42 replies to this topic

#16 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 04:23 PM

Ken,

How many trains are in your collection? Does collecting trains also include all the display scenes?
[Wink]

#17 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 07:03 PM

Hi Lisa ,

The number of Ken's trains is a carefully guarded secret. I am not suppose to know about the thousands of cars and engines he has in his "train " room. Like I can't count. [New Laugh] [New Laugh] [New Laugh]

When he comes in tonight I will certainly ask him to post the number for you . [New Laugh] [New Laugh] [New Laugh]

It will be good therapy.

I do steal some of his scenery for my displays. When we took photos for the book I had to take them outside so I used the train layout sky scenery for the backdrop. In the Carnival Fun photo on page 9 the little concession stands are HO gauge buildings , the train and clowns are also HO scale and the scene behind them is N scale circus scenery.
In the members photos section you an see how I used them in a small tabletop case.

Ann

[ June 22, 2003, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: ann and ken ]

#18 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 07:45 PM

Hi Lisa,

1700 freight cars.
230 passenger cars.
380 engines.

Ken

#19 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 09:38 PM

[Eek!] Wow [Eek!]
Ken,

Sounds like an amazing collection, are some of the trains set up around the house? [Big Grin]

#20 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 09:52 PM

What's amazing is that he knew how many he had without counting them. [Eek!] [Eek!]

I would have to count my solids to know for sure. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

And yes he has a room just for trains and has a 8'by 6' layout plus the n-scale club has a big club house and they have a giant layout and the guys( and one lady) meet every Wed. night and they run their trains.

Ann

#21 mimi

mimi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 10:30 PM

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

I am really impressed! Thanks for sharing this with us. I know nothing about trains except that I was overjoyed [Big Grin] when my Mother and I would take the train to Houston in the fifties to see my Aunt!!

Best to Everyone...

Mimi

#22 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 07:52 AM

Hi Mimi,

Do you remember if it was the Rock Island , Katy or the Santa Fe??

4 or 5 top railroads had lines that ran from Dallas to houston in the 50's. Now they are a thing of the past .

We also collect the china , silver ,and other stuff from the early 1890's to the 50's from these "Fallen Flags". Some are very elegant.

Not sure if anyone noticed in Fla. but our car tag is Santa Fe.

Santa Fe and others use to give female passengers vials of perfume. Have never found a RR solid perfume but still looking.

Ken

#23 mimi

mimi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 03:30 PM

Hi Ken,

I remember well! It was the Katy. My Uncle (here in Dallas,) worked for the Katy for 40yrs. I spent many happy hours looking at his train memorabilia, which his son now owns and proudly displays.

On my first train trip to Houston (I was six and toothless), the porter began singing "All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth". [Big Grin] He made me laugh. [New Laugh] [New Laugh] It was the first of several joyful summer trips to Houston!

Thanks for the Memories...

Mimi (a.k.a. Bob Hope) [Smile]

#24 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 03:55 PM

Double WOW from me! [Eek!] That is some collection Ken. Do you keep them in boxes while not in use or are they all on display? I think you are both lucky in that you both like collecting and therefore respect each others need to collect. A friend of mine collects watches and I remember asking him how he displayed them. Turns out his wife thought he spent too much money on his collection and he had a lot of his collection in a box under the floorboards of his house. [Cry] [Cry] I was dumbfounded and asked him what if he was struck by a bus, she'd never know they were there and they would be lost forever. He said it'd be too late for him to worry if that did happen. My husband doesn't really bother about my collection but even if he did I don't think I'd hide them away. Can you imagine it - having to wait until he's out of the house then lift the floorboards to see your collection. No way! [Mad]
It's sad isn't it but I guess we can't all be made the same. I guess there are people out there who think we are mad. Who cares! I'll keep collecting because I love them and (at the moment) I can afford them.

Nancy

#25 Liliane

Liliane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 01:45 AM

[Eek!] Ken - that is really enormous!!! [Eek!]

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] I considered myself, how that is, if you ever would move - my imaginative power is not enough!!! That appears nearly like a task of life; so - inpossibly! [New Laugh] [New Laugh]

[Smile] Have a wonderful day [Smile]

#26 Uma

Uma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 07:24 AM

Hello Nancy,
I think the same than you. Iwould never hide my solid collection.
In my relationship some say "O what a expensive Hobby,ItĄs crazy! [Suspicious]
But it doesnĄt matter to me;Ihave another 203(?)collectors,who share this Hobby with me [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
By the way;I like your letters,you write so funny [Smile]
Have a nice day,Uma

#27 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 08:47 AM

Ken keeps some on display and some in their clear plastic boxes.

He has always ran(played with) his trains here at home and at the club house and enjoys them so much so it was a natural thing for me when I started collecting solids to do the same thing.

He does keep some mint in box but when he does that he has two, one to play with and one to store away. And I do the same with the solids.

All the RR people seem to know each other(shows, chat clubs, conventions etc.) And they share their love for trains just like we do for our solids.

MIMI- He has probably seen your uncle's son at an event in Houston . The RR folks meet in Houston a lot.
And Katy is one of the most popular RR to collect. Their Bluebonnet pattern china is very sought after. And the Alamo service plates.

Yes, our RR china is displayed also.

Ann

#28 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 08:51 AM

Hi Liliane,

If we start packing now we can move when Ken retires in 4 years. [Eek!] [Eek!]

Our thoughts are with you and hope your dad is better.

Ann & Ken

#29 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 02:39 PM

Hi Ann and Ken, you would cause a world shortage of bubble wrap and tissue paper!!! [New Laugh] [New Laugh]

Nancy

#30 Liliane

Liliane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 04:12 PM

Hi Ann and Ken

Thanks a lot for your thoughts - no, my Dad is not realy feeling better - the opposite.

Take care - so long,

Liliane

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users