• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 03:40 PM

From time to time, you see a Private Auction held on Ebay where the bidders' identities are protected. Does anyone know why a seller would choose to hide bidders' identities. Is there a particular reason? I have always been curious about this.

#2 lauderlady

lauderlady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 03:47 PM

Hi Martha
I've always wondered about this too!
I can't see who would benefit [Puzzled]
Maggie [Cool]

#3 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 03:57 PM

Buyers that want to resell the item and don't want anyone to know what they paid for it. [Frown]

A seller can get more bids if the bidder can be unknown.

Ann & Ken

[ May 01, 2003, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: ann and ken ]

#4 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 04:00 PM

My guess is to prevent other people from contacting the bidders for what ever reason(use your imagination) [Wink] you can think of.

#5 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 04:01 PM

Thats another good reason.
Ann

#6 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 05:16 PM

I did think that it could be that some people will not bid against people they know. I know I have held back if someone I knew put in a bid before me unless and until they pull out. Or, am I just too soft!

Nancy

#7 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 05:56 PM

Hi Nancy,

You are sweet. [Big Grin]

That's why most folks have 2 or 3 bid names, so they can bid against their friends. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Ann & Ken

#8 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 05:57 PM

Nancy
That is a very good reason!!!!!!

#9 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 06:24 PM

Seller fears....

1) other sellers offering lower prices to their bidders

2) someone emailing bidders and telling them where they could buy the item cheaper = bad for sellers profit

Here's an example from personal experience...the America's Apple story: Remember how there was only supposed to be 50 sold at the Dallas convention? I really wanted the apple and was worried that I wouldn't be able to buy it. Some enterprising seller hoarded who knows how many....sold a dozen at $250+. I normally wouldn't buy anything that expensive, but bid $300 (promised my hubby that I wouldn't buy anything else on ebay for the rest of the month). Luckily, I lost. [New Laugh] A helpfull ebay member saw the high prices and emailed me. She told me that if I waited a few months I could buy it at $150 retail. [Big Grin] I was so thankful to receive that email. Shortly after, the seller offered to sell the apple for $300 off ebay. [New Laugh] I said no thanks. I never told the seller why I was no longer interested, perhaps others have. [Confused] In case you're wondering, this seller doesn't have private auctions. Maybe you know who I'm talking about. Anyways, I'm glad I didn't get stuck paying $100+ more than retail. [New Laugh] [New Laugh] [New Laugh]

#10 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 07:17 PM

Thanks, everyone, for your insights. And, Nancy, you are very kind. I always look at who is bidding. If there are names I recognize from this site, it actually gives me more confidence in bidding on the item, especially if I'm not familiar with the seller [Wink] .

(Greyhound, are you going to tell us this seller's name? [Eek!] )

#11 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 11:09 PM

Hi Martha,
That was a great question. I wanted to know that,too. Thanks for all the answers.
Greyhound what an interesting story about the bidding. I guess I'm not tough enough when I see a name from this site bidding on ebay I stop...because I know how serious [Big Grin] you are about your solids and I just can't keep up. [Silly] [Puzzled] [Cry]
KK [Cool]

#12 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 08:30 AM

We try very hard not to bid against someone we regonize but sometimes we don't know who it is.

If we think the person is a newbie we will also back off. If new folks get discourged in buying in any collection hobby , the the whole hobby dies.
Us old folks need new folks. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

And we NEVER snipe bid. We know how bad it has made us feel and don't want to do that to others.

Ann & Ken

#13 mimi

mimi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 09:58 AM

O. K. Everyone....

Thanks for all this very valulable information. NOW here is my next question.... In respect for all of you....is there a way that I can identify bidding names so that I don't infringe?

I suppose I could post the item and see if any of you are planning to bid it.

What advise do you have for me?

Thanks.....
Mimi [Smile]

#14 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 05:01 PM

At least at 'live' auctions you can see who you are bidding against. Unless they are behind you. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
It is difficult if a friend wants the same item as you do. [Eek!] My friend and I just decide which items we prefer. I'd rather lose an item than a friend! [Smile] True friends are really hard to find and are worth a lot more than anything in my collection! [Wink]

Nancy

#15 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 06:30 PM

Hi Ann & Ken,
What does "snipe bid" mean [Confused] [Puzzled]
Bye,
KK [Big Grin]

0 user(s) are reading this topic