• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#16 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 07:10 PM

Sniping is people who bid at the last second or use a bidding program that allows them to bid at the last moment so no one else has time to raise their bid.

[ May 02, 2003, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: Ron ]

#17 Debbie

Debbie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 07:30 PM

KK YOU READ MY MIND
ANN AND KEN WHAT DOES IT MEAN....

DEBBIE [Smile]

#18 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 07:32 PM

KK: I was recently "sniped" and this is what happened. I was the high bidder on an item I had wanted for a long time. I was closely monitoring this auction, but 30 seconds before the auction closed, a "new bidder" came in and outbid me by $2.00. There was no time to place a higher bid. I never saw the sniper coming... and it was a fatal blow [Cry] !

I personally don't see anything wrong with competitive bidding on ebay, but sniping is underhanded and not fair [Mad] .

#19 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 08:10 PM

There is a service you can use that will automatic bid on an item 5 seconds before it ends and you don't have to be at your computer to win the auction.

They only way you can win an auction against this is if you bid very high and it can't get over you.
But you will pay dearly as most that use this service also bid very high.

Ann & Ken

#20 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 08:15 PM

Guess we need to keep our mouth shut. [Frown]
After posting this we were sniped by a member of this board.

Guess that will learn us. [Wink]

Ann & Ken

#21 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 10:47 PM

Ah...Ha! That's how they do it. I've been "sniped" probably 90% of the time, even with a high original bid. One time I made sure I was at the computer for an item I really wanted. But, I want all that I bid on. The ebay game is not easy, especially with that military time. I'm OK until noon, after that forget. Well, enough gripping. [Roll Eyes] [Cry]
This is good stuff to know [Smile]
KK

#22 Fee

Fee

Fee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 12:35 AM

Very interesting topic folks! I don't like to be outbid on an auction but I guess in reality if someone else is prepared to pay more for it than I am - it's theirs for the taking (or higher bidding) [New Laugh] .

The best way to avoid being outbid in the last few seconds is to make sure you put your proxy bid in at the amount you are prepared to pay for it that way if you are outbid you at least know you had your top dollar on the line.
[Big Grin]

I have pondered over many bidding styles and situations and have decided that there is a book to be written somewhere in there though I'm not sure how interesting a read it would be! [New Laugh] [New Laugh]

#23 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 06:15 PM

Hi Fee, I know the time difference hits me hard as I can't stay up to the end of most auctions. What about you?

Nancy

#24 Fee

Fee

Fee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 07:33 PM

I haven't had much of a problem with the time difference. On the rare time that one has finished while I'm asleep I have just put in a proxy bid and hoped for the best - usually to find I have been outbid in the morning but c'est la vie! It would have to be a rare treasure to get me up in the night! [New Laugh] I like my sleep!

#25 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 04:54 AM

Hi Fee, you like your sleep - I need mine! [New Laugh] [New Laugh]
I have tried to stay up for one or two, but, like you say C'est la vie! I am a great believer in fate. Usually this is where I say, "when one door closes, another slams in your face". [Eek!]
This time I won't. I hate to be negative when hoping for solids. I just tell myself that if someone sees it selling well, they will put theirs in for sale and, who knows, I may get it cheaper. Sometimes it does happen. Remember, the supply is not unexhaustable! (Someday, I will be able to afford a Carousel!)

Nancy

#26 Liliane

Liliane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 07:32 AM

Hi Ann and Ken

As I began to offer with auctions, I really never won a item! I was always over-bid. So I began to use the Sniper. Above all, because the auctions ended mostly at night and in the early morning hours, as I live in Europe.

I know only completely few identities of for example members of Lisa's pages. With some collectors/friends, which I know, I agree upon. Times the one, times the other one does without. Sometimes I do simply without, if I see that someone offers which I know. However, I do not have understanding, if someone only wants to drive simply the price highly - I would never do that!

When I won the princess, I was genuinly enormous surprised, how many knew, what for an identity I had. Ann - from where knew all this? I was over-accumulated up by congratulations. It made me really very happy that so many were pleased with me, but it is still incomprehensible to me, from where they knew, who I am.

Since I need the Sniper I'am also less in stress and must not sit for the auctions constantly at the PC. Thus it could also occur thad I over-bid also times someone which I know, because I entered the sniper before its requirement.

On all members one probably cannot take consideration. I hope nevertheless that I did not "snatch-away" anybody from the collector-friends something. Also I place friendship over every solid. I hope that I must have no bad conscience now.

Have a wonderful sunday, Liliane

#27 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 08:21 AM

Hi Liliane,

There are no secrets in the world of collecting of solids. [Silly] [Big Grin] [Wink] [Razz] [New Laugh]

Ann & Ken

#28 Liliane

Liliane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 08:26 AM

Hi Ann

What do you mean with thad - sorry - I do not understand?

Liliane

#29 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 11:37 PM

Hi,

I was only making a little joke.
I was trying to be funny.
Certainly didn't mean to offend. Sorry if I did.

Ann

#30 Liliane

Liliane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 01:21 PM

Hi Ann

Everything okey - no problem - did not know whether I it understood correctly. My English ...

Beautiful evening - so long!

Liliane

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users