31 replies to this topic

#16 Nicki169

Nicki169

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 11:19 PM

Smileigh,
There is nothing to be embarassed about. How wonderful that your husband knew just what to get you for a gift!

Some of the solids, like the poodle or cafe (coffe cup) are on EBay all the time. As a result you are able to get them at a more reasonable price.

Some solids are seen on EBay less frequently and that causes the bidding to go up rather high.

The giraffe is a great solid and a wonderful edition to any EL solid collection!

Enjoy it! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Barb

#17 Jeanette

Jeanette

Jeanette

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 01:02 PM

Smileigh,

How thoughtful of your husband to go out of his way to get you the giraffe.

I definitely have some solids that I probably overpaid for but I really wanted them. And I have found a few bargains too. So, as Ann said, it all balances out in the end.

Enjoy your giraffe!

Jeanette [Big Grin]

#18 Uma

Uma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 01:38 PM

Hello Smileigh,
Congratulation for your giraffe.
Last month I also bought a giraffe from a Solidmember here,because there was no Giraffe on Ebay!
Im also love this beautiful solid and Im glad to have it.I have order it,my husband paid it and hide the solid till my Birthday.
We have very kind husbands isnt it [Big Grin] [Big Grin] .

Enjoy your solid,many greetings Uma [Smile] [Smile]

#19 lauderlady

lauderlady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 03:18 PM

Hi Smilegh and welcome to the world of Solids!
If I spent time thinking of all the solids I had paid over the odds for there wouldn't be enough time in the day!
As the others have said before me it's not overpriced if you really want it, that's what auctions are all about!!
The one who wants it the most wins!
So just think of it that you haven't overpaid you have just won a very valued item! [Wink]
After all, the Carousel I think sold for about $200 and now many people would pay way beyond that.
So your Giraffe one day may be priceless who knows [Eek!] but a husbands love is definately priceless and you have that [Big Grin]
Love perfume how did you manage to get a Red Balloon as I would love one of those! [Big Grin]
Regards
Maggie [Cool]

[ August 08, 2003, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: lauderlady ]

#20 Nicki169

Nicki169

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 06:22 PM

Maggie,
There is a red hot air balloon on EBay. The item number is #2944726300.

Barb

#21 sparkle4me

sparkle4me

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 07:45 PM

Hi Smileigh! [Smile]
I'm rather new to collecting solids (and EL compacts too) also! [Big Grin] I think what your husband did was very, very sweet! Look, when something is retired, the only bad time to overpay is when it comes to whether or not to pay the electric or get the item. Since you seem to really love your giraffe, then you know what? A few extra dollars isn't a problem. Don't be embarassed sweetie! [Big Grin] Only be happy and enjoy your new perfume. [Smile]
-- Jeannie [Big Grin]

#22 sparkle4me

sparkle4me

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 07:48 PM

I almost forgot something! With eBay.. have to be careful with schills! GRRRRR!!! They make my blood boil! [Mad] So, just take a looksy at how many bids and who's been bidding and such so you don't get taken by a louse. I messed up and forgot to and got taken for a ride (not perfume or powder related) but not too bad of one.

The one time I forgot!
To quote the great Homer J. Simpson, "D'oh!"
-- Jeannie

#23 loveperfume

loveperfume

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 08:26 PM

Hi Lauderlady. The red balloon was on ebay. The one that is on ebay now is not red but pink. I confirmed this by asking the seller. It has perfume but no label on the bottom. It is item # 2944726300.

#24 mimi

mimi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 12:10 AM

Hi Smileigh,

I am very happy that your husband bid on that little sweet giraffe for you. It's a dear little piece and I know you will enjoy it.

You know, I too, am new to this wonderful addiction and believe me when I started bidding, I overbid on everything . Now that I am getting some guidance from all of you I'm learning.

Just enjoy your solids and your wonderful husband!!

Thanks for sharing the story of your special gift with all of us!!

Happy Anniversary,

Mimi

#25 Redmpeaches

Redmpeaches

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 02:11 AM

hi smileleigh ,thank u 4 your lovely story and u are lucky to have such a kind husband .Maggie, were u able to get your red balloon.I emailed u a week ago but your mailbox was full.Keep in touch,Kim

#26 klassicguy1

klassicguy1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 07:54 AM

Smileigh - I think that is great about your new treasure - and I wouldn't say that anyone overpaid for the giraffe. Let's not forget that there were other buyers that bid that price up - so they were very willing to pay a higher price. It is true - Ebay is up and down - the next giraffe can go for less, and it could go for more! But isn't it all just fun!

#27 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 08:51 AM

Yes Woody, it is great fun.

I was only 30 years old 4 years ago when I started collecting solids. Now I am 85 and greyhaired. But it is great fun. [New Laugh] [New Laugh] [New Laugh] [New Laugh]
Ann

P.S.
Ken got old overnight also. [New Laugh] [New Laugh] [New Laugh] [New Laugh]

#28 smileigh

smileigh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 10:56 AM

Welll.... guess what just arrived! Mommy and baby giraffe have come to live at my house! [Smile] This little solid is so very beautiful!
I wanted to thank everyone for your wonderful words. I think both my husband and I now know that he most certainly did NOT overpay for this little beauty!
The minute I held it I knew that it was priceless for me. [Cry] (fanning my eyes , 'cause I'm going to tear up again) [Cry]
Good Lord, am I ever hooked now!!! [Big Grin] [Silly] [Big Grin] Ahhhh well, I was looking for full time work anyway! [New Laugh] There are worse addictions to have.
Thank you all again for sharing your words and stories. I'll try to take a picture so I can show off my new 'priceless' babies! [Wink]

#29 sparkle4me

sparkle4me

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 01:14 PM

Hi Smileigh! [Big Grin]
Congratulations on your new addition!! I know how you feel about getting something that you really wanted. I sort of teared up myself when I got my Cinderella's Coach. [Smile] If something brings you happiness and it's legal and doesn't interfere with paying the electric bill, then I say, "Go for it!" [Cool]
-- Jeannie

#30 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 01:52 PM

Hi Smileigh -

I'm sorry...forgot what I was going to say. Am still wiping my eyes and blowing my nose. [Cry] [Cry] That's the nicest sentiment I've ever read....you are both so lucky and blessed, with or without the Mommy Giraffe and Baby.

Take care...welcome to collecting... [Wink] [Wink]
Michele

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users