Photo

What made you start collecting Estee Lauder Solids?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 EsteeMania

EsteeMania

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 April 2002 - 05:31 PM

Hi There - Just wondering how everyone got started? I was always searching for perfume dresser sets on Ebay and found the EL Vanity perfume [Big Grin] compact. That little treasure hooked me and my kids and we are really having fun building our colletion.

#2 Judith Anne

Judith Anne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 April 2002 - 06:02 PM

Montreal.Canada.
As I've told Lisa, I was collecting compacts. About 6 years ago, I thought I'd be really clever(and ahead of everyone else) and start collecting the solid perfume holders after I found one at a flea market. Little did I know but Roselyn Gerson's Vintage Contemporary Purse Accessories book was already out, and it has a nice section on solids.
I collected quite a bunch of the older solids and then for some reason decided to sell them. I am a retired teacher turned collectibles dealer. My business found me always buying to sell. SUDDENLY, I had an urge to have a collection of my own again. I quickly snatched back any unsold solids!! Now, I buy solids for ME.
The new EL's are beautiful but not in my price range. I concentrate on finding "bargains" from the 70's and 80's when it comes to EL solids and I love the Max Factor solids, as well.
I want to take this opportunity to thank Lisa for this user friendly web site, which she works hard to maintain and which brings collectors from around the world together. What fun!

#3 Sylvia Ray

Sylvia Ray

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 April 2002 - 11:55 PM

I started collecting just as a coincidence when two different people bought me solids for Christmas one year. I'm glad it worked out that way though!

#4 Lauderlover

Lauderlover

Lauderlover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 15 April 2002 - 03:55 PM

I started collecting Estee Lauder Solid Perfumes thanks to Avon and a 2nd grade teacher! In the early seventies, Avon made solid perfume pendents. I had the red apple with a green worm poking through it. I brought it to class one day and the teacher confisicated it from me for the whole year and I NEVER got it back! (LOL). About two years ago, I decided to go searching for the Avon solid perfume pendent on Ebay. I fount it, along with many others, and that's how I started collecting Estee Lauder solids!!! All thanks to my 2nd grade teacher and Avon!!

#5 Ashley

Ashley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 07:38 AM

I started many years ago collecting the E.L. Solids - my first was a silver heart back in 1987 (can't remember scent), but sadly I no longer have it either. But I now have 20 and have sold many that I have not truly loved as much as the ones I now have in my collection. Thanks for letting us know what is out this coming year, as so many people including counter staff will NOT tell you. I am visiting the States this year and will be collecting personally there, as well as in Holland (where I live) and from my home country England too - can't wait to see the Harrods Building! Have a great weekend.

#6 luscious11@aol.com

luscious11@aol.com

Pamela

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 05 May 2002 - 01:32 PM

Hi Everyone: I mentioned to Lisa that I got started over ten years ago (12) with lauder solids and compacts and have been collecting since! I have approximately 400 and have them displayed in a curio cabinet at my home in upstate New York. My children and husband always thought I was crazy until they realized what they go for on ebay! I have displayed some in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida last year at Neiman Marcus's Museum show and enjoyed meeting other collectors as well as Lauder execs. and Bob Conte (design artist). I have also had the pleasure of dealing with the many estee lauder associates across the country when searching for that special solid or powder compact that I did not have! I have been thinking about selling my collection but my daughter is flipping out over the thought of it!!!
This web site is a great idea and I hope to make some new friends that enjoy collecting lauder solids as much as I have! I never collected anything else in my life - thank God because my husband would probably have left me by now!!!
It's become quite an expense, having to have every one they make, ya know???!!!!
Would love to hear from all of you out there who share the same interest!!! Take care and have a great day!!!
Regards, Pamela

#7 luscious11@aol.com

luscious11@aol.com

Pamela

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 05 May 2002 - 01:32 PM

Hi Everyone: I mentioned to Lisa that I got started over ten years ago (12) with lauder solids and compacts and have been collecting since! I have approximately 400 and have them displayed in a curio cabinet at my home in upstate New York. My children and husband always thought I was crazy until they realized what they go for on ebay! I have displayed some in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida last year at Neiman Marcus's Museum show and enjoyed meeting other collectors as well as Lauder execs. and Bob Conte (design artist). I have also had the pleasure of dealing with the many estee lauder associates across the country when searching for that special solid or powder compact that I did not have! I have been thinking about selling my collection but my daughter is flipping out over the thought of it!!!
This web site is a great idea and I hope to make some new friends that enjoy collecting lauder solids as much as I have! I never collected anything else in my life - thank God because my husband would probably have left me by now!!!
It's become quite an expense, having to have every one they make, ya know???!!!!
Would love to hear from all of you out there who share the same interest!!! Take care and have a great day!!!
Regards, Pamela

#8 marie5

marie5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 11 May 2002 - 03:06 PM

I just started collecting EL in April after seeing A & E Collectibles show recommending it. I love the different figurines! I have used up my tax refund on buying some.

#9 april

april

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 May 2002 - 11:02 PM

Hi everyone, I started collecting this year and I'm absolutely hooked! Mainly I collect vintage commercial perfume bottles and really didn't think to much about the solids.Then I watched the A&E collectable show which showed some of the beautiful E.L. Solids and that was it for me.It's hard to find places on the internet that are selling E.L. Solids so I'm at E Bay with everyone else! [Smile]

#10 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 23 May 2002 - 12:36 AM

I started collecting EL solids because of boredom. My main collection for the past 10 years was perfume minis. I spent too much money when I first started ebay in 1999. Since then, sellers flooded the market and values declined. I have a rotating collection, so if resell, I loose money 95% of the time. Needless to say, I felt I was throwing money away. I still collect minis, but not as often.

It was summer 2001 and I wanted new perfume items for my collection. Minis were boring. Solids appeared in my ebay searches again. Prices were lower than in Decemeber 2000. I said what the heck. So, I bought the Rocking Horse at a great price! It was more beautiful in person. I was hooked.

#11 solidcollector

solidcollector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 23 May 2002 - 03:32 PM

Lisa,
I started collecting solids about 10 or 12 years ago. I stumbled on to them at Dunlaps in Lubbock, TX. I just bought the ones that I liked. One or two a year. I thought they were so neat. I love little miniatures, so these were perfect for me. I didn't realize that Neiman and Saks sold exclusives until the carousel came out. I was lucky and purchased that one for the original price! I wish I would have started collecting sooner.....like in the 70's and 80's, but I was still in high school and college in the early eighties and didn't know they existed. I would have been collecting them, had I known! So now I'm trying to catch up! I have purchased some of the older ones on Ebay and am very addicted! I prefer the figural ones! Even though I have some of the flat older ones! I am looking forward to the 2002 ones and am trying to decide which ones I can afford!! Thanks again for an awesome sight!
Gayla

#12 Liliane

Liliane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 02 July 2002 - 03:36 PM

Hello solidfriends

I joined the club a week ago. I've been collecting these pieces of splendour since about ten years - I started collecting before I knew anyone sharing my passion. At that time it was mutch easier and less expensive to find solids. Some days ago I wan my first E.L. solid on an eBey auction.

Sorry, unfortunately my english is not very well - my homeland is the Germen speaking part of Switzerland. Nevertheless I hope we will comunicate well.

I wish all of you a beautiful week, Liliane

#13 Colette

Colette

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 July 2002 - 08:40 PM

I started collecting perfume bottles about 10 years ago. My passion was Czechoslovakian bottles from the 20s-30s. However, it began to get harder and harder to find bottles that I could afford so I decided to collect minis. Then I happened to find a few perfume solids at an antique mall for $4.00 each. I got a pearl and rhinestone egg (although later I found out that this may be a pill box, the Max Factor deer, Fuller Brush fish and the Golden rope by Estee Lauder (if I see this item on Ebay one more time I think I will scream, doesn't everyone have this piece (smile) Anyway, I was trying not to collect one more thing but I couldn't resist they were so adorable. Now like everyone else, I'm hooked. I don't even buy Czech bottles anymore---all extra money goes to purchasing solids. Also my family thinks that I am crazy but I'm single so no one really knows how much I spend on these treasures. I use to buy all of the full-distribution ones, but now some of them look really cheap. Therefore, I always get the cameo and maybe one other. I can't afford to buy the ones from Neiman and Sak's so I let others buy them for me as Christmas gifts---but lately I have been feeling guilty about how much they are spending. So I don't ask for them as gifts anymore, I just enjoy these items through E-bay.
Lisa thanks for a great site. It's so nice to have a place to talk about solids.

[ July 02, 2002, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: colette ]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users