14 replies to this topic

#1 sparkle4me

sparkle4me

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 08:03 PM

Hi!
I have seen a few very pretty empty solid compacts. Obviously down the line they'll be worth less than the ones with the perfume in it but my questions are this... Are they really worth collecting? Does anyone on here collect them?
The other thing I was wondering is, are there specific people that tend to sell a lot on eBay? I personally know bbking2 so I know she's okay. However, what about the other people selling on there? Does anyone know the woman selling the Harrods truck that's in the UK?
I guess I'm chock full o' questions! But hey, that's okay bc I'm new to this! [Cool]

Jeannie

#2 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 12:03 AM

I collected some empties. It's great if boxed solids are out of your price range -or- you want a cheap version of a common solid -or- it's difficult to find your favorites. The slot machine is my most prized empty solid because I can't afford the MIB version. Who knows, it could be a temporary placement solid before someone lists another at a low BIN. [New Laugh]

Ebay sellers ~ 2 favorites I bought the most from are bbqueencanada & bbking2. There are other good sellers, but I can't remember....haven't bought much from any single person besides the 2 mentioned.

The worst are those warehouse solid/compact sellers. Also, people who tend to pick up that one solid at an "estate" sale and who could care less. = Bad packaging and flaws not mentioned.

#3 mimi

mimi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 12:32 AM

I can speak very highly of BBQueen in Canada. I've purchased a couple of pieces from her and was very, very pleased! [Smile] [Smile] [Wink]

Mimi

#4 Lauderlover

Lauderlover

Lauderlover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 07:56 AM

I've met BBQueen (Brenda) at the past two Vegas conventions and she is very nice. Her stuff has always arrived as described and is mint condition. BBKing2 is excellent too! Ofcourse, Calbeanies@aol.com is an avid collector and reliable too. The cuties of france is also terrific, haven't seen any of her stuff lately though!

#5 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 12:27 PM

Hi Lauderlover and Mimi, Brenda (BBQueen) is also originally from Edinburgh so she's a scot like me. I too have bought from her and find dealings are excellent. Plus we have wee chats about Scotland. It is a very small world really. Maybe in 50 years or so we'll be buying from someone from Mars or whereever and think nothing of it.

Nancy

#6 sparkle4me

sparkle4me

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 04:22 PM

Thanks folks for your opinion! Maybe then I'll bid on some empties and I'm now aware of some stuff (estate sale, warehouse) because of yas! Thank you so much! [Smile]
If you've got more advice for me, bring it on! [Big Grin] I'd appreciate it.
Jeannie

#7 P.E.Parry

P.E.Parry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 07:45 PM

Hi All:
I am glad to hear that BBQueen is an okay seller. I have avoided buying anything offered by that name. Now I will change my thinking on those listings because I know you guys are the best.. I had seen several items that were listed by her that were solid perfume "boxes". These seemed to be boxes that could be used for perfume, if you cared to add perfume. I felt that unless the items had originally been created as a solid perfume they should not be entered under the solid perfume catagory on ebay. Having purchased many many solids over ebay I have learned to be very careful about reading descriptions and ignoring the hype from persons trying to cash in with items that don't qualify as solid perfumes. Don't you hate it when an item is listed as Estee Lauder "Type"? I do. All most 100% of my purchases on ebay have been completely honest and as described. Which goes to prove - you meet the most wonderful people in this solid perfume collecting hobby
Regards Phyllis

#8 pancho

pancho

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 12:08 PM

Hi Phylis....I think if you saw bbqueen's listings they were always listed under "trinket boxes" and the word "solid perfume" was used in the heading....in the descriptions it always said "would look great displayed with a solid perfume" (and they do!).... There are many other solid perfumes that are not Estee and they all look nice displayed together. I never saw a reference in the HEADING to Estee Lauder type etc. That is AGAINST Ebay's copyright infringement rules, so if you ever see anything like this with ANY listing on any copyrighted item....turn them into Ebay and their listing will be pulled. I have done this many times personally to sellers using Estee falsely in their headings, also Chanel (which is my fragrance) or other brand names. Hope this info. helps....the Ebay rating system is also another great indication of a good, honest, reputable, recognized seller.

Take care

#9 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 01:49 PM

Hi Pancho,

I am confused. Aren't you bbqueen?

If so We have bought from you and were satisfied.
But to a new person , if they don't read the copy , they may think that you are selling solid perfume boxes. Some are , some are not.

Ann

#10 P.E.Parry

P.E.Parry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 03:24 PM

Hi Ann and Ken
I am not a "new person" having otained over 225 ELs and more than 300 "others". About 15 of them were purchased from you (Ken) at the IPBA in Orlando (at least two of them were Estess, the flat panda and an older shell, can't remember which others). All I know is that I came home from there with 13 ELs and about twice the number of others. Glad I didn't go to Vegas I would have had to sell my car! Thank goodness for Lisa and Jack who made us feel we were there too. I do carefully read the copy on ebay. Just annoys me to have to pull up the item to find it is not a perfume. Trinket boxes should be listed under that catagory. Since boxes, compacts and trinkets are used interchangeably by some sellers and it is entered under the solid perfume catagory you are lead to believe it is a solid until you read all the copy. Waste of time!
Love your wonderful displays!!!
Sincerely,
Phyllis

#11 pancho

pancho

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 04:03 PM

Hi, Ken and Ann.....yes it is me, bbqueencanada (note my new Ebay name)....my puppy's name is Pancho....I know we have had wonderful dealings together and hopefully we will again.

Just to clarify once more to Phyllis.....I have most always listed the boxes that are NOT solid perfumes in the Trinket Box category....when I first started selling them, I just used an old listing which was in the perfume category....but all my new listings have been under trinket boxes and I have always been very clear about what they are.

I am a big collector (not quite as big as I used to be since I am going back to compacts) and have a lovely display in our Antique store....I have turned a lot of people on to the Estee's, compacts and solid perfumes because they had never seen them before. Several have joined the club because of the information I have given them.
In fact, last year a couple that came into our store, Bill & Elaine flew to the convention in Las Vegas after me telling them about it,and spent thousands of dollars and made a lot of people's show. We haven't seen them since then (they live in Vancouver) but have spoken with them. She is thinking about opening up a Museum...her pieces are incredible.

I have no outlet stores close to me....the closest one believe it or not would be California since Canada is a HUGE country and the Province of Ontario which I think has an outlet store, is 3000 miles away. I buy strictly retail + taxes + shipping. I started buying them about 7 years ago.

I am now downsizing since I discovered the trinket boxes that look very similar for a fraction of the price. I guess I am not a purist and I am not rich.

I also collect Sherman costume jewelery, sterling ring boxes, bridge tallies and trump indicators, and other solid perfumes. My husband collects fountain pens.

I have gone to 12 of the last 13 compact conventions which have been held all over the U.S.
As most of you know, I live in Canada and my husband and I own the largest Antique and Collectible store in Victoria, British Columbia.

We have a webpage if you'd like to check it out sometime...it is:

www.recollectionsantiques.com

(sorry I don't know how to link it)

If anyone is coming this way for a holiday please let me know...tourism is our #1 industry here.

I used to be in public relations and marketing for Tourism so am familiar with the whole Province of British Columbia.

When I joined as a member (#53) I thought I had mentioned all of this....if not, now you all know!

I would like to thank everyone who has left such nice comments about me on this site. I do my best to keep everyone happy. Once again a big thank you to Lisa and Jack for developing this site.

Happy Summer.............Pancho (aka Brenda)

#12 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 05:57 PM

Pancho,

Nice to see a connection! I travelled to Victoria June of last year. I visited your antique store on accident and saw your Lauder displays. I was dissapointed that none of them were for sale.

You have one of the best antiques stores I saw in North America. You have real antiques at reasonable prices. I didn't bring enough cash to buy the items I liked. If you see the stores in Houston, TX you would cry = low quality for sky high prices with too many reproductions and new items thrown in. [Cry] We have too much wholesale junk in my city especially at flea markets....items from China or Mexico, take your pick. [Mad]

I love Canada! [Cool]

#13 pancho

pancho

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 06:55 PM

Thanks for the compliments Greyhound....we are very proud of our store....we have been opened now for 7 years.....darn I wish I had met you...I could have shown you some of my other goodies in the back. We have very strict rules for our dealers and won't let them put in any reproduction or new items....our visitors love seeing "the real deal" Our area is very British, tons of people retire here from the UK and have relatives....we tend to get a lot of English antiques....thanks again....maybe you'll make it out here again some day! By the way I do collect Canada compacts (I have about 9 different designs) and Scottish ones (I was born there)

Take care.........I love the U.S. too, we go there a lot (Seattle area)

#14 sparkle4me

sparkle4me

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 10:08 PM

A head's up for those of you who want a recommendation of eBay sellers, bbking2 (Helen) is a great person to deal with. She's a friend of mine. I used to buy other stuff from her.
Jeannie

#15 Nicki169

Nicki169

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 11:59 PM

Jeannie,
I have purchased empty EL solids and I have also purchased solids without their boxes. I think both ways are o.k. if you are buying just for display purposes. If you intend on selling your solids than best is MIB. I did purchase some in MIB, so I do have some boxes. I live in a condo and I don't really have room to store alot of empty EL boxes. Plus the empty ones are cheaper than MIB. This allows methe ability to add more EL solids to my collection. [Smile] [Smile]

Barb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users