• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 06:35 PM

Muntaz Mahal, wife of Shahjahan , in whose memory the Taj Mahal was built.

user posted image

The hand painted, beaded tassel is from India.

user posted image

Ken & Ann

[ September 25, 2003, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: ann and ken ]

#2 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 06:39 PM

Ken & Ann,

How lovely! Great job. I really love this solid.

Thanks [Big Grin]

#3 Aussie Girl

Aussie Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 07:14 PM

WOW Ann & Ken

Fabulous photos, Fabulous solid.

Thanks so much. Karen [Smile] [Smile]

#4 Angelina

Angelina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 09:04 PM

Ann & Ken,

You guys always know how to bring out the true beauty of a Lauder piece! The Taj Mahal is just gorgeous in that setting.

Thanks again for two totally "fabulous" pictures!!!!!

Take care,
Angelina

#5 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 10:33 PM

Hi Ann & Ken,
You showcased the Taj Mahal so beautifully.
Thanks for the history on it.
Love the elephant and the beads and the tablecloth. Is the frame a Jay Strongwater?
It really adds to the scene. Are the crystals in the solid pearlized or is it my monitor?
A real pleasure to see this beauty up close. [Big Grin]
Bye, KK

#6 mimi

mimi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 10:51 PM

Beautiful!! Your spectacular display and photography literally "sells" the piece. I'm sold!!

Thank you for sharing these new px. We love your work!!

Mimi

#7 perfumememory

perfumememory

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 September 2003 - 12:16 AM

So Creative!
If Estee lauder could hold a competition on the best desplayed solids. I will certainly vote this. [Smile]

#8 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 26 September 2003 - 09:55 AM

Hi,

The stones are irrdescence, and with white enamal around the bases of both stories. Not a Strongwater frame. We took some photos with some Stongwater frames but they didn't work.

This solid is one of the most difficult solids to photograph we have ever had. Ken tried everything he knows and we are not to pleased with the out come. The shiny gold dome was impossible to get without a reflection. And the stones would show up as a solid color depending on the lighting.
The photo posted was flashed then filtered done outside. We may attempt this again.

Another problem is that the Taj is lop sided/crooked. We are checking out that problem and will get back with you.

Plus after shooting the phone booth in one shot we were disapointed in the Taj that we could not make it look good(straight).
Before we started taking close-up photos , all the solids looked good. Now the slightest flaw shows up and when spending $400 lop sided is not good. Maybe the real Taj is lopsided.

The history is fasinating . Didn't know that someone was actually buried(ashes) there. She died in child birh, her 14th and it took 22 years to build after her death. Taj Mahal meaning tomb of Mahal .

Course the pyramids have the same problem. Maybe EL can do Grants tomb. [New Laugh]

Ann

[ September 26, 2003, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: ann and ken ]

#9 Nicki169

Nicki169

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 26 September 2003 - 11:35 PM

Ann and Ken,
You have all the right accessories to go with your EL solids. [Eek!] [Eek!] The Taj Mahal photos are wonderful! Perfect picture and frame to go with the elephant. The Taj Mahal is beautiful. I can't wait for mine to arrive. In the first photo I didn't notice the slant at all. But in the second photo I wondered about that. Did you contact the store where you purchased the solid? I hope you are able to get a replacement solid that's not on a slant.

Barb

#10 perfumememory

perfumememory

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 September 2003 - 01:45 PM

Yes, I can see a reflection of a man holding the camera on the Taj Mahal. Is that Ken?

#11 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 26 September 2003 - 01:49 PM

Yes , that is Ken. [New Laugh] [New Laugh]

One photo we tried ,I covered him in a black blanket and it came out better on the reflection but the photo wasn't good.

We are determined to get a better shot.
We have tried all our tricks so if anyone gets a good shot please let us know how you did it.

Ann

#12 Kali

Kali

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 September 2003 - 02:41 PM

Hi all!

What great photos Ann and Ken.

FYI all, the Taj Mahal began sinking 4 years after it was erected. "It was discovered that the plinth of the mausoleum on the northern side (or the riverside) is lower than on the south by 3.5cms."

Hope this helps as to why it's lopsided!!

Kali

#13 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 26 September 2003 - 04:08 PM

Yea , Great imformation. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

My Engineer Ken tried to tell me that, but I couldn't believe EL took that much care to make it slope on purpose. [Silly]

Like the stagecoach wheels falling off . They really do in the middle of the dessert while Indians are chasing. Just didn't want my $450 one sitting at a way station , under calm skies with not a bad guy in sight , having a wheel fall off [New Laugh] [New Laugh]

It's great that EL is going for the "real " thing now. [New Laugh] [New Laugh]

Ann

#14 Fee

Fee

Fee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 26 September 2003 - 04:09 PM

What can I say, Love the Taj, Ann and Ken, as usual you have showcased it perfectly, despite your 'behind the scenes dilemmas it looks fantastic. [Eek!]

The history of it is fascinating and Kali, the reason for the lean is very interesting and makes this solid a real talking piece.
[Razz]
learning all the time! and I haven't even had breakfast yet - what a great start to the day.
thanx [Cool] [Wink]

[ September 26, 2003, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: Fee ]

#15 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 26 September 2003 - 04:47 PM

Information like that is why I enjoy this site - you get great insights from collective information from a variety of sources and people! [Smile]

But I have to agree with Ann, I'm not sure EL did it purposefully, but will have to wait and see if all the Taj's are at a lean and not a one off mistake!

So that leads to the question of an Italian collection . . . and do you think there will be a Leaning Tower? [Silly]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users