92 replies to this topic

#76 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:52 PM

Hello Wendy,

Have just read your post and will try to answer.

The post office will always weigh the item. We do not just hand in items already stamped. The post office will not accept that for parcels. I even have the envelopes weighed which I am sending to the States. Depending on the size of the envelope the price increases or decreases. I was amazed when sending one brochure which was not heavy, to find it cost over 2 to post. I had not taken into account the size of the envelope. Either way, it is a hit and miss affair and when listing with auctions, I cannot possibly keep running back and forth to the post office to find out the exact cost. Firstly it would take too much time as you have to stand in line for ages.......Not like the States, where you walk in and out without too much waiting around!

I think, having stayed many times in the States, you are more customer friendly, much more stress free and far less expensive than here in the U.K.

:)

#77 wjh414

wjh414

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:08 AM

Hello Wendy,

Have just read your post and will try to answer.

The post office will always weigh the item. We do not just hand in items already stamped. The post office will not accept that for parcels. I even have the envelopes weighed which I am sending to the States. Depending on the size of the envelope the price increases or decreases. I was amazed when sending one brochure which was not heavy, to find it cost over 2 to post. I had not taken into account the size of the envelope. Either way, it is a hit and miss affair and when listing with auctions, I cannot possibly keep running back and forth to the post office to find out the exact cost. Firstly it would take too much time as you have to stand in line for ages.......Not like the States, where you walk in and out without too much waiting around!

I think, having stayed many times in the States, you are more customer friendly, much more stress free and far less expensive than here in the U.K.

:)

Thank you so much, Jacky! This means Alice has a way to prove that the violin was not included in her package. Go for it, Alice! Good luck! :D
Wendy
p.s. As to waiting in line at the post office in the U.S. - you've never seen my local branch! :rolleyes:

#78 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:37 PM

Hope I will see your post office one of these days!
;)

#79 wjh414

wjh414

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:34 PM

Hope I will see your post office one of these days!
;)

Hope I will see YOU one of these days!! :wub:

#80 Yuen

Yuen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:06 PM

I checked the envelope again after reading your posts but the only weight is the one written by the seller on the customs form when she declared what it is, how much it costs and signed unless the weight was filled in by the staff at the post office. I assume it is the seller as the handwriting is the same.

I received a parcel from the US yesterday and because of this "violin" incident, I looked at the envelope more closely. It seems that on the right hand corner where the postage stamp is, there is an automatic printed weight of the package. There isn't any on the package from the UK just the handwritten one on the custom form.

It's always a pain to go to the post office and I try to avoid it :) I only sell very rarely as I have nothing much to sell! Even when I don't use them, I tend to keep them just in case ;)

Alice

#81 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:46 PM

If you take a close up picture of it and after downloading send me the picture, I can print it off and ask at my post office OR you can enlarge it....or scan it etc. Either way, I could check it out for you here if the picture is clear enough.....

Just a thought!

#82 Yuen

Yuen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:14 PM

Hi Petals,

I have scanned the envelope and is attached.

Thanks so much for your help!
Alice

Attached Files

#83 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:32 PM

:) It's so nice to see members going out of their way for each other across the other side of the world. Very heart warming indeed !

Alice, we have the opportunity to also write the weight of the article on our customs declaration form too. Usually it is issused by the post office worker who lets you fill it out in front of them and usually they advise you what to write and watch you write it, so I'd be mighty surprised if the weight isn't accurate, especially since the postage charge goes on the weight of the item.

This has been going on for quite a while, so I'm surprised you haven't made a claim to Paypal already. Make the complaint to Paypal about only receiving half of your order and escualte the claim, and let the seller decide whether he/she can sleep at night knowing that you did not get what you paid for. Let it be someone else's problem, not yours or ours.

Chances are you'll get a partial refund for the missing item, and then it can be resolved and we can all move on from fraudulent sellers.

#84 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:43 PM

Oh, I have a final brilliant thought about this weight problem - Petals, in case your rushing off to line up at the PO, don't bother.

Regardless of what is written on the customs form, a printed receipt is always issued to the person posting the item. This is what they will have to produce to Paypal as evidence.

The printed receipts I get always show the date, time, cost and WEIGHT of the package, as well as the destination. Now firstly I doubt whether or not the sender will even remember what weight they wrote down on a customs form since that has been sent. It is the printed receipt that is the most important thing here. Paypal will ask her for the postage proof, and she will have it, along with the weight of the item.

So Alice, you should do the running around here and get your item in the box weighed so that YOU can prove that only one box was sent to you in the package. Take a photo of it on the scales at the PO. Take a photo of the sender and address too. Take a photo of the Ebay item description and see how big the violin in the box should be . . . would it have fit in the package that was sent to you with the other one?

Whatever - MAKE THE CLAIM for a PARTIAL REFUND.

Edited by Sandra, 06 September 2012 - 06:46 PM.

#85 Yuen

Yuen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:19 AM

Hi Sandra,

I did make a claim to PayPal. I am really surprised that when I escalated it to a claim, they gave the seller 10 days to respond and then they told me after the seller responded that it will take them 30 days to "resolve" the claim!!

So I am still waiting....

Alice

#86 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:23 PM

Dear Alice - you really should have started the claim when you received the item and then esculated it when the seller said she sent it both items and you only received one.

I'm sure Paypal has an "up to" clause, so it may not take as long as you think ! Paypal must give the seller an opportunity to respond (hence the 10 days). She may respond in less than 10 days, so then they will give you an opportunity to prove that you didn't get it, and then the seller may have another opportunity to state her side.

Either way, all this takes time and I'm sure that if you read the Paypal policy, it would tell you all this because they have to act in fairness to both sides to reach a just outcome.

OK - so we're all waiting to hear the outcome of this. Good luck !! I'm sure you should get a fair outcome. B)

#87 wjh414

wjh414

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

Hi Sandra,

I did make a claim to PayPal. I am really surprised that when I escalated it to a claim, they gave the seller 10 days to respond and then they told me after the seller responded that it will take them 30 days to "resolve" the claim!!

So I am still waiting....

Alice

Hi, Alice,
You can call and ask PayPal how to submit a copy of the original receipt with the weight on it. Also have someone at your post office weigh the one solid (with packaging) that you did receive and have them print up some official document with that information to submit to PayPal, too. I know it's a pain to go to the post office! But hopefully it would speed up PayPal to make a decision in your favor. ;)
Wendy

#88 Yuen

Yuen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:45 AM

Just letting everyone know that I finally got my money back from PayPal :P

It was a long drawn process but thanks for all your assistance and support!

Alice

#89 wjh414

wjh414

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:50 PM

Just letting everyone know that I finally got my money back from PayPal :P

It was a long drawn process but thanks for all your assistance and support!

Alice

Hurray! Thanks for letting us know, Alice! :D
Wendy

#90 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:07 AM

Fantastic news! Tell us, did the seller admit to not sending both items?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users