• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 10:41 PM

(Since I didn't get any replies yet to this message I left at the Showgirl topic, I thought I would post it again under a different heading.)

Well I guess if Ann & Ken don't start cataloging their work in a book, then perhaps I can encourage Lisa and Jack to do so with the contributions from the members on this site . . . asking kind permission of course and a deal with the profits . . . I'd be happy to put it together myself if no-one else wants to take it on and if the members contributing photos allow. Full credit etc. will prevail. This would be a professional and legal deal. Could even be ready in time for Christmas!

What say the "committee" members? Yay or nay?

#2 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 05:28 PM

Yeah - OK, that went down like a lead balloon. I guess no-one's willing or able and I should have taken the hint the first time! Am disappointed naturally, since there are so many fantastic pictures ideas and effort that could be recorded/preserved in a book form and shared with so many more that may not live their lives 'on-line' like my mother who is a great collector of solids, but has no wish to go on line and look. She prefers the shops! I am also sure there are many more people like her who will miss out on seeing the lovely things you guys have done with the solid displays. [Confused]

#3 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 09:41 PM

Sandra,

Yes, I think a book would be a great idea, however for many people right now I think it would be too much additional work.

Also it just puts us in a weird position where we would not want to make anyone feel obligated to contribute.

In the long run I think it would definitely be something to think of. I do appreciate your thoughts and thank you for offering your help, we will see what progresses in the future. [Big Grin]

#4 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 10:38 PM

Hi Sandra,

Yes , it is a good idea but we can't seem to figure out a way to make it work.

It is very hard work to get photos that are publishable and then you have the printing cost, selling cost(PR), how to be fair on the selection of photos, you would need new photos that have not been seen , make sure the copyright laws were followed , then pricing so someone would be willing to buy and so forth.

The photos that we post usually only get a few comments, which we enjoy very much , but not sure there is a market for more than 10 or 20 and it would not be cost effective.

We have chosen to share our photos on this web site for those who enjoy them and find it very satifiying with no pressure. Doing a book has lots of pressure.

If you or anyone can come up with a way around some of the problems we would be more than glad to add our support. [Big Grin]

Ann & Ken

#5 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 11:52 PM

Hello Sandra,

I have just read your comments and as was pointed out, I don't think it is a case of no-one being interested, just a matter of logistics.

Having worked in journalism for a while, there are difficulties you may run into. Copyright etc.

Ann and Ken's pictures, as those of other members, are always appreciated and as much as I love looking at them, I tend not to post a thank you each time!

If someone has the time and effort for your idea, then great! It could be limited to selling on the site only, but this would all have to be looked into. This would at least afford some control i.e. by way of Lisa and Jack or whoever is prepared to take on the workload etc.

Over to you all!

Jacqueline

If anyone has anything to add, then let's hear from you, somewhere out there!!

[ September 08, 2003, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: Jacqueline ]

#6 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 08 September 2003 - 01:09 AM

Thanks for the feedback . . . I know it would be a hassle to prepare, and you would of course have to weigh up the pros and cons etc. However, Ann/Ken and others, I think you are underestimating the number of people who would be interested! There are over 250 members on this site alone!

But I take your points and will let it rest. [Frown] Obviously it would need Estee Lauder's backing if it were to go ahead . . . . like Roslyn Gerson's book. Does anyone know how many that sold? DJ's had a promotion over here with it - it was free if you bought 5 solids.

#7 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 08 September 2003 - 03:58 AM

Hello Sandra,

I personally am not saying for you to let it rest!
Think it is a good idea if it can be managed.

Meanwhile I have all three of Roselyn's books. Perhaps Lisa would post a poll asking us. I know other friends on the site also have the books.

Don't give up!

Jacky [Wink]

#8 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 08 September 2003 - 08:18 AM

I can almost guarantee that Estee Lauder would not back or support any effort to do this.

Ann

#9 Jack

Jack

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 08 September 2003 - 10:23 AM

Judging from the response we have received from EL when we have contacted them merely for information, I would have to agree with Ann.

#10 Astrid

Astrid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 08 September 2003 - 10:57 AM

Hi Sandra !

First of all let me epress that I really would like to see a book like this, and I would buy it ! I always enjoy looking at the pictures of those beautiful scenes all the members show here. I also would assist in any way I could do to get the book produced.
But on the other hand as mentioned by the members here, it's a huge project, it's a matter of time and logistics, and lastly of money.

A comment/suggestion to the other ideas showing up here:

Why on earth would we need the EL company ???
And what for ???
They make solid perfumes, and that's all.
WE are the buyers, and the members here are creativ !

Wouldn't it be possible to have Roselyn Gerson as a co-author, a lady who already made several books which we all know ? I believe her advice & knowledge would help to publish a book. She's already in touch with the publisher "Collector Books" (publisher of her own books), and at least she would know what's possible and what's not.

Let me know what you think about.

Astrid

#11 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 08 September 2003 - 12:31 PM

I just spoke with Roselyn on the phone about this venture for any ideas on if there is anyway to proceed.

Her comments were the same as I have already stated about the problems .

Without strong backing( EL) and an already set up deal with a publisher , it is next to impossible to do this.
It takes 1-2 years to do a book and you have no life during that time. She doubts she will be doing anymore. (never say never).

She does a update on the solids and powder compacts in her newsletter Powder Puff if you would like to keep up on the new items.

Sorry to say , to do this just our selves would not be cost effective.

She sends her regards to everyone and reads all our messages but time limits her being able to post.

Ann

[ September 08, 2003, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: ann and ken ]

#12 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 08 September 2003 - 07:04 PM

Thanks "mate" to Jacky for your support! And also to Astrid for the enthusiasm. [Smile]
It's obvious that a few of us don't see the enivsaged 'problems' that people mention as:
1) most of the photos are already done.
2) most of the information is there.
3) the time required would be for collating it and formatting it . . . . and then getting a few prices on publishing it. [Eek!]

To others, I understand the misgivings and the weigh-up of the time/money/effort vs. profit and turning a 'hobby' into something more. [Suspicious]
I can truly appreciate and understand this. So I apologise for 'treading on toes' or offending anyone if that's the case.
It's obviously not worth the hassle to some, whereas others are happy to put the time and effort in.

But what is it we're talking about here? I'm thinking about 10 - 20 'main' pictures with maybe a few close ups and a bit of info. Perhaps also a bit about the contributors (and the site?).

Maybe a 50 page book - maximum? [Wink]

#13 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 08 September 2003 - 07:08 PM

PS. Let's not make this topic overtake the glory of the pictures being posted on this site. I'm sorry (again) for seemingly opening a 'hornet's nest'! Keep the pics coming and let's just have a friendly 'chat' about this book idea.

#14 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 08 September 2003 - 08:37 PM

Lighten up, Sandra! [New Laugh] [New Laugh]

No one sounds up set here. [Big Grin]

I really enjoy viewing the photos on this site.

Get yourself a digi camera and join in the fun. [New Laugh]

I must say it's hard work, but a whole lotta fun. [Silly]

I "double dingo dare" you to join in on taking the photos. I would love to see your collection and your mom. [Big Grin]

Bye, KK [Smile]

#15 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 08 September 2003 - 08:53 PM

Sandra,

Again I appreciate your thoughts, all I can say is this site is our "book" [Smile]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users