• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:58 PM

Hello LadyMarsham, Love the name! Re keeping the solids in the fridge, it is something I have never ever done. Maybe some of our other collectors will be able to give advice on this question. As for having kept a perfume solid in the fridge for 22 years (the mind boggles)!

Ar, Vegas Lady, Zooey, and everyone else I have not mentioned, any advice please?

:)

P.S
Anyone looking for the Bulldog or Palace Guard, please make contact. I'm afraid these two Harrods items cannot be at rock bottom pricing due to the difficulty and rarity etc. Contact me through my name if you are interested.

#17 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:21 PM

I think solids would be more prone to melting after being refrigerated and then taken out. But who knows? I've been hoarding ASA 25 Kodacolor film in the freezer for at least 15 years! :D

Ar

Edited by Ar, 07 November 2011 - 10:22 PM.

#18 P.E.Parry

P.E.Parry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

From all the empties appearing on ebay must have been another big warehouse sale.

#19 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:15 AM

I don't know if many of you will agree, but I find the older solids are once more making a come back and being appreciated for what they are.

I have sold a few of my older solids and will probably regret it later. Certain solids I will never sell.

Regarding the empty solids on ebay, obviously I prefer these to have some residue of perfume as one cannot expect the perfume always to have stayed intact over the years. I consider that having a solid perfume from the 70's with label and perfume intact, to be a feat in itself! Often those who are not collectors but have bought these beautifully crafted items to use as pill boxes or ornaments, have cleaned them out (more's the pity). Either way, the older and more complete, the higher the value. It is really unfortunate that Estee Lauder never really appreciated the wonderful items they were presenting to all of us over the years. Had they reduced the volume and concentrated on the collectors as a whole, we would never have encountered Warehouse Sales and those out there who copy and sell solid perfumes to fill the empties. Place a copy solid perfume next to an older original, and I think you will notice the difference.

These are just my opinions which may be different from others, but there is also room to change ones mind if proven to be wrong.

#20 laurendmb

laurendmb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:36 AM

I don't know if many of you will agree, but I find the older solids are once more making a come back and being appreciated for what they are.

I have sold a few of my older solids and will probably regret it later. Certain solids I will never sell.

Regarding the empty solids on ebay, obviously I prefer these to have some residue of perfume as one cannot expect the perfume always to have stayed intact over the years. I consider that having a solid perfume from the 70's with label and perfume intact, to be a feat in itself! Often those who are not collectors but have bought these beautifully crafted items to use as pill boxes or ornaments, have cleaned them out (more's the pity). Either way, the older and more complete, the higher the value. It is really unfortunate that Estee Lauder never really appreciated the wonderful items they were presenting to all of us over the years. Had they reduced the volume and concentrated on the collectors as a whole, we would never have encountered Warehouse Sales and those out there who copy and sell solid perfumes to fill the empties. Place a copy solid perfume next to an older original, and I think you will notice the difference.

These are just my opinions which may be different from others, but there is also room to change ones mind if proven to be wrong.

I agree! The prices for solids have been increasing on ebay over the past year or two

#21 lmsw1

lmsw1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:01 PM

What's it like selling on eBay these days? It's been a few years for me... I've heard from friends who have bought and sold musical instruments that ebay has really changed and it's not nearly so pleasant. Many thanks for any info! -Lauren :unsure:

#22 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:01 PM

I agree with your friends - Ebay used to be a friendly place to buy and sell once upon a time. However, the last couple of years it hasn't been so.

Mostly 'bigger' business sellers have outmuscled the 'little' friendly sellers, so it's like a big department store moving in on the little corner shops . . . no personalisation or an enjoyable chase for something you really want.

Most things I want from Ebay are now 'cheap as chips', and readily available. There is no market for the real 2nd hand sellers who want to shed their stuff cheaply - what Ebay was originally set up for, I think. The fees have gone up, as has the Paypal conversion of currency. There are fewer auctions and more 'buy-it-now' with the seller having multiples of the same items. There is less opportunity for an individual to make a little money, or at least get the same money back for something as most things have been devalued.

There's a site over here called Gumtree that is free to advertise goods, with absoutely no fees whatsoever when you sell, so a lot of people buy and sell on that, but most of it is local business - pay and pick up. No paypal involved. It took a while to get started, but now it's taking off like Ebay in the early days. People who really want to get rid of their goods, and not buying to sell, like on Ebay nowadays.

Ebay has pretty much destroyed antique shop owners and businesses like that, like online buying has bankrupted book stores etc. It doesn't allow people to make money to cover overheads. This in itself has killed the economy. Don't know many people who go to the shops to buy anything else except for food these days . . . unless there is a department store super sale where goods are actually cheaper than you can get online (this may only happen once or twice a year over here).

However, one positive is that I seem to be able to get whatever I want pretty much straight away without leaving home. The negative is the postage has soared and the anticipation of an auction ending and 'will I get it' has disappeared. And no more adrenalin rush in the last few seconds.

In my opinion, there are a lot more 'sharks' now on Ebay - people with less knowledge about things who only want the sales. Customer service is pretty much non-existant. You have to make your own mind up about the item - less and less detail is in descriptions because people don't really know what they are selling.

And that is my two cents ! :ph34r: :blink: :D

#23 laurendmb

laurendmb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:02 AM

I agree with your friends - Ebay used to be a friendly place to buy and sell once upon a time. However, the last couple of years it hasn't been so.

Mostly 'bigger' business sellers have outmuscled the 'little' friendly sellers, so it's like a big department store moving in on the little corner shops . . . no personalisation or an enjoyable chase for something you really want.

Most things I want from Ebay are now 'cheap as chips', and readily available. There is no market for the real 2nd hand sellers who want to shed their stuff cheaply - what Ebay was originally set up for, I think. The fees have gone up, as has the Paypal conversion of currency. There are fewer auctions and more 'buy-it-now' with the seller having multiples of the same items. There is less opportunity for an individual to make a little money, or at least get the same money back for something as most things have been devalued.

There's a site over here called Gumtree that is free to advertise goods, with absoutely no fees whatsoever when you sell, so a lot of people buy and sell on that, but most of it is local business - pay and pick up. No paypal involved. It took a while to get started, but now it's taking off like Ebay in the early days. People who really want to get rid of their goods, and not buying to sell, like on Ebay nowadays.

Ebay has pretty much destroyed antique shop owners and businesses like that, like online buying has bankrupted book stores etc. It doesn't allow people to make money to cover overheads. This in itself has killed the economy. Don't know many people who go to the shops to buy anything else except for food these days . . . unless there is a department store super sale where goods are actually cheaper than you can get online (this may only happen once or twice a year over here).

However, one positive is that I seem to be able to get whatever I want pretty much straight away without leaving home. The negative is the postage has soared and the anticipation of an auction ending and 'will I get it' has disappeared. And no more adrenalin rush in the last few seconds.

In my opinion, there are a lot more 'sharks' now on Ebay - people with less knowledge about things who only want the sales. Customer service is pretty much non-existant. You have to make your own mind up about the item - less and less detail is in descriptions because people don't really know what they are selling.

And that is my two cents ! :ph34r:/> :blink:/> :D/>

I have to say I respectfully disagree with you, Sandra. I feel as if customer service is as good as ever on eBay because the eBay buyer protection policy guarantees that even if customer service is not up to par and you have an issue, it will get sorted out.

I still see many "small time" sellers. You also have to realize that some "small time" sellers that started selling 10 years ago may now have over 1000 feedback and appear to be a "big business" but in fact give the same service and do the same amount of business as they did when they started.

The fees may have gone up, but in my opinion it is still quite cheap to sell items on ebay. Even after listing fees, eBay commissions, PayPal fees, and foreign currency exchange fees, you never end up losing more than 15% of the final price. Maybe that seems high to some people, but to me that is more than fair.

As far as eBay "destroying" antique shop owners and "business like that," I think that is more a result of the internet as a whole and not eBay specifically. Even if eBay did not exist, antique shops would have a hard time making it these days when there is craigslist and so many online stores that drastically change the supply and demand of these types of goods.

eBay was originally set up to do one thing: make money for eBay. Even with this in mind, as a second hand seller who wishes to shed my stuff cheaply, I find eBay is the place where I get the most money for the items I sell, even after fees. Even if they increased their fees so that I was paying closer to 20% commission, it would still be the best place for me to sell things I no longer want/use.

#24 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:38 AM

I hear over and over again how expensive Ebay has become over the years and I tend to agree.
At one time I could ask for the buyer to send me a cheque which they were always willing to do but then Paypal and Ebay somehow joined forces and their offices were moved out of the U.K. This is a very rough outline as to what occurred as I do not have all the relevant facts and do not want to be pulled up for writing incorrect information so let me use the word ''allegedly''.

Ebay are always harping on about keeping the postage low, but when all the postage fee is eaten up by paypal, it is no wonder that sellers increase their postage costs. So on top of Paypal fees, there are the ebay fees and unless I am prepared to sell something at a loss, I don't sell and wait for a private collector. Fortunately the value of the solids are increasing once more. As one collector pointed out to me recently, the really serious collectors have most of the items they want (and they paid the proper price for them) and it is now for the new collectors to realise their worth.

Once again I will no doubt have to edit this post but if I do not write it now, I will not have a chance to do so later.

Yes, I agree that Ebay having joined with Paypal has really put many people off selling. Sandra, I have checked out Gumtree here in the U.K. but I did not find anything. Will have another look...........

#25 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

I have to say I respectfully disagree with you, Sandra. I feel as if customer service is as good as ever on eBay because the eBay buyer protection policy guarantees that even if customer service is not up to par and you have an issue, it will get sorted out.

I still see many "small time" sellers. You also have to realize that some "small time" sellers that started selling 10 years ago may now have over 1000 feedback and appear to be a "big business" but in fact give the same service and do the same amount of business as they did when they started.

As far as eBay "destroying" antique shop owners and "business like that," I think that is more a result of the internet as a whole and not eBay specifically. Even if eBay did not exist, antique shops would have a hard time making it these days when there is craigslist and so many online stores that drastically change the supply and demand of these types of goods.

:wacko: Cool. I have no problem with being respectfully disagreed with. I stand by what I wrote, though I will agree that it is not just specifically Ebay now that has ruined livelihoods of many retail outlets and killed off real personalised service.

#26 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:16 PM

Gumtree sounds like Craigslist. I have bought and sold on Craigslist with some success. I found two wonderful adoptive families for stray kitties and one nutcase where I had to retrieve the kitten back (long story). It can be risky, especially if you have a stranger come to your house. And I would only accept cash.

Recently when I've put items on Craigslist I've received scam emails. It's so annoying that I haven't used it in a long time. Since it's free, it is still very popular.
Ar

#27 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:28 PM

I tend to agree with Jacky and Sandra but IMHO the result of "big business" monopolizing ebay has meant better and more professional service for buyers. I've had more problems with the "mom and pop" sellers - eg. selling a "mint" solid that has been glued back together, sending the wrong item meant for a different buyer or "misplacing" the item and canceling the sale. That is not to say ALL sellers are like that. But those few bad apples stand out.

I can't speak to the expense of selling as I haven't sold anything on ebay in quite a while.

Ebay and paypal have become more sophisticated and at least purchases are now insured.

I think there is room for both kinds of sellers.

Ar

#28 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:27 AM

I have never heard of Craiglist but will look them up. I doubt anyone will overcome the monopoly of Paypal and Ebay and I dare not ask if Lisa and Jack would be prepared to set up an auction site!!!!!!!!!! I do hope you are well Lisa as there has been no word from you or Jack in a while.

By the way Ar, I would never have anyone come to my home via the route of selling on auction. There are enough cranks out there so I would arrange to meet in some populated place to avoid any ''misunderstandings''.

Take care, as always. x

#29 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:33 AM

Jacky,
Craigslist has about 30 city regions in the UK: http://london.craigslist.co.uk/
Ar

I have never heard of Craiglist but will look them up. I doubt anyone will overcome the monopoly of Paypal and Ebay and I dare not ask if Lisa and Jack would be prepared to set up an auction site!!!!!!!!!! I do hope you are well Lisa as there has been no word from you or Jack in a while.

By the way Ar, I would never have anyone come to my home via the route of selling on auction. There are enough cranks out there so I would arrange to meet in some populated place to avoid any ''misunderstandings''.

Take care, as always. x

#30 Lauderlover

Lauderlover

Lauderlover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:04 PM

I just had to write something about an experience I have just had on Ebay, which some of you will appreciate is quite funny!

For the first time ever I have received a negative feedback from LUXPLUSSTUF

I listed a Beaux Arts Gift Box ( did not mention Gift Box in the title) 1989.

Wait for it.................................

This buyer wanted to return the item due to the fact that my auction was misleading. She was unaware that it did not come with ORIGINAL BOX AND POUCH and.......wait for it, she listed in her negative complaint that the perfume........wait for it...........is ''BROWN''.

Amazingly enough, this particular solid was in MINT Condition and the perfume was full........and it was released........wait for it.......in 1989. This makes the perfume 22 YEARS OLD! The Beaux Art had the label, shiny gold, and full, yes, full of perfume!

She thought, wait for it.....that I would sell a mint in the Box Beaux Art for 21! Crazeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
An original Beaux Art in the Box would sell much higher than that!

So Ladies and Gentlemen, your perfume of 22years must be PINK IN COLOUR, and must have the original pouch and box!
I refused to receive it as I had NO RETURNS on my auction plus the fact that she was aggressive in the first email demanding my home address! The second email mentioned NEGATIVE FEEDBACK i.e. trying to avoid it by my taking the item back was the inference!

I cleared the auction with Ebay U.K. who found nothing wrong with what I had written and told me I was justified in not accepting the item.........but she still managed to write her negative which Ebay will see........

So this is what is happening on Ebay. Sellers be prepared for negative feedback from ebayers who change their mind about an item which they decide they do not want OR they do not read the description etc. I do not mind buyer's remorse if the buyer is polite and apologetic but to be blackmailed into taking something back......WHOA.........................

ANYMORE STORIES ABOUT EBAY??? :rolleyes:/>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users