Posted 28 July 2002 - 01:03 AM

[ July 28, 2002, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: pancho ]

#2 marie5

marie5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 July 2002 - 06:22 AM

I put my collection on Ebay because I just can't afford it anymore. Every solid goes for over $100 anymore.

#3 Meeks

Meeks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 July 2002 - 09:41 AM

Hi, Im so sorry that you feel like this. I have just really started collecting Estee Solids. I cant afford all the ones I would like, but thats what makes if fun! You save up and purchase the ones that you really really want! I dont feel like this is an investment for me. I think that the Estees Solids are like owning a little piece of magic, a little beautiful yummy smelling sparkly treasure. Its about owning a part of the American Dream. A young woman started this business at a time when a woman business owner was almost unheard of. And she made it into one of the biggerst cosmetic companies in the world!
I wanted to address your concerns about the Estee Reps making all this money from you. I used to work for Estee 5 years ago as a Counter Manager. I made under $7.00 a hour and got 3% comission. Not exactly millions. It might be different now. It might vary from store to store and state to state, but its still retail.
Do I agree with you that the Solids can be too high priced? Yes, but if there are people out there who want and can afford to pay thousands of dollars for one, thats their business. There are plenty of other ones out there that I can afford, and sparkle no less then the ones that cost hundreds more. So maybe it dosent have the box, and maybe the perfume isnt perfect, and maybe its older, but its still special to me, even more so. To think that somebody bought it before I was born, and loved it and used it, and cherished it enough to not throw it away when the perfume was gone seems to me to be more valueable then the ones that we bought 2 years ago and never touched. Still loved, but differently.
This is just my opinion, and it wasnt meant to hurt anyones feelings. Just the rambelings of a new collector...

#4 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 28 July 2002 - 10:58 AM

This one's for Pancho and Meeks...I have to address Pancho's first. Yes, I agree with you 100%. Plus, Estee Lauder RECOMMENDS eBay for buying solids we can't find, so they stand behind the auction/bidding process. Why not? It only brings more attention to their solids...and raises their net worth!

They KNOW which consultants are selling the new solids on-line, and they allow it, happily. Truthfully, they encourage it! Solid sales have never been higher or in more demand. This is the real "American Dream" of Estee Lauder!

Regarding the "Lovely Lady" from Texas (bbking2), she may not be a consultant, but is she buying them from a consultant at Nordstrom's and quite possibly splitting the commission? It's being looked into.

The solids are now being churned out at the same rate as Beanie Babies, and will soon be just a nostalgia thing. We'll all look at our collections and say...."Why on earth did I spend so much money on those things...I could have bought a new car!"

Meeks...God love you...you're not buying the "American Dream." You ARE the American Dream to Estee Lauder!

Y'all have a lovely Sunday...and please think before you plunk down that Credit Card!

#5 pancho

pancho

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 July 2002 - 11:05 AM

[ July 28, 2002, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: pancho ]

#6 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 28 July 2002 - 11:49 PM

I choose to collect Estee Lauder solids rather than other things because I happen to like Estee Lauder solids. It doesn't matter what someone chooses to collect, whether it's stamps, antique teacups or even beer cans. If the collector enjoys what they are collecting, then it is up to them what they are willing to pay for any given piece for their collection.

Would I love to get an ivory series for $50? Of course. But collecting doesn't work that way. If I could do that I would spend a few thousand dollars and I'd have all the solids and my collection would be done. What fun is that? If I'm not willing to spend hundreds for the piece I am after, then it's up to me to hunt one down and get it cheaper. That is the fun of collecting for me: the hunt.

Sure, there are people who don't care so much about collecting the EL solids, and are in it just to buy pieces and sell them on eBay for a profit. I'd rather this wasn't the case as it drives the prices up. But the reason the prices are going up is the old rule of supply and demand. Somewhere there is a collector WILLING to pay that inflated price. And they are happy to get the piece when they buy it. It's Economics 101.

I don't buy Estee Lauder stock because I'm not looking for an investment, I'm looking for a collection. And quite frankly, stock certificates just don't look quite as good in my collection display.

As for the changing look of the EL solids, I happen to think the new Jay Strongwater solids are some of the best looking solids to come out in a long time. I'm glad EL was willing to take a chance and use a great artist like Strongwater.

#7 pancho

pancho

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 July 2002 - 02:03 PM

[ July 28, 2002, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: pancho ]

#8 Sylvia Ray

Sylvia Ray

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 July 2002 - 02:17 PM

Pancho,

This isn't my board so I can't speak for Lisa, but maybe if you are so against Estee Lauder and collecting their solid perfume compacts, you should find another chat area. I just don't understand why you are here if you don't like them.

By the way, have you ever purchased an Estee Lauder solid knowing that you were merely going to turn around and sell it somewhere for a profit? If so, you have done exactly what you say you are so against.

Miss Ray

[ July 28, 2002, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

#9 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 28 July 2002 - 03:37 PM

Pancho & Miss Ray:

From what I've been told, at least regarding Neiman Marcus stores, Estee Lauder is setting the Limited Edition number this season at 1,050 of each. That's 450 less than other years. Each Neiman's is supposed to get 90 of each. That's it. No more, possibly less. So, if you want any of theirs, now is the time to order.

As far as Saks and Nordstrom's, they don't know how many of each they'll be getting...it's just a matter of wait and see!

Of course, the amount stated above is contingent on how many the "Lovely Lady From Texas" scarfs up, strictly to resell on eBay for astromical dollar figures! lol:) Miss Ray, if you want to accuse someone of doing that, point the finger in the right direction. Pancho is only voicing his feelings, which is ok by me. I do believe we've all sold a few on eBay, but we also buy a lot...it's sort of a wash in the end.

I'll just go away quietly now and wait for the dust to settle! [Roll Eyes]

#10 EsteeMania

EsteeMania

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 July 2002 - 03:38 PM

This great chat area is here for anyone to post their opinions thanks to Lisa. My opinion of bbking2 is that she really is a lovely lady and of course she is going to try and make a profit. Do you work for free? I don't. I have purchased some really unique older Estee solids from her and she has always been more than fair. I DO NOT collect Estee solids with my kids for a profit down the road. That would be rather unrealistic. It is the thrill of the hunt! Collecting Estee solids for fun is just that...... FUN! [Big Grin] [Smile] [Wink] [Razz] just like these cute graemlins

#11 pancho

pancho

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 July 2002 - 03:40 PM

Hi Miss Ray....you are right! I won't offer my jaded opinions to anyone anymore, it was very unfair of me.

Yes I have bought many solids and have made a profit which has enabled me to keep purchasing new ones. The difference is I have paid FULL RETAIL PRICES rather than getting a discount for being an Estee Lauder employee.

Thanks to Lisa for making the site possible....I do think it is great for making people aware of fakes etc.

I will no longer participate in this venue as I don't want to be negative to dedicated Estee Lauder collector's.

Signing off....Pancho

[ July 28, 2002, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: pancho ]

#12 Colette

Colette

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 July 2002 - 06:21 PM

Pancho,
Why did you delete/edit your original post? I wanted my friends to read it. I think that you were right on in your comments. However, I do LOVE the Estee Lauder solids. I can't afford most of them but they are lovely to look at.
P.s.
Will someone who works for Estee Lauder and gets them for 1/2 off or free? please kindly sell me "The Weekend Artist" for a reasonable price? please....please don't make me beg. You know that you have ten others from the warehouse sale that you attended last month! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

#13 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 28 July 2002 - 07:38 PM

Colette,

I think the only way to find the weekend artist is going to be on ebay, I doubt there are any left in the stores (Saks) [Frown]

The only discount I got from working for Estee Lauder was a 20% store discount. I couldn't get solids for any cheaper than that and it was only for the store I worked in. [Smile]

#14 marie5

marie5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 July 2002 - 02:57 PM

I got discouraged and put my collection up for sale. But I still want to collect them. I have the Weekend Artist up for sale on Ebay.

#15 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 29 July 2002 - 06:19 PM

It's perfectly fine if someone is willing to pay more. No big deal. If you wait, the same solid will be listed and maybe for less. However,...

Rant #1: I get tired of the same person outbidding me on the same item they already have 5 of!!! I would like to win just one. Is that so much to ask? I don't understand why someone needs 5 pandas, for example. The odd thing is that I never see this same person reselling on ebay. I can understand if they want a 2nd because the one they have is damaged or boxless. Or, perhaps to buy a gift.

Rant #2: Bidding against someone who intends to resell $100+ more than they paid. This occurs when a solid is listed for a low price (usually no reserve).

Two discouraging outcomes:

1) Prices go sky high because everyone wants a great deal. I don't find this to be a problem as long as a collector wins. Sure, I would like to win, but I'm much happier to wait and pay less later.

2) The reseller/dealer increases bids so you end up paying more. They often bid close to the original retail. If you are lucky to win, you won't be getting the best deal you could have. Ahhh, if only the reseller would take a vacation more often.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users