seen these passes sold on Ebay.

However Mr. Conte told me personally that some of the employee's were given the unused prototypes as they felt they were worthless. Some wouldn't be use at all and some were damaged when taken out of the mold.
They never dreamed that the protoypes would end up on Ebay.

We have jumped up and down complaining about this and so far have not gotten anywhere.
We strongly believe that is why EL refused to take questons this year because we asked (very strongly)at last years convention when the VP of Marketing took questions and he denied even know about the sales. He did not get a warm response .

The only thing we can hope for at this point is that the market is so flooded with these that it will not be worth the time for the sellers to keep buying them for selling on Ebay.

The reason I know the price they are sold for is the a seller forgot to take off the warehouse price tag on a solid I bought.

The CC stores are a whole different thing that also doesn't make much sense.
The rules were designed to keep people from buying EL products and reselling them. This started at the time when there was no Ebay only flea markets and EL didn't want their products sold in a flea market.

EL figured that since you needed a pass to get in the Warehouse sale the product would stay in the EL family of employees and not be sold in an unseemly way. They were wrong.

Ann

If you want to read more go to google.com and search Estee Lauder warehouse sale.
There is an interesting article under Walter's Diary about the sale in Ontario Canada.

[ June 24, 2003, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: ann and ken ]

#10 Marlies

Marlies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 12:59 PM

Hi together!

All overseas collectors don't have this chance to buy all this solids in this special warehouse shops. We have to pay the full retail price. Also at the flea market you can't find great Estee Lauder solids as the big "storehouse" is in the USA!! [Cry]
So I think too..........Estee Lauder should sell us collectors this older solids for a less price!

Best regards from Switzerland!
Marlies

#11 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 01:07 PM

Hello Marlies,

Most of us here can only buy from the CC stores and not the warehouse sale and the hassle is sometimes not worth the effort and they treat you like a criminal. For only 20% off plus tax.

For me it is not worth it because we have to drive 6 hours to the nearest one and pay 10% tax so we only really get 10% off. I do not have to pay tax for the Neiman Marcus solids because they don't have a store in our state and we have them mailed ot us.

A few years ago the discount was 40% and then it was worth it.

Have a good day and give your mother our best. [Smile]

Ann

#12 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 01:13 PM

You have to buy Estee Lauder solids because you love them , not because they have a future value.
That way you can not be hurt.

If you are looking for a short term investment to make money, that ship has sailed( along with the beanie baby ship).

If by some miracle the price (on the new ones)goes up then your ship will come back in.

Ann

[ June 23, 2003, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: ann and ken ]

#13 mimi

mimi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 03:00 PM

Hi Everyone!!

I am so glad that this topic has been started. It has answered lots of questions for me and raised a few more. Let's see if I can be brief in this:

I am new to collecting EL solids. I bid on my second piece on E-Bay and was "hooked". Still, I knew NOTHING about true "collecting". I did not know about the "empties" (and I bought a few).

Now that I have elevated my status to "novice collector", I want to say thank you to all of you dear people who have patiently and wisely answered my questions and taught me.

I have a Cosmetic's Co Store about 35 miles from me. The manager is willng to sell me three pieces at a time. She is also willing to tell me what new pieces have come in (on the phone). She will not give out prices. I love shopping and am happy to check for anyone, if you will let me know what you want. The excitement is in the search!

Well...I surely wasn't "brief"!! As one our our English Professor's here at the college would say...."This is literally a "wall of text".

Moral to the story: I'm going to work on being a better collector keeping only a few chosen pieces, that I truly love and selling the rest!!

Now I feel better.....thanks for listening!! [Smile]

Mimi

#14 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 03:47 PM

Disclaimer: many will disagree, but I'm so [Mad] .

Some of you guys would like collectors to be able to buy all the warehouse sale solids/compacts instead of people who don't care about them. It sounds good and everything, but many collectors would turn around and do the same thing. What will prevent that? Would it be better or actually the same? [Suspicious] The only good thing is that collectors ship better.

It's okay to make profit. There are many reasons for reselling and I have no problems with it. However, I wish people wouldn't hog too much of the same item just for resell. [Mad] It prevents people from buying at decent prices. For example, I have trouble winning certain solids (not necessarily Lauder)....ahem Corday white horse [Mad] --->bidder monopolizes them ALL just to resell (if 10 listed in a month = they WIN all 10 except ones on reserve)--->when reselling, they increase prices $100+. Like the Lauder warehouse sales, I hope people don't encourage them too much. The more people bid on these auctions and for higher amounts, the more it encourages sellers to do this. I refuse to support this seller of the Corday horse.

I bought a few empty "warehouse" solids. They stay in my collection. I'd prefer getting mint in box solids, but certain ones are unaffordable. I bought an empty slot machine for $200. What seller would offer me a MIB one for $250-300? I bet no one would do that, so a sample is the way to go.

Speaking of Cosmetics Co, I have a different complaint. The sales associates at San Marcos
are too busy socializing with each other.
It's like I'm bothering them whenever I want to buy something. I see this behavior almost everywhere I go. [Mad]

I don't know about anybody, but I haven't found any solids in garage/yard/estate sales, antique stores, or flea markets!!! Those who can are very lucky. I realize that it's easier to find vintage solids in America than other counties, but it's not like we find plenty of them effortlessly. If I found anything, I will make sure to mention it....even the common coil with turquoise. [Smile]

#15 Marlies

Marlies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 04:25 PM

Hi Ann

Yes, to drive 6 hours for 10% less........that's not a good deal! When I drive 6 hours I'm in Italy or in South-France!!

Best wishes from my mother too!
Take care!

Marlies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users