• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 03:03 PM

Sometimes sniping is necessary because of where you live the time is so different than here in the US. Or maybe you will not be able to get to a computer as the auction ends.
One thing with sniping is you either get the item or you dont. There is no second chance. If you are using a bidding program and ebay blocks it or it does not function properly you loose the item.
Remember the old saying "When in Rome do as the Romans"

What bothers me is when you bid on an item and then the seller ends the auction early because one of our "collector friends" has made an offer the seller could not refuse thus ending all of our chances at the item. [Mad]

[ May 04, 2003, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: Ron ]

#32 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 03:44 PM

That's a very good point.

We didn't think about people in different time zones or that they were going to be away when making our comments.

Guess we were talking about folks that do it on purpose just for spite. You know they don't want it but don't want you to have it type of thing.

We could do a whole page on people that contact the seller and have them end the aution early but we have said enough today.

Ann& Ken

[ May 04, 2003, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: ann and ken ]

#33 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 05:18 PM

Hi Liliane,
I knew your ebay name from this site. I think you posted your email address and it seemed to be the same. That's how I figured it out. I'm always the last to know. Swisslady and Lauderlover and Pamela with the compacts are the others,because they showed their names on this site. The rest of you I don't have a clue. [Puzzled] [Roll Eyes] [Suspicious]
KK

#34 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 06:01 PM

Hi Liliane, anyone who knows you through this site will know you to be a good person and not someone who whould be underhand in any actions on ebay. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just remember that we Europeans are constricted by our time zones!

Nancy

#35 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 07:26 PM

Nancy and Ron: Good points about the time zones. And I'm fascinated to learn there is a service you can use to place your bid when you are unable to physically do it yourself. I did hear that if you are outbid, Ebay can call your cell phone via your email ... or something like that. Such high tech amazes me. [Eek!]

#36 Mini

Mini

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 11:05 PM

One more question. Do you have to say what your maximum bid is with the sniper service? If yes, how would that be different from putting in your maximum bid in the first place? It seems to me that with 'hot' items on auction, serious bidders don't usually wait for the last minute or seconds to put in their bids. [Confused] I've almost given up bidding on eBay, you really need to have a very deep pocket these days! [Frown] [Silly] Have a nice day!

#37 LenoreHiers

LenoreHiers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 09:04 AM

to Martha C -- A group of us in NC are going to get together during the summer to "talk perfume" in an informal way. It won't be exclusively solids, but all perfume related subjects. Would you like to join us? My husband and I have a summer home in the mountains, and the current IPBA president lives nearby also. Please email me if you are interested: LenoreHiers@cs.com.

#38 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 10:30 AM

Lenore, I would love to come! I replied to your earlier email and am not sure why you did not receive it, but will email you again. Thanks for the invitation [Big Grin] !

#39 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 03:50 PM

With regard to the service that bids for you 5 seconds before the end of the auction, if, for instance, 5 people used it, the sale would still go to the highest bidder wouldn't it? Or is there some other criteria, like when you applied for this service.
If there were 5 'hits' at the same time would that do something like crash the system or what.
I expect all you computer buffs will shoot me down here with all the technical know how.

Nancy

#40 Fee

Fee

Fee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 05:57 PM

I've never actually used one of these sniper services but I would imagine you would have to state your top dollar (otherwise it could be a pretty expensive bid) [New Laugh]
and presumably whoever gets in first, before the auction ends, with the highest bid wins.

Not sure what the order of the bids would be in the unlikely (but possible)event of a few people using the service for the same auction with the same highest bid! [Puzzled]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users