• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 05:18 PM

Some of you may have noticed a seller on ebay that has been using images from this site to sell their solids. This seller has before taken images off this site without my permission. I did email the seller to ask him to please remove the images but on three different occasions the seller ignored my requests.

I also reported the seller to ebay several times but ebay is giving me all kinds of excuses as to why the images were not removed.

I right now am very frustrated with ebay and their VERO program. [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

[ May 26, 2003, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

#2 Nicki169

Nicki169

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 08:24 PM

Lisa,
How are you able to tell the images came from your database? What should I be looking for?

Barb

#3 Aussie Girl

Aussie Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 08:30 PM

Lisa - is it possible to identify this person or the solids so we, on this site anyway, can avoid bidding on them - perhaps lack of sales or price will speak louder than words.

Karen [Eek!] [Eek!]

#4 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 08:46 PM

Hi Lisa,
That really burns me up [Mad] that someone would be so low. You have really fine high quality photos. I downloaded a watermark program, but could figure out how to use it. I know Jack will come up with something to foil the rat. [Big Grin] Maybe just his monogram very small in the corner.
You know I thought once I notice your photo, but thought no way. Hope the remedy is soon. Too bad ebay won't step up to the plate. Ebay isn't that pig latin [Confused] [Puzzled]
Bye,KK

[ May 26, 2003, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: KK ]

#5 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 09:52 PM

The seller is watermag2000

I am very familiar with all the images on this site so I always recognize them.

This seller even mentioned this site in his auctions, I felt that he was being deceptive in making it look like it was his "collectors site"

We now have started watermarking all the images.

#6 Lauderlover

Lauderlover

Lauderlover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 10:38 PM

Ebay seems to come up with any excuse they can to avoid lifting a finger! I recently was threatened by someone I purchased a compact from and I even forwarded Ebay the email they sent me...threatening to hurt me...they said they couldn't do anything because he did not forward the message through Ebay's email system! How about that! [Roll Eyes]

#7 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 10:44 PM

Sounds about right from ebay, they really are not doing enough to prevent fraud, etc.

I just got a email from VERO stating that all the auctions from this seller were removed. Too bad they all ended yesterday. [Embarrassed]

#8 Jack

Jack

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 11:01 PM

LauderLover, if anyone ever threatens you via email you should give it to the police. That's a crime and the police will follow up on that sort of thing.

Some people think the anonymous nature of the net gives them the right to say and do whatever they please. Laws still apply!

#9 Lauderlover

Lauderlover

Lauderlover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 11:07 PM

I know! I'm eventually going to report it...as soon as I can take time out and go down to the police station. It's just one big hassle and Ebay certainly doesn't go out of their way to take care of their good customers...that's why your story didn't stun me at all! [New Laugh]

#10 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 01:01 AM

Lisa and Lauderlover, sorry you have ebay trouble. I agree that ebay doesn't do enough. In the past, ebay would respond to complaints and do a follow-up. Now they're lazy or don't care. I complained about a few auctions, but I don't even receive a response anymore.

VERO doesn't work well with individuals or small business. They seem to jump whenever a large company worth big bucks complain. Best example is Chanel and Louis Vuitton. They sometimes shut down auctions that sell authentic products for no reason...and don't bother contacting the seller to disscus the matter! [Mad] I hear that Chanel wanted to prevent people from listing. [Puzzled] VERO sucks.

Threatening emails are too much. That person needs a cop to pay them a surprise visit.

#11 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 02:17 AM

Hello Everyone,

I haven't as yet put anything on Ebay. The main reason is the negativity in feedback and I am quite wary. Nevertheless, many of you use Ebay with good results as I sometimes receive messages that another Collector is selling this or that particular item. Great if it works out without complications! [Wink]

Personally, I prefer to follow up leads on this site and if another Collector would like what I have to exchange or sell, they can contact me direct. Then, if more than one person is interested, I point this out unless, of course, I have already committed to the first response.

At least one has a better idea of the person you are in contact with and I feel it is more personal and a safer proposition.

These are my thoughts although I should imagine the involvement in an auction can be very exciting! Sofar I am avoiding that addiction (for the moment anyway)!!!

Jacky [Wink]

#12 Liliane

Liliane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 04:35 AM

Hi Lisa and Jack

[Mad] I feel sorry about what I read here [Mad]

[Smile] To solve this problem "once and for all" I see only one simple solution/possibility [Smile]

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] Close the "Database" for NOT members! If then a member abuses the pictures - eject her/him!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Have a great day!!!

#13 Maeuschen

Maeuschen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 07:16 AM

Hi Liliane !
I think thats a great idea.
We had problems too with our website. My husbands hobby is horse riding and we have a great website with a lot of nice pictures and animated gifs.
Some of the users link directly from our page and this is not allowed because of the traffic that is counted than to our site. We tell all people they can use our pictures but they must put them on there own server !!!
We have a very effective method now to shame those people [Big Grin] . Every picture has a name - I think Jack is nowing what I'm talking about.
When someone has taken a picture we are changing the ID from this picture and for the old ID we are taking a special "picture" we had made.
On some ebay sites you could read now " I'm a picture thief, this picture was originally from homepage www.gif-galaxy.de ". I can tell you that there was a lot of trouble for this people [Big Grin] .
A little work but a lot of fun [Wink] .
Maybe a good tip for you Jack.

Greetings !

Michaela

[ May 27, 2003, 08:11 AM: Message edited by: Maeuschen ]

#14 Lauderlover

Lauderlover

Lauderlover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 09:37 AM

Wow Michaela, I'm impressed! That oughta show 'em! [New Laugh]

#15 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 09:53 AM

That is great Michaela!!

We were unable to do that because all the sellers so far have not been hotlinking from our server.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users