• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#1 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 18 August 2003 - 07:16 PM

No Egyptian Palace was without a beautiful Peacock wandering the halls. A favorite with Cleopatra, it is rumored that her eye make-up design was inspired by the wonderful plumage.

user posted image

user posted image

Ken and Ann

#2 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 18 August 2003 - 07:51 PM

Ann
Nice. You need to slip in a Amun Sphinx into the display.

#3 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 18 August 2003 - 09:11 PM

Hi Ron,

I thought about it but decided to keep this display EL only.

I have the matching perfume bottles that go with the Amun Sphinx so I may do something with them all together.

Ann

#4 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 18 August 2003 - 09:45 PM

Ann & Ken,

A true work of art!! FANTASTIC!!!

Would love to see more Egyptian solids from Lauder- a scrab, pyramid, cat, and perhaps a sarcophagus.

Again great job!! [Big Grin]

#5 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 18 August 2003 - 09:58 PM

Thanks Lisa,

It was very hard to photograph and some things were left out.

The small egyptian perfume bottles and the scarb hand mirror didn't photograph well. There was to much going on. [Frown]

May try again with just a closeup of them.

Ann

#6 mimi

mimi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 18 August 2003 - 11:02 PM

Ann and Ken.....

You have just created a scene that I truly love!! I have always been so interested in Egyptology. [Cool]

I confess, I'm in awe. [Eek!] I just don't see how you guys do it!! How long did it take for you to set this up and then shoot it? It's just magical!!

Thanks so much for making my Monday end so beautifully!

Mimi

#7 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 08:28 AM

Hi Mimi,

Not long. We received the peacock at 4pm, Ken came home at 6pm and I think we had the photo on by 7pm. [Big Grin]
The display has been ready for the peacock for a while and I only had to add it to the scene. It doesn't always work to do the display before you get the solid. The fan display didn't and we have to start over with a new idea.

I always try to research and make my displays as accurate as possible and I do that well in advanced. Even though the peacock is the national bird of India ( can use with the Taj Mahal) I found a referance to it in books on Egpyt.

The hardest part is taking it all outside for the photo, and we still don't have a good camera for getting all the detail. There is a lot more in the display than we couldn't photograph in one picture.

Ken is working on a display that will be his only so stay tuned. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Ann

[ August 19, 2003, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: ann and ken ]

#8 mimi

mimi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 01:16 PM

Ann,

Now, I have other question (s). Do you do all or much of your photography outdoors for lighting conditions? [Cool] How do you find all the little intricacies for your work? I am just fascinated with the details. The table, the carpet (floor?).....did you create these yourself? They look beautifully hand painted.... and all the jars and amulets...... How? Where? [Confused]

Thanks for your patience with my "yammering"!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Mimi

#9 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 02:35 PM

Hi Mimi,

We do most all of our photography out side for the lighting. For just one solid up close we can get a good photo inside .

Hobby lobby or Michaels is a good source for some stuff. The little perfume bottles and powder boxes are made from beads and jewelry findings. Look in the jewelry making dept.

The wall hangings and flooring are made from copies of posters then cut to size.

The stand the Sphinx on is from the party store and is a cake tier for between layers and I just painted it gold.

The candles for the candle holders(hard to see) are just straws cut to size then waxed.

The table I did buy from a miniature person. All the rest I did myself. Mostly I like to make things from around the house . The cane for the top hat (see members photo)is a toothpick painted with a bead on the end.

The statues are from the dollar store and I painted them to suit.

Every where you go you can find something to be used , just keep you eyes peeled. [Big Grin]

A good place to get ideas is go to a miniature show. [Big Grin]

Ann

#10 Liliane

Liliane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 04:37 PM

Ann

Slowly the words are missing - I do not know enymore what I shall say? It is unbelievably what you always creat!!!

*** just terrific ***

Thanks a lot for sharing it with us!!!
Already today I look forward to your next photos [Wink] [Wink] [New Laugh] [New Laugh]
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] So long!

#11 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 05:47 PM

Thanks Liliane,

Wonderful words from you and everyone here on the board keeps us inspired.

Thanks,
Ann & Ken

#12 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 08:38 PM

Hi Ann & Ken,

TRULY MAGNIFICENT!!!

I love your presentation of the Peacock.
Mine arrived today. I'm very pleased. He's
sitting here watching me.

Bye, KK

#13 Marlies

Marlies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 02:32 PM

Hi Ann & Ken

Your pictures are absolutely fantastic.......as always!!!
I wish I had your talent!

Best wishes from Switzerland!
Marlies

#14 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 02:43 PM

Thanks Marlies,

Great to hear from you. [Big Grin] [Smile]

Are you having the very hot bad weather there?
We have been reading about the weather in Europe but thought maybe Switzerland might be cooler with the mountains.

It is very hot here but we are use to it and stay in the house and play with our solids.
[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Please send our greetings to your mother.

Ann & Ken

[ August 20, 2003, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: ann and ken ]

#15 Liliane

Liliane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 03:21 PM

Ann - the "Chinese Junk"

To this I only can tell you what I will do with my "Junk".

I have among other, three large (about 1,6 m high) showcases, therein am issued most of my solids. Each showcase has five compartments. The first showcase represents the world, second nature and third is a kind of "five floor doll house".

It will go into the showcase "world".
There in the first level is the USA (stars & strips) with New York and Texas. Second level: Las Vegas and San Francisco. Third level: International plus Madrid, London & Paris. Fourth: China and India. Down are Africa and Agypten.

You suspect it, I'll put it to China. There are: my 2 "Foo Dogs" with the "Imperial Princess" the "Camellias" with the "Country Flowers" and the "Dragon" displayd. There is also a Buddha with the "Good Fortune" necklece on it.

In the background of that everything, is carved landscape of ivory. Two of 3 inces small, Chinese vases belong also to this topic (my father was 40 years ago often in the far east).

Sorry thad my answer got so long - but so you can perhaps present it to you. We must buy now finally the new Digitalcamera and if I have then the new solids, I will be able to make photos from the showcases.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users