• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#61 Mini

Mini

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 02:39 AM

Thanks for the lovely photos Lisa & Ron, am definitely going to have a hard time deciding what to get this year. Wouldn't it be nice if EL could produce a little pamphlet showing all the new solids & powder compacts for solid collectors. At least we get to take out the little book to have a look and enjoy them even though we can't own them all! [Smile]

#62 luscious11@aol.com

luscious11@aol.com

Pamela

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 10:33 AM

Ron:

The pics are wonderful!!!! I love them all of course!!!
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

#63 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 10:49 AM

Mini,

I agree with you 100% about the pamphlet (or just a sheet of paper with all the solids with prices) this is something they should do every year for us collectors. [Puzzled]

[ May 21, 2003, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

#64 Maeuschen

Maeuschen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 12:19 PM

Hi all !
Whats about the Estee Lauder christmas catalog ?
Is it not available in the USA ?
In germany you can get in the special perfume shops or from Estee Lauder germany directly the christmas catalog each year. It contains the solid perfumes wich are current available, powder boxes and special perfume boxes only for christmas time. In germany we can buy not all perfume boxes especially the ones filled with dazzling silver or gold because this fragrances are not available here.
Harrods has a special catalog too for christmas I know .

Greetings !

Michaela

#65 solidcollector

solidcollector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 02:22 PM

Hi!
Thanks for all the pics! [Silly] They are wonderful! I got a black and white picture of them from a lady that I buy them from and thought I would pass this info on. It said when they would start to ship them out to retailers and the supposed limited number of each one. Here is the breakdown:
Stagecoach - July 15th 550 total units
Monkey - July 15th 800 total units
Rollercoaster - July 15th 650 total units
Peacock - July 15th 1200 total units
Fan - July 15th 800 total units
Junk - Sept.2 700 total units
Marlin - Sept 2 600 total units
Taj Mahal Sept. 2 700 total units
San Francisco Trolley Sept.2 500 total units

Hope this helps! I still can't decide which ones I want to purchase!! Looks like there will be plenty of Peacocks!
Gayla [Big Grin]

[ May 21, 2003, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

#66 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 04:53 PM

solidcollector: Wonderful information!!! Thanks so much.

#67 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 07:04 PM

I sure hope that information is correct.
Lets hope they break the molds so the stores cannot order any more. [Wink]
That way we will have a nice collectable and not a bunch of beany babies [Big Grin]

#68 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 08:47 PM

Ron,

Well put!!

#69 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 10:34 PM

Just remember- that is only the first shipment.

We are always lead to believe that they will be limited and they usually are not. The stores do not get them all at once and it causes panic buying. Does EL do this on purpose???

Hope I am wrong this time but we were also told at convention the total made was 1500 for some.
Think the stagecoach and rollercoaster was limited to less.
Ron- Do you remember which ones .

Ann

[ May 21, 2003, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: ann and ken ]

#70 Debbie

Debbie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 07:16 AM

Ann and Ken,
So hardly any of these will be limited quanity, just depends on the public and the collectors choice...because last year when the giraffe came out I don't think they thought it was going to sell out, from what I have heard it sold very well. That one had large quanity. (I think) Look at the artist isle, that was hard to get. Do you know how many came out in that style? I always try to buy the ones I love and sometimes I get lucky.

Seems like They put out alot of the lower priced ones, but then again the higher priced ones have alot of quanity.
Does anyone know how many they usually put out a year? And have they started to produce more, just like the beanies?
I really think we are a small group that collect these because of the PRICE $$$. Most all of my friends never heard of these solids. Just the powders.

I started to panic about not attending the convention, and not being able to purchase the palm tree. Then I thought about all the revenue $$$ [Big Grin] [Big Grin] they would of lost, so I said the Las Vegas store will have some. I waited and she called to say it was shipped off. [Smile] [Smile] [Razz]

If they all sold out they would not have them at the cosmetic stores.
In my opinion just by looking at the numbers of quanity the marlin and the trolly (by the looks of the list) seems to be the best to buy. I'm murely guessing.

I'm still buying what I like with these prices. [Razz] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

#71 klassicguy1

klassicguy1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 07:47 AM

I asked the Estee Lauder Rep who spoke at the convention the specific question about limited quantities. I expressed my opinion that a limited number should be made - the actual number disclosed - and that once sold out, that should be it. We purchase these as collectables as well as investment in the long run, and it would be in Estee's best interest as well since we would know that more and more would not be coming out. I specifically mentioned about the Jay Strongwater solids last year. Mr. Strongwater specifically stated at the signing event I attended that the first issue sold out and they were going to produce another run - and now you see those solids in every Saks store.

The rep indicated that she was unaware of any second runs and would be surprised since the profit margin was low on each solid........which I find hard to believe. I do think Estee is starting to take notice of collectors and we should benefit in the long run. But, the best plan is to buy what you like and enjoy and hope for the best in the long run.

#72 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 07:57 AM

Hi Debbie,

All we know for fact(changes without notice)is that every year we are told that they will be limited and they will sell out. But they end up in the Cosmetic Stores at the years end (or at the wharehouse sale)
The Cosmetic Stores in Fla. had just about every solid that has come out in the last two years.

Last year the Jay Strongwaters were limited to 500 and after they sold out they reissued 500 more. Those will be in your Cosmetic Stores soon.
This year (we are told) Strongwaters will be 1500 to start.

Harrods seem to stick with what they first order but that might change if they sell well.

Our advise would be to buy what you really like. The first time we think there will be more there probably won't be.

We are also told that this year the stores will receive the first shipment(more to follow) solids at the same time . No more West coast vs. East coast. [Big Grin]

EL changes prices, the look, and how many are made after we are given imformation. Palm Tree is a good example.

Does anyone out there remember a solid that has come out in the last couple of years that was truly limited??? Las Vegas & Harrods exclusives being the exception.

Disclaimer- As with any imformation coming from EL it is subject to change without notice.

Ann

#73 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 08:00 AM

Hi Woody,

Should have read your message before I posted. [Big Grin]
You stated it much better. [Big Grin]

The 12 year old reps. from NYC they send out are very pretty but don't know much about the solids. Meow.

Ann

[ May 22, 2003, 08:57 AM: Message edited by: ann and ken ]

#74 klassicguy1

klassicguy1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 08:40 AM

[New Laugh]

I couldn't have said it better......Estee needs to hire one of us "regular guys" who can represent both the company and the collector interests. It would benefit them in the long run...

#75 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 09:08 AM

Maybe they could put up a screen and have the pretty young things in front and we could pass them the answers to questions.

Still not happy they would not take questions from the peanut gallery(crowd).
Only in private .

Ann

[ May 22, 2003, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: ann and ken ]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users