#1 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 04:47 PM

Please be careful of the two sellers on ebay that are selling "samples"

xxzipoxx & gn590

Both of these sellers are from Queens, NY, they both accept "MO,cash and personal checks with a 10 day hold" and both are using photos with the same blue background.

I have been contacted several times by xxzipoxx stating that he has more solids to sell and claiming that he has other people interested who will send him "the max."

I am not saying that either of these two sellers aren't legit but I thought I would point out similarities.

[Confused]

[ July 05, 2002, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

#2 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 05:51 PM

Thanks for mentioning this. Unfortunately, I bid on one of their auctions prior to reading your post. I guess I'll either cancel or hope someone outbids me.

I'm relieved I'm not the only one feeling suspicious. Look at their completed auctions. Notice how they bid on each others auctions.

Also, there's another pair of sellers who appear to bid on each other auctions. Look carefully. I don't want to list the userids just in case. I believe these people are not regular buyers/sellers of solids.

#3 marie5

marie5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 05:56 PM

I wanted to bid on some of their auctions but don't dare to. Would be interested in knowing how it turns out for winning bidders.

#4 pixiepoo

pixiepoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 July 2002 - 02:22 PM

Just wondering why you are referring to them as "samples"? Is it because they have no box or perfume?

Thanks for any info from experienced collectors.

#5 Lauderlover

Lauderlover

Lauderlover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 04 July 2002 - 02:50 PM

Oh God! I just bought the globe from one of them! I thought the deal was too good to be true! I won it for only $200. I know it's empty and all, but now I just hope that I'll receive it! Yeah, won of them sent me an email concerning another item stating that they've received generous offers and the tone of the email was rude, telling me to be patient?? I purchased insurance on it too! I'll let you know if and when I get it! Thanks for the heads up!

#6 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 04 July 2002 - 04:43 PM

Yes,I am referring to the solids as "samples" because they have no box, perfume or sticker on the solid.

#7 pixiepoo

pixiepoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 July 2002 - 05:26 PM

Just curious if there is such a thing as a sample, for instance, do the Estee Lauder sales reps use them to show stores or clients the new products? Some of the pictures on ebay appear as though these items never had perfume in them.

#8 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 04 July 2002 - 08:39 PM

No, they have never had perfume in them. As far as I know they are not given to the reps and they can't be purchased anywhere.

[ July 04, 2002, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

#9 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 05 July 2002 - 09:31 AM

I asked that same question to an Estee VP at the Dallas IPBA Convention. He said that they do not make samples. More than likely these are solids that the employees "took" home.

#10 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 05 July 2002 - 07:05 PM

From what I have heard, several "sample" solids are made in the design studio each year and then brought to Evelyn Lauder where she chooses what solids are to be produced.

At the convention in Vegas we were shown a short film by Estee Lauder on what goes on during the production process of the solids. We were shown some examples of sample solids that never made it to production.

This would explain some of the solids seen recently on ebay like the bee, purple butterfly & artist palette. [Confused]

#11 2Sweet

2Sweet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 09:25 AM

I have noticed those "samples" also, for a good deal it would look pretty in my collection but are probably not worth any value...my guess. Did you notice that NONE of them (that I have seen have the Estee Lauder imprint on them? That is one of the important details of identifying these as authentic. Even if it didn't have the box, perfume or sticker on the bottom I would at least want the imprint.

#12 2Sweet

2Sweet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 09:26 AM

I forgot to put in there that I heard there is a warehouse in NY that you can buy them at, I would like to go there out of curiosity.

#13 Maeuschen

Maeuschen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 02:19 PM

Hi all together !
Yesterday I mailed to xxipoxx (Marius) and I asked him about the Artist Palet. He told me he got it from an estate sale and that he knows nothing about this solid perfume.
Does anyone here knows something about it.
A friend ( Marlies ) told me last year she has the information the artist palet was made for 2001
for the australian collection - she told me that there is a snowball too. But I dont saw them before. Could it be that it is for the spring collection 2003 as a nice addition to the weekend artist.
I know about another prototype - it is an enameled duck.
Where can we get more informations about prototypes wich are not in produktion. It could be a nice addition to Roselyn Gersons Book. I think that there are photos made from this nice solids and maybe Bob Conte or the other Designers
can send them to Roselyn and she could publish them for us. We dont want to die stupid !!! ;o)

#14 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 03:02 PM

If anyone wants imformation on these "samples" you can email us and we will be glad to answer any questions.

Ken and Ann
(pages 7,8,9&10,Roselyn's book).
clark.kenneth@world.att.net

#15 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 04:51 PM

Every year Estee Lauder is presented with designs of perfume cases for their solid perfume.
- The exclusives for Neiman and Estee in Las Vegas - Victoria+Co (Robert Conte V.P.)
- The exclusives for Sak's- This year Jay Strongwater.
- Full distribution- In house.

An ink drawing is first selected and then from that drawing examples are made for viewing. There can be many variations of one perfume compact case (15 different colored fish with pearl) before the final selection is made.

After the perfume compact case is chosen it is then photographed for the catalogues and sales reps.
If a solid case runs into production problems it is not made and the list collectors (who get early information) have, will not match what is then sold in retail stores. As an example: Enough black crystals were not available in time for production of the black cowboy hat, and the red cowboy hat was substituted. The bee was to large and Evelyn Lauder did not like it.( nick named by the designer as "The Bee That ate N.Y.") If you have last years Neiman Marcus catalog you can see the white elephant became a black bear in the Circus Tent. The pink cowboy boot was not selected for various reasons.

After the cases are made they are then sent to Canada to be filled with perfume, labeled, and boxed; then sent to retail stores. [Smile] [Smile] NOW THEY ARE ESTEE LAUDER SOLID PERFUME COMPACTS!! [Smile] [Smile]

These prototype examples (samples) were never intended to be sold and are considered as "taken" without permission from the design studios. The only exception that we know of is the ivory frog that was given to a long time employee. She used it as a paper weight till her retirement; and, then sold it for a quarter at a flea market..

You can call these "samples" but the higher ups call them stolen property. [Frown]

The views expressed are based on conversations with top level people at Estee Lauder and various design studios.

And, of course, with advanced and knowledgeable collectors, who usually know more than the EL higher ups. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

These 'prototypes' should not be confused with FAKES. That is another story.

For more information on making of Estee Lauder Solids, see page 25 of Roelyn's book. See pages 27-32 for samples of prototype drawings and sketches of EL solids.

Ken & Ann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users