• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 vonnie

vonnie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 10:35 PM

Did anybody see that the giraffe sold for about $250.00. That is disgusting. It retailed for $100.00 last fall. I think its a ripoff. vonnie

#2 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 12:20 AM

Some bidders are willing to pay outragous prices...especially ebay newbies & new collectors, and people who want an item bad.

Bidding went crazy August of last year. Too many newbies registered on ebay at the same time. Hmm, it's a good time to list. [Big Grin]

#3 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 11:00 AM

We need newbies, they are what keeps our collecting alive and well! [Big Grin]

#4 klassicguy1

klassicguy1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 03:07 PM

I totally agree Lisa - the newbies are critical to any collecting field. There are a number of areas I know of that are dying because no new - and I have to say - younger folks are not starting to collect. One of the best things I saw at the Las Vegas convention was the young lady that was so excited about buying solids for her collection. I thought that was a very good sign for all of us existing collectors.

#5 vonnie

vonnie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 06:44 PM

Its not a matter of newbies. The problem I see is the exploitive prices of ebay.

#6 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 08:25 PM

Hi Vonnie:

Had to edit this, although I will repeat some of the last. eBay is an auction, not a retail store. It's a place we all go to find things we love that we cannot find on the open market. Sometimes we all pay too much for an item...sometimes we pay less than expected. It's a toss of the coin and in the end, it's a wash.

No one is exploited...one places a bid based on their economic level and their desire for an item.

No prices are set...every one has a choice...you bid what you can afford.

If you don't like it, stay away from it. I sell AND buy, and I enjoy doing both. What's too much for you might be very reasonable for me. It's all up to the bidder.

Bottom line, it's fun, as long as it's fair and honest.

End.

[ August 09, 2003, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: Michele ]

#7 vonnie

vonnie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 08:32 PM

No I did not have a bad experience on Ebay. I have never used the sight. Secondly, I have a right to express my opinion. If I feel the price is too high I can say so. I just will not bid on it. As for the stock market, if you follow it enough you will know when to buy and sell. Further, the key is to buy solid companies Miss Michelle.vonnie

#8 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 08:36 PM

[Frown] Jeeeezzzz, Vonnie...you're having a really bad day, aren't you? Things will get better. And you're from New Jersey, too. That's ok...

Be happy...
Michele

#9 vonnie

vonnie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 08:42 PM

No I am not having a bad day. It is your opinion.vonnie

#10 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 08:47 PM

Sooooo, how's everyone else doing? [Wink]

#11 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 12:46 AM

THERE ARE A LOT OF DISGUSTING THINGS THAT HAPPEN ON EBAY, A LOT OF PRICES THAT ARE OUTRAGEOUS, BUT REMEMBER THERE ARE ALSO A LOT OF BARGAINS!

WE JUST HAVE TO UNDERSTAND HOW THE SUPPLY AND DEMAND IMPACTS ON THE PRICES AT CERTAIN TIMES OF THE YEAR AND BE PLEASANTLY SURPRISED ABOUT IT INSTEAD OF OUTRAGED.

DON'T FORGET THAT IT'S WORLDWIDE AND WHAT IS CHEAP IN YOUR COUNTRY ISN'T ALWAYS AVAILABLE IN OTHER PLACES, NOT TO MENTION THE LAND DISTANCE ONE HAS TO TRAVEL TO FIND 'A BARGAIN' IF ONE DOESN'T WANT TO USE CREDIT CARD TO PAY AND SEND.

ALSO, NOVICES ARE JUST AS GOOD TO HAVE AROUND AS THE 'MORE EXPERIENCED', SHALL WE SAY. HOWEVER, SAYING THAT, THERE ARE ALSO ALOT OF 'SHARKS' WHO PREY ON THE 'NEWIES', OF WHICH, I WOULD SAY, WE HAVE ALL BEEN VICTIMS OF AT SOME STAGE - AND THEY ARE THE ONES WHO RATTLE ME AND MAKE ME FEEL RIPPED OFF. SAD TO SAY, THERE ARE SOME RELATED TO THIS SITE, BUT I THINK OVER TIME YOU WORK OUT WHO THEY ARE. YOU JUST HAVE TO WATCH WHAT YOU SAY HERE AS IT'S FOR EVERYONE TO SEE.

#12 smileigh

smileigh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 09:56 AM

ahhh, I am both embarassed [Embarrassed] and yet kind of pleased [Razz] to say that the person who bid so high on the giraffs is my husband. He knows how much I love those beautiful animals and how much I love my new solid collection. He was trying to get me a present for our anniversary that would 'wow' me on both fronts. I am new to the solid arena and I did not know he was bidding. Even if I had known, I do not know enough to have been able to tell him that he was really overbiding. ( though I would have come here to ask advice ) He knows nothing about them at all, except that it was kind of 'love at first sight' for me when I got my first one. As I said, I am in some ways thrilled that he was willing to go so far to surprise me and make me happy. Sorry if his bidding really did upset anyone. Chalk it up to love and inexperience. Now that he knows about this site, he promised to check in to make sure he is in the 'ballpark'.

#13 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 10:23 AM

Smileigh,

How very sweet of your husband! Thanks for sharing that with us, you are lucky to have such a thoughtful husband!
[Big Grin]
The giraffe is a lovely solid, it was priced well and sold out fast, it cannot be found at the CCS and I don't think your husband over paid for it because there were others bidding too so more than one person wanted it- classic supply and demand.

It's all about what you love and what you do for love. If anyone wants a solid that bad and can afford it then I say "go for it!" I have overpaid for solids many times but they make me happy and I am glad to have them.

Enjoy your solid.

This one because of how you got (from your husband) is priceless! [Big Grin]

[ August 08, 2003, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

#14 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 10:52 AM

Agree with Lisa. If you love it you can't over pay. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

We have many , many that we have overpaid on and would bet that everyone here has also. [Big Grin]

The way I figure it you overpay on one , find a bargain on another and it averages out. [Big Grin]

Ann & Ken

#15 loveperfume

loveperfume

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 11:17 PM

I know what you mean by overpaying. I just bought the red fantastic voyage and recently the blue fantastic voyage. My husband and I are involved in hot air ballooning so they are solids that I really want. However, I think you could almost buy a real balloon for the same price! LOL! Just kidding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users