Ebay practices question

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_cracklinandsweet_*

Guest_cracklinandsweet_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2002 - 01:15 PM

I have an item up now with a fairly high reserve. A bidder met the reserve less than 48 hours into the auction. She emailed me asking if I would end it now and for what price. This struck me as shady and something ebay would prohibit, so I looked through its Help information. What I found suggests it's not entirely against the rules, but it's unclear what the bottom line is. I have no desire to end the auction early since several people have indicated a desire to bid and it seems unfair to end it early just because she wants the item, but I'd like to know in case it happens again.

#2 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 19 June 2002 - 03:33 PM

I think it is O.K. to ask a seller to end an auction early only if there are no other bids involved. Then it is up to the seller to accept or decline the offer. If there are any other bids then I don't feel it is fair to the other bidders for someone to ask to end the auction early.

But remember if any transaction takes place outside of ebay both parties are not covered in case of a fraudulent transaction.

If the seller has a price in mind for an item then the "buy it now" feature is good to use.

And once an auction ends I don't think it is acceptable under any circumstances to put in a better offer no matter what!

These are just my thoughts.

[ June 19, 2002, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

#3 Brigitte

Brigitte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 19 June 2002 - 05:17 PM

I think it's not fair to end an auction earlier. Maybe a not all buyers who might be interested in an item watch eBay every day and then have no possibility to bid on that item. also upon my opinion the highest price can only be reached when an auction ends at it's proper time as some overbidden buyers might want to bid again just before the auction ends.
Take care and have a great day

Brigitte

#4 Janice Holton

Janice Holton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 05:59 PM

The whole idea about asking sellers to end auctions early doesn't sit quite right with me. It's like saying to a seller , "you might be able to get more for this but I want to buy it now before the price gets too high!" If it is a knowledgable seller who knows what they are doing and knows what they need to make on an item, I guess it's their loss if they want to cut out potential bidders; but if it's someone who doesn't have a clue what they have, that's not fair and taking advantage (unless they offered the Buy it Now feature). The whole idea behind an auction is to let the marketplace set the price with competitive bidding. If you take away the bidding it's not an auction anymore. I don't think you should shop at an auction if you don't want to participate in bidding. Does that make sense?

#5 Guest_cracklinandsweet_*

Guest_cracklinandsweet_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2002 - 12:21 AM

Yes, I agree with all of you and thank you for your replies. It kind of irked me that she asked, like she was sneaking around. And I was surprised that ebay didn't say it was against the rules! It seems, as you say, quite contrary to the entire point of auctioning something in the first place. It's always tempting to wonder just how much more than the reserve someone is willing to pay, but if that's all we make it's certainly enough. Of course, it's also so much fun to see what happens in the final moments 8). Thanks again.

#6 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 02 July 2002 - 03:11 PM

What's the deal with the 13 auctions that just ended early?? I was watching most all of the auctions especially the bee.
Like I said before, I don't think it's fair to end an auction early when other bidders are involved. [Mad]

#7 Nata

Nata

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 July 2002 - 08:22 PM

The seller who ended auctions early had problems with Ebay, he was stealing pictures and buyers from other sellers. I heard somebody complain about it. I don't know who ended auction seller or Ebay.

#8 Colette

Colette

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 July 2002 - 08:28 PM

Thanks for the information.
I was really confused about what happened with my bid.

#9 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 12:55 PM

The seller ended all his auctions early because a bidder requested he do so for a set price. I know this for a fact because I emailed him about it and he told me.

#10 marie5

marie5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 03:00 PM

I notice today the same seller has 4 more up for bid.

#11 EsteeMania

EsteeMania

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 July 2002 - 10:56 PM

If someone could private email me who this seller is that would be great so that I could avoid them. Thanks !

#12 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 08 July 2002 - 11:06 PM

Good news! The said seller is now unregistered. I accidently bid on their pear solid....luckily, ebay ended all their auctions today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users