• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 2Sweet

2Sweet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 June 2002 - 06:30 PM

This is my first time to ever post a message so I want to say, Lisa, I love the site and hope more people will join in :-)
I am fairly new to e-bay and am a little confused at something. I was winning the bid on a compact (me, loaded with excitement) reloading the page every thirty seconds to make sure I was still winning...I got down to 9 seconds left and feeling pretty confident, I reloaded and found that someone else had outbidded my by alot of $ within that few seconds left. This is not the first time this has happened and it is the same person!!! How can this happen? or How can I be the one to bid the last second of the auction?

#2 Sue J

Sue J

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 July 2002 - 09:10 AM

Newsweek did an article on ebay a few weeks ago, and according to the article, there is actually software out there that will monitor what your intrested in and automatically place bid for you during the final moments of the auction,virtually assuring a win. Kind of stinks!!

#3 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 01 July 2002 - 04:16 PM

The sitaution you have described is called "sniping" and will cause you to lose an auction in the very last seconds.
There are sites out there that will do the bidding for you and may prevent snipers from out bidding you at last second but there is a fee involved.

[ July 01, 2002, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users