39 replies to this topic

#31 Jeanette

Jeanette

Jeanette

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 07:14 AM

I agree, Ann. If it is true that JL will design perfume solids for EL, I hope we do not have to pay "designer" prices! [Suspicious] And I absolutely agree that we do not want these pieces to end up at the warehouse sale!! [Mad]

Uma, JL's bags are wonderful...just wish they weren't so expensive! There are some folks who collect her bags. I remember reading several years ago how an actress (Diahnn Carroll) collects JL bags and has a display case in her closet to showcase them.

Jeanette [Big Grin]

[ August 08, 2003, 08:08 AM: Message edited by: Jeanette ]

#32 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 07:35 AM

Hi Michele,

I am not sure when he started with EL . We met him in 1998 and he had been there awhile but don't know how long. At that time he was only designing the the exclusives.
He was reportedly upset with the Jay Strongwater hiring.
He quit answering our emails about that same time. We were sending him photos at HIS request.
He said he was using them to inspire his workers(PRBS).

Ann

#33 loveperfume

loveperfume

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 11:21 PM

I hope the prices don't go up any higher either. They are pretty pricey. I wonder if the designers read this website. If so I would like to suggest they design a lighthouse!

#34 Nicki169

Nicki169

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 11:37 PM

The lighthouse is a great idea for a new solid!

Now that the Taj Mahal has been done the door has been opened for other possibilities. Such as the Eiffel Tower, The Colliseum, and the Parthenon.

#35 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 12:56 PM

The lighthouse would be great with the Marlin. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
A pretty blue and white swirl. Totally crystals.

Ann

#36 pancho

pancho

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 01:55 PM

I'm not sure if I'm crazy or not, but I thought that Judith Leiber had passed away some time ago? I know her company is going strong, but that she was deceased. Katherine Baumann (sp?) who was at one of the conventions, is doing a lot of the JL designs also and has designed for the Estee Lauder Company.

There are many companies already in existance who do bags etc. that are exactly the same inside and out at a fraction of the price. I hope people don't get hung up on the name only.

I think Bob Conte should break away and form his own company, I'd be glad to support him instead of the Estee Lauder Company.

The only one I have ordered this year (so far) is the showgirl and the necklace which I will put on a chain instead of the cord.

Thanks for all the info. everyone, have a nice weekend!

#37 Jack

Jack

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 02:25 PM

I'm not sure if she is still alive, but she is no longer the designer behind the company. According to most sources, Judith Leiber retired from designing in 1999.

It's sort of like talking about Estee Lauder...we are more talking about the company than the person now.

I just found a bit more information. According to an AP story I just found online, Judith Leiber was alive and well as of October 2002 (at age 81). She reportedly was bored with retirement and is/was "creating coffee-table and dining accessories in silver for department stores under her maiden name of Ditty Peto."

[ August 08, 2003, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: Jack ]

#38 vonnie

vonnie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 03:03 PM

I went on the Judith Leiber website yesterday and found that she is launching shoes and eyeglasses. I guess Manolo has some competition. vonnie

#39 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 03:36 PM

Last year I saw who I thought was JL on the Larry King show and she was young(40's). Had her handbags she had done for the awards show.
Maybe I was seeing Kathrine Baumann.

It would make more sense if EL was having KB design the new solids since she already does the powder compacts for EL.
The imformation I have was JL was doing the new solids, but maybe the imformation has JL and KB mixed up.
Their work is very alike from what I have seen(not much). [Big Grin]

Time will tell. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Ann

#40 vonnie

vonnie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 03:44 PM

I agree with you Ann, especially the stained glass compact Katharine made looks similar to Judith's bag designs. vonnie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users