10 replies to this topic

#1 Shannon

Shannon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:45 PM

Hi everyone:

Well, I've done it again. I've managed to become obsessed with collecting items that are going to drain my pocketbook and render me homeless. Why, oh why couldn't I have stumbled onto matchbook collecting or *anything* that was less expensive than Estee Lauder compacts??!! :unsure:

In order to have some money left for such things as food, what are some tips some of you long-term collectors can give me? Do the true collectors purchase brand new from resellers such as Neiman Marcus or do you purchase off eBay and other auction sites?

Do you care if the compacts come MIB or MIBB, or UB? I'd hate to start off this hobby going the cheaper route only to find myself realizing I should have purchased MIBB right from the start.

So many questions.... :blink:

Shannon

Edited by Shannon, 18 October 2012 - 01:10 PM.

#2 wjh414

wjh414

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:09 PM

Hello and welcome, Shannon!
Your post got me thinking about the past few years since I started collecting E.L. solids and I just had to smile! Your enthusiasm is invigorating and all your questions are very good ones. How you want to collect the solids is really up to you (and your pocketbook! :P ) It's nice to have MIBB but I have found that it's the solid itself that I enjoy. I do like to have the perfume and a label. My collection includes some MIBB, some purchased new from Saks, NM or Harrods, MIB, just perfume with label, and, dare I say it, :ph34r: some empty compacts. Other collectors prefer only MIBB. It's really up to the individual and how you want to enjoy your hobby. Although for some folks it's more than a hobby it's a business. I don't display all of my solids at the same time. I have taken themes and created my "garden" scene, "circus" scene, "winter" scene, etc. and display the solids for each on a rotating basis. It's really fun and relaxing to decide which solids will be included in each one. So, however you want to enjoy your collection the decisions are yours. You'll find it's a wonderful way to combine art, fragrance, memories, creativity and fun all at once! Good luck! :lol:
Wendy

#3 Mary

Mary

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:58 PM

It is nice to know that new collectors are still getting into the Estee Lauder solids.I do not post very often but thought I would add my two cents. I agree that how you collect is definitely a personal choice. I have been collecting for about 14 years now and only prefer full with boxes. I loved the solids for the whole package when I got into it and the empty ones just seem like trinket boxes to me. Again this is just my personal taste in the solids. I also just prefer what I consider pretty ones so most of the vintage ones do not appeal to me. I quit buying from stores a few years ago when Estee Lauder started releasing empties at auction. I'm not in a rush to buy so I occasionally check ebay and if something comes up at a price I can live with I pick it up. This works well for my wallet and still gives me pleasure to add a new one every so often. These are beautiful items and I hope that you enjoy them as much as I do.

#4 Yuen

Yuen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:54 PM

Hi Shannon,
A warm welcome from the South. Before you, I was the "newest" member I think to this great group (not sure what we are called?). I started collecting in March this year and I have about 150 solids now! I started with collecting everything as I wanted to build up a collection quickly but soon found it's not much fun to collect empty ones! I then started to replace them with the ones with perfume and boxes and now only buy compacts which have at least perfume in them even without boxes. The only exceptions might be the really old and hard to find ones that I really want.

It's definitely addictive as I have to go on eBay every day for a few times to make sure I haven't "missed" anything :) My husband is getting a bit annoyed too with my newfound hobby as I promised I will only buy so many to fill up the antique display cabinet that he bought for me for the solids but now I'm running out of space and am trying to persuade him that WE need another one ;)

Again, very happy that you join us and good luck with your collection!

Alice

#5 Shannon

Shannon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:02 AM

Hi Shannon,
A warm welcome from the South. Before you, I was the "newest" member I think to this great group (not sure what we are called?). I started collecting in March this year and I have about 150 solids now! I started with collecting everything as I wanted to build up a collection quickly but soon found it's not much fun to collect empty ones! I then started to replace them with the ones with perfume and boxes and now only buy compacts which have at least perfume in them even without boxes. The only exceptions might be the really old and hard to find ones that I really want.

It's definitely addictive as I have to go on eBay every day for a few times to make sure I haven't "missed" anything :) My husband is getting a bit annoyed too with my newfound hobby as I promised I will only buy so many to fill up the antique display cabinet that he bought for me for the solids but now I'm running out of space and am trying to persuade him that WE need another one ;)

Again, very happy that you join us and good luck with your collection!

Alice

Hi Alice:

Wow! You started this past March and you have 150 compacts?? That's amazing. I'd love to do that, but food and shelter must come *before* compacts! I'm not doing too badly, I started two weeks ago and have a whopping 13 so far. Of course, I've left my hubby completely out of the loop on this. I'm pretty sure he will be none too pleased about my latest obsession.

Thanks so much for the nice welcome. :)

Shannon

#6 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:52 PM

Yeah - 150 compacts in 8 months is pretty fast . . . that's nearly 20 per month !!

Are you slowing down any, Alice? :lol:

What 'theme's are you collecting, or are you just going for gold ?

#7 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:43 PM

Does anyone know how mny EL perfume solid compact designs there are?

Ar

#8 Yuen

Yuen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:21 PM

I practically just collect the ones that I like. At first, I don't have enough to display them in a "theme" set but now I don't have the space :) I bought a set of table and chairs (miniature dollhouses ones) and some mini cutlery trying to set up a "dining scene" with my teacup, coffee cup, wedding cake etc on the table. I got them yesterday but the table is really small and I can only put the two cups and the dessert on it! I have got one shelf for the older solids, one for the sparkling newer ones and one for the "animals" and cameos but as I said am running out of space! Not sure what to do next :(

#9 butterflies1219

butterflies1219

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:54 PM

Hi girls- I'll just give you the bad news now. Go ahead and clear out the guest room. Soon your solids will take over at least one room of the house. I joke about starting a solid perfume museum one day and I would be so happy to do that! Right now, we have been talking about moving within the year. My objective for the new home is that it MUST have one room I can dedicate to displaying my solids!! Yes, I am actually considering my solids as a priority for my new home! LOL... that will be you soon! Trust me, I started out with three display wall shelves and a washstand shelf, I have in 5 years given in to the fact that I must have a very large room for displays...oh and of course some solids scattered about in "theme" arrangements. Currently I have a fall colored solid perfume arrangement. I've already began gathering all the ones for the Christmas Holidays display!! So I'll just warn you now that you will outgrow everything you thought you was too large! But it sure is fun!!!

Be sure to check in the site for Ann and Ken's displays. They have amazing theme displays with their solids. Some of their displays are pictured in R. Gerson's book, on this website and in older editions of the IPBA (international perfume bottle assoc).

BTW, joining the IPBA is also a fun way to hook up with other solid perfume collectors. I went to my first IPBA convention this year and met a solid perfume collector with over 1000+ solids! There were a lot of MIBB solids and rare solids for sale at the IPBA Collectors Market. It's only $40 per year to join and very easy. (Message me if you want info)
Jennifer in Jacksonville

#10 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:17 AM

Hi Ladies.... :)

Collecting is such an addiction but a very nice one. I started with powder compacts and then along came solid perfumes and now I have added perfume bottles not to mention the vanity related items that go along with them.

My Hubby is as bad with his model railways, at times our house looks like a junk shop, there always seems to be the latest buy waiting to be cleaned or restored and we have been known to fight over who will have our old scared kitchen table to work on for the day.

Alice...... Do be careful about buying dolls house furniture to put your solids on because next thing you know you will be building a full dolls house.... :lol: I have been building one now for the last seven years and its a hobby that I love but its yet another collecting addiction and the one that requires the most patience.

Welcome Shannon, I hope you have many happy years of collecting.

Margaret .........

#11 Yuen

Yuen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

Yes Margaret you are exactly right I am afraid about the dollhouse :D

I found myself starting to look at dollhouse furnitures etc etc besides EL solid perfume on eBay everyday now. My colleague told me there is this hobby shop in the CBD that has dollhouse stuff and I am planning to "have a look" when I have a chance. I have a feeling what this will lead to....

My only constraint is I don't have the space (although I have a second bedroom that at present is full of my clothes) so this might be a "deterence". If you have a chance, I would be very very interested to see a photo of your dollhouse! I have printed one from eBay which is a bakery but it is sold as a built set and I think it's not much fun as I want to build my own to display my solids, just need to think where to put this and buy the necessary "furnitures" and asscessories! ;)

Alice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users