• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 02:41 PM

The only problem with that is if Harrods sends it it is insured and you have some protection.
Money back if not recieved in good condition, or not recieved at all. And that does happen. We sent back the palace and got a refund.

I believe , and please correct me if wrong, if a nice freind in London sent it you would have to have some kind of insurance, custom forms etc. and the cost of the shipping might be a lot higher. Not to menton the trouble it would be for the friend to buy it , pack it , post it etc.
That's a lot to ask.

And if you sent it back the friend would then have to take it back to Harrods.

Even thought about sending someone over to buy but you still have a customs problem if they bought very many and not worth it unless they could buy a lot. I think the limit is $400.

Ann

[ June 26, 2003, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: ann and ken ]

#17 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 03:44 PM

Well, the friend(s) might not mind helping out now and then, but you do not get your VAT discount if the friend(s) do.

So you must take that into consideration as I believe it is 17 percent. Not sure!

Other friends in the States might be able to put you on the right course there, as they would know!

Parcels are normally registered but adjustments have to be made for receiving your end! [Wink] [Wink]

Jacky

#18 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 03:49 PM

Thanks,

I forgot about the vat tax. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Ann

#19 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 04:47 PM

VAT is 17.5%

It is a case of swings and roundabouts I think.

Nancy

#20 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 06:09 PM

Swings and roundabouts???????????? [Puzzled]

Ann

#21 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 09:35 PM

I'm with you Ann [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

#22 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 09:56 PM

Poor Teddy looks like he's going to "pop" his toggles and fly around the room backwards!

Nancy..."swings and roundabouts?" I love it...what does it mean?????????? [Wink]

#23 Aussie Girl

Aussie Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 11:28 PM

There is a saying 'what doesn't happen on the swing will happen on the roundabout'. Nancy was referring to the U.K. V.A.T of 17.5%. If the solid is purchased in the U.K. by a friend then posted out of the country you would have to pay the V.A.T. but if it was ordered by telephone & posted out of the country by Harrods (with all the possible problems that have been mentioned) you would not be charged the V.A.T. So one would have to weigh up one way against another.

Am I right Nancy? Is it perhaps a Scottish saying - my maternal grandparents were Scottish & the saying is very familiar to me! [Wink] [Wink]

Karen

#24 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 04:17 AM

I am sure Nancy won't mind my saying that this is an English expression too. In other words, what you lose on the swings you gain on the roundabouts! So lose the VAT but gain in other ways. Or gain VAT and lose other ways!!! [Confused] [Confused]

Absolutely right!

Jacky

[ June 27, 2003, 05:12 AM: Message edited by: Jacqueline ]

#25 Fee

Fee

Fee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 08:41 PM

Yes I am considering up the swings and roundabouts for this years Harrods solids!
What I saved on VAT I spent on the expensive courier service and customs duty when they got here. I may have to try the other way this year to see if there is any benefit. [Roll Eyes]
I have a feeling it will be six of one and half a dozen of the other! [New Laugh]
(but you never know it could turn out to be half a baker's dozen in my favour! [Silly] [New Laugh] )

#26 Mini

Mini

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 June 2003 - 12:24 AM

I agree with Fee, what you save on VAT you'd spend on the expensive courier service used by Harrods. We weren't given the choice of using the cheaper 'registered airmail'. And beware if you have to send anything back for exchange or refund. I sent my 'Palace' back for exchange because one of the crystals was missing. I sent it back using the trackable courier service offered by the local post office which promised faster delivery in 3 days. The parcel was refused by Harrods and sent back to me because all packages must go through the Harrods warehouse before being redistributed to the various departments concerned. I spoke to the sales several times and eventually went up to the Manageress of the Perfumery Department who still insisted at the time that she didn't know why my package was not accepted. The UK post office by default sent all 'Harrods' packages to the warehouse but the courier service of course would not do the same since as far as they're concerned they have delivered it to the correct address ...... Knightsbridge. I only wish the sales rep. would give me the address of the warehouse and not the store address. In the end I had to send it back a second time...by ordinary registered mail! [Frown]

#27 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 28 June 2003 - 11:56 PM

Hi Everyone, sorry about the confusion about my 'swings and roundabouts' comment. Yes, it does mean what you gain on the swings you lose on the roundabouts. Thanks to all who explained this for me. This can be a very taxing hobby. (sorry for the pun) I'm going to make up a table to see if I am better ordering my new Fall solids in Canada or the US. It isn't an exact science as exchange rates change daily so once I make my decision I'll have to hope there isn't too much difference in currency to make it more expensive for me. Again, tax differs from state to state! Oh well, another saying over here is "If you don't use it, you lose it". (This refers to using your brain!)

Nancy

[ June 28, 2003, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: Nancy ]

#28 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 28 June 2003 - 03:35 PM

Hi Nancy,

That's not what it refers to here. [New Laugh] [New Laugh] [New Laugh] [New Laugh]

Ann

#29 Lauderlover

Lauderlover

Lauderlover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 28 June 2003 - 06:02 PM

Ann & Ken...you two crack me up! [New Laugh] [Big Grin] [New Laugh] [Big Grin] [New Laugh] [Big Grin] [New Laugh] [Big Grin]

#30 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 06:47 AM

Hi Ann, I'm afraid to ask, maybe you should send me a private message telling me what it refers to over there! I might use it next time I'm in the US and get myself into bother! I seem to make a habit of opening my mouth and putting my foot right in there!
By the way, I love the fact you're using the Locomotive.

Nancy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users