• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#31 Liliane

Liliane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 12:46 PM

The convention approaches [Eek!] [Eek!] !

Maggi, I'm also jealous, because I can't be in Orlando [Cry] [Cry] . Above all, it would be beautifully to meet all collecting friends.

I wish much pleasure to all the lucky ones in Orlando and a large portion luck that they can bring perhaps also a long desired solid with home. We remaineded at home expect your detailed report [Big Grin] [New Laugh] [Big Grin] [New Laugh] !!!

#32 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 08:39 PM

Hello everyone,

Getting ready for the convention this weekend, Jack and I are looking forward to it.

Let's all plan on meeting during the poolside mixer from 4-5, does that sound good to everyone?? [Confused]

We should be just getting in around that time.
[Big Grin]

We are working on getting a laptop to bring to provide updates because Jack just found out that his laptop is unrepairable [Cry] (it got squished in our luggage when we went on the cruise) [Frown]

Will see you there!! [Cool]

#33 Debbie

Debbie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 07:08 PM

Lisa, that sounds wonderful.......
Have a great time, please hurry back to lets us all know how it went... [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]
Debbie

#34 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 08:13 PM

I was at Neimans tonight in Orlando. They had the 2003 solids on display. [Big Grin] I think they are better done then the last few years. Of course everyone will have their opinion. I did not have my hands on them. I think the Taj Majal is the best. the peacock, fan, and monkey are nice. The stage coach is not my style but looks very nice.
I just wish I would have had my digital camera with me. [Frown] Oh well I will have it at convention. [Smile]

#35 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 18 May 2003 - 09:43 PM

An overview of the IPBA convention;

Jack & I had a great time at the convention. The highlight was meeting everyone from this site that attended. They include: Lenore, Woody, Ann & Ken, Nancy, Karen, Jackie, Ron, Lorraine, Angela, Micky, Carolyn, Phyllis and Carole (I think that I got everyone- so sorry if I missed anyone)

I can't say enough just how nice everyone is. I also meet several new people and hopefully some new members for this site.

Upon arriving and checking in we got a very warm welcome from other IPBA members informing us of all the days events.

Unfortunatley Jack and I were not able to get to the convention until Friday afternoon so we missed the collectors market where people set up items on tables and sell. I heard there were several great solids for sale even older ones still in the box.

We also missed out on the palm tree
[Frown] we were not aware that the solids had to be ordered by Thursday so we missed out! Not to worry though they will be available through the Las Vegas store soon.

We were able to leave our names and room #'s on a bulletin board where other members were able to contact one another and come for a visit and also list what they were offering for sale.

We attended the poolside mixer (which wasn't at the pool!) where I intended to meet up with everyone from the site. I didn't see anyone I already met last year from the Vegas show and really didn't know what anyone else looked like! [Puzzled]
Micky from the NY store recognized me and pointed Klassicguy out to me so we all chatted until the mixer ended.

Next was the auction held by Monsen & Baer. I was not at all familiar with the different perfume bottles but was soon getting an idea of the rarity and beauty of all the bottles. The action was very interesting,there were three Lauder solids auctioned off they were the Bubbly, going for $50 the Peach for $160 and the Snowman for $130. One perfume bottle was auctioned for $27,000!! [Eek!] And you thought collecting solids was expensive! [New Laugh]

Later that evening we had some drinks at the bar with Woody, Troy, Micky and some other new IPBA friends.

On Saturday we attended the luncheon and IPBA meeting lunch and conversation was delightful with Angela and KK, you are both great. I learned what a close knit family all IPBA members are, awards were presented and next years board members announced.

The exhibition sale opened after lunch where solid searching began (since I missed this event on Thursday and Friday I knew I missed the good stuff) I enjoyed looking at the exibition cases where Ron had his georgous DeVilbiss bottles displayed and Ann & Ken had their wonderful solid scenes. As always wonderful!! I did not leave empty handed and purchased the Cherry Pie.

Later that day I attended a presentation on Estee Lauder solid perfumes where we saw slides of the new solids as well as the actual new Jay Strongwater series of solids.

We ended the evening with Nancy, Angela and Lorraine. Angela, Nancy, Jack & I wandered through the hotel for the final solid search. This was great fun and I was sorry I didn't do the room sales earlier.

On Sunday Jack and I (mainly Jack) hosted a round table discussion group on building a successful website. This was where a variety of topics were held and members go from table to table listening and leaning. Some of the other topics were mini. vinaigrettes, compacts, DeVilbiss, buying and selling on eBay and several others. Jack did a great job and was able to answer a lot of questions.

All and all we had a wonderful time and again so glad to meet everyone!! Thank you to the IPBA for making us feel so welcome and for all the hard work and effort put into a wonderful convention. I am looking forward to next year's in VA!!

[Big Grin] [Wink] [Big Grin] [Wink]

#36 Brigitte

Brigitte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 18 May 2003 - 10:36 PM

Hi Lisa,

thanks for the very interesting report on the IPBA convention, you should have become a journalist. Looks like you had great fun and met many new people. What a pitty that you missed the collectors market [Frown] [Frown] maybe better for your purse [New Laugh] [New Laugh]

Take care, Brigitte

#37 Lauderlover

Lauderlover

Lauderlover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 01:18 AM

I agree with Brigitte, you should be a reporter! [Wink] Thanks for all of the new pictures and the vivid detail of the IPBA convention! Sounds like you guys had fun! I can't wait to see everyone next month in Las Vegas! At least we won't have to worry about any crocodiles ringing our door bells! [Big Grin] I'm really excited about the new solids and at the same time and worried about how I'll pay for them! I like the bank robbery idea!

#38 Maeuschen

Maeuschen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 01:47 AM

Hi Lisa !
Nice to hear that you and all the others have great fun [Smile] .
What's about the Las Vegas Showgirl ?!!! Did anyone has seen the solid in person ? Has anyone made a picture ?

Greetings !

Michaela

#39 Fee

Fee

Fee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 02:52 AM

Thanks for the run-down of events, Lisa. [Big Grin]
Sounds like everyone had a great time. Maybe one year I will make it. Not sure how I will save up when all these wonderful solids keep coming out! [New Laugh] [New Laugh] I'll keep my lotto ticket in and one year maybe I can have both!
Thanks again for all the info!! [Wink] [Big Grin] [Razz] [Silly]

#40 Martha

Martha

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 04:05 AM

Greetings, thanks for sharing the convention, Lisa. Sounds like a wonderful time was had by all. The next one is in VA. Do you know more details? Dates? City? Martha U.

#41 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 05:35 AM

Yes, we also saw the showgirl and she is still coming out. Not sure when though. I'm going to call Vegas today and find out, will let you know.

The next IPBA convention will be held in Reston, VA on April 29-May 2, 2004. [Big Grin]

Email me if anyone needs an IPBA membership application form.

#42 Jeanette

Jeanette

Jeanette

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 07:34 AM

Lisa,

Thanks for a thorough rundown on the happenings at the IPBA convention. It sounds like you all had a great time. And what a great opportunity to connect faces with names of some of the members of this site.

I'm thrilled to hear that next year's convention is in Reston, VA which is only a few miles down the road from me. [Big Grin] I have already noted the date on my calendar. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Jeanette [Smile]

#43 Patricia

Patricia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 02:35 PM

Lisa, sounds like you and other members had a wonderful time. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Patricia

#44 lauderlady

lauderlady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 02:48 PM

Wow it all sounds just sooo exciting [Eek!]
Did Ann and Ken enjoy it so much they stayed there [New Laugh] [New Laugh] as we have't heard from them yet!
Next years one falls over my birthday so I just might have to treat myself to that one! [Big Grin]
Glad you all had a good time.
We all carried on chatting regardless [Smile]
Good to have you all back!
Maggie [Cool]

#45 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 03:15 PM

Check out these photos from the IPBA
photos from the IPBA