#1 P.E.Parry

P.E.Parry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 05:52 PM

Hi Collectors!

Can anyone help me with the going rate for a Red
Christmas Camellia? I don't have anything in my data base for this one and like to keep up on the current prices for insurance purposes.

Will appreciate any helpful response. Thanks.

Phyllia

#2 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 05:55 PM

If I am buying $50 is good , If I am selling $700 is good. [New Laugh]

$500- $700 use to be the range.
Depending on condition etc.

Ann

#3 mostlyminis

mostlyminis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 10:40 AM

Oh, tooooo funny, Ann, and tooooo true.

#4 Liliane

Liliane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 02:59 PM

Phyllia - In February of this year I purchased a red Camellia on eBey and got her under $ 600.00! It is in perfect condition, unfortunately empty and without box but with a beautiful label.

I think that was a good purchase! Otherwise I am like Ann. I naturally rather would have paid only $ 50.00!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] I think, there we have all same opinion [New Laugh] [New Laugh] [New Laugh]

#5 P.E.Parry

P.E.Parry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 07:38 PM

Liliane:
Thanks for the response. [Smile] I have to tell you - I did find the Camellia for w a y under the $50.00 you and Ann are joking about. Perfect condition, perfume barely touched, perfect label, no box. I am still pinching myself to be sure I really own it for this small amount. And - I am trying to put together my collections with pictures, receipts, checks, etc. for my insurance company. I wonder how they will look at it - from the stand point of what I paid for an item or if I can prove the current value? [Confused] I think the collectors books may help in this matter. I hope so.
Best to you
Phyllis

#6 Martha

Martha

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 04:33 AM

Less than $50. [Eek!] Way to go Phyllis. [Wink] All of us collectors are looking for a treasure like you found.

#7 mimi

mimi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 09:18 AM

Oh Phyllis,

What a find. [Eek!] Please tell us how you found that bargain. I'd love to hear about it....It gives me HOPE [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Have a great day..

Mimi

#8 P.E.Parry

P.E.Parry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 06:57 PM

Thanks for the encouragement Martha:

It was an incredible piece of luck. I wish you the a find of the same sort. [Smile]

Phyllis

#9 P.E.Parry

P.E.Parry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 07:51 PM

Hello Mimi:

It was just a wonderful piece of luck. My husband and I were looking around an antique mall when he spotted the item and called me over. Asking an attendant to open the case I examined it and found it to be full of the good old Youth Dew and having a perfect label. The flower had some white film and I was concerned that maybe something chemical had discolored it. When I turned the tag over to reveal the low price I didn't even care that it might be damaged. Taking it home and washing the flower with a mild soap and soft toothbrush the flower was georgous, perfect condition, just an accumulation of dust. I have been walking on air all week. [Smile] I never expected a find like this even though we do go to a lot of antique shows and malls. I hope that you can make a happy discovery like this someday soon.
All I can say is Keep Looking!!
Appreciate your interest and kindness.
Best regards to you.
Phyllis

#10 mimi

mimi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 10:55 PM

Thank you Phyllis. I really have never gone to antique shows or markets. We, here in Texas, have a special "weekend" that is named "First Monday" in Canton, Tx. It is a huge "conglomeration" of booths, tents, sheds...you name it.....they probably have it!! [Eek!]

I have only been once and wasn't much of a collector of anything at that time [Frown] ...but now that I have begun to learn from all of you...I'm ready to go..armed with my "piggy bank" and portable oxygen in case I hyperventilate should I find a real treasure.....like my Concho or Party shoes, Carousel etc... [Big Grin] [Eek!] [Big Grin]

Who knows??? I might just get lucky!! [Wink]

Reporting from Texas: Home of "First Monday in Canton"!

Mimi

#11 Carol

Carol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 11:30 PM

Hello,
The posts reminded me of the day I found my Ivory Foo Dog. My brother likes to go to flea markets had he convinced me to go with him to one I have attended before but found it to be junk and not substance so I had not been there in years. However, this particular day I gave in and met him there. I entered the main entrance and there on the table right next to me was the ivory Foo Dog. I could hardly contain myself. I grabed it, held it, peeked at it to make sure it was really in my hands and then stole a look at the price......that's when I needed the oxygen. It was under market value by about $500!!! When I met up with my Brother, I was grinning from ear to ear and when he looked at my treasure, he said "I hope you didn't pay too much for THAT". Of course, he didn't understand the treasure I had just found. So, Mimi, go to your First Monday In Canton Sale and search everywhere, you never know where your treasure will turn up!

Enjoy, Carol

#12 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 07:55 AM

Hi Mimi,

We use to go to Canton a lot.

We would leave our house at midnight Wed. and be there for dawn Thurs. when the dealers are setting up( 6 hours from our house). The place is so large you can't walk it in one day but we would give it our best.

We quit going after most of the dealers turned to selling crafty stuff and you had to walk so far. Plus Ebay was invented. It use to be 13 miles if you walked to whole thing. Ebay was invented. And being outside you had to worry
about the weather. Plus ebay was invented.

We do miss the rummaging around and would like to go back but Ebay was invented. [New Laugh] [New Laugh] [New Laugh]

Do you ever go to Round Top??

Ann

Never found a treasure at Canton but did get a nice tan once. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

[ July 23, 2003, 08:54 AM: Message edited by: ann and ken ]

#13 mimi

mimi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 10:28 AM

Hi Ann....

I have never been to Round Top....what's there??

Thanks...
Mimi

#14 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 11:27 PM

Round Top is near Houston . They have the same thing twice a year. April and Sept. No crafty things so even though it does't seem as large it has more "stuff".

Email me and I will send you imfo.
clarkkennth@cox.net

Ann

#15 Liliane

Liliane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 02:57 AM

Good morning Phyllia

Thanks a lot for sharing this experience - this nice story!

It's very improbably that us in Europe happens such a thing , since most very valuable solids did not appear at all in Europe. However I know someone lucky, which found at a flea market in Switzerland, some years ago, the "Nesting Duck" of the ivory series, for very little money!!!

When I began ten years ago with collecting solids , I did not know at all, how many solids it gives and how they all look like. To this time I went very much at flea markets and antiques shows. Who knows, perhaps I just simply past at a splendour piece.

Enjoy your day!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users