38 replies to this topic

#1 Fee

Fee

Fee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 06:12 PM

Well here's lucky number 3 that I have seen! [Silly] Whatever next!.. a panda? [Big Grin] [New Laugh]

http://cgi.ebay.com/...18&category=602

any ideas on what this will go for? hmmm [Suspicious]

#2 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 06:18 PM

Wow! There are more listed recently than ever before. I wish sellers would flood the market with 20 per month, so I can afford to buy one. [Eek!] [Silly] What are the chances? [New Laugh] [New Laugh]

Getting real [Sleep] of those toy wagons!

[ February 09, 2003, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: greyhound ]

#3 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 09:58 PM

This one looks kind of strange to me. First off the seller has 0 feedbacks and has been registered with ebay since 2001. So this seller has never sold or bid on anything in almost two years and now they have 2 very valuable solids for sale.
Why isn't the Lucky Rabbit on the same background?
There seems to be a new bidder (less than 30 days with ebay) increasing the auction right away.
Both descriptions are almost the same- liked perfume and used it and from my personal collection.
At the bottom of the auction seller claim to have another user ID, this ID has 125 + feedbacks 0 neutral and 0 negative, then why change the account?
Also under this different account all of what this seller sold is invalid.
Things with these two auction just come across a little strange. [Suspicious] [Suspicious]

#4 klassicguy1

klassicguy1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 10:10 PM

[Suspicious] Lisa - I agree with you. Seems like a lot of good solids are being listed and then you never see feedback. I have asked questions of some of these sellers and do not receive a reply. Could be totally legit, but I would be careful.

#5 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 12:46 AM

In this case I would advise using ebay's escrow service.

http://pages.ebay.co...ust-escrow.html

[ February 10, 2003, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

#6 mimi

mimi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 01:07 PM

Thanks everyone for providing some very good points!! I am such a novice in this, that I don't know what to look for. You guys are great to give insight!!

Well, we'll see what this one brings. But OH MY...I do love the Princess and would love to have one!!

Watching and waiting.....

Mimi

#7 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 01:39 PM

Mimi,

Not saying this auction isn't legit, I would just hate to see anyone taken advantage of. I do think there is shilling going on with this auction.

I did get my princess from a seller with 0 feedbacks (she was brand new to ebay), I did verify her and her address as well as phone #. I spoke with her several times on the phone also.

Mediation would be the best possible thing, if the seller agrees than all should go smooth.

#8 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 02:23 PM

Hi Lisa, I'm learning alot about buying solids from this site! [Big Grin] Trying to figure out ebay [Confused] [Suspicious]
You are passing on valuable information, I truly appreciated. The escrow info is great. I'm keeping my eye on the [Suspicious] [Puzzled] ones. You(and Jack)are doing an outstanding job!
KK [Smile]

#9 mimi

mimi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 04:17 PM

Thanks Lisa.....now please tell me what "shilling" means. I am learning so much!!

Mimi

#10 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 04:24 PM

Thanks Mimi, I was going to ask about that expression too! Not one I've heard of before. I like to learn.

Nancy

[ February 10, 2003, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: Nancy ]

#11 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 04:41 PM

Shill bidding is where a seller has another ebay ID and bids on his own auctions to increase the final sale of the auction.
I am not saying this is what is going on for sure but it sure does look that way. [Suspicious]

#12 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 06:33 PM

Lately, I see an increasing amount of suspicious ebay activity. It seems that more people are realizing the value of Lauder solids. Because of that, there seems to be more "shilling" type behavior this year. [Mad] [Cry] [Puzzled] [Suspicious]

#13 Fee

Fee

Fee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 09:26 PM

Yes it certainly seems strange for someone to start a new user id to sell such a valuable item. [Confused]

Not actually sure how you could confirm that the two user ids are in fact the same seller to make the previous feedback relevant. [Confused]

As you can no longer see the email address of a user id the only other way would be to do a 'request for contact details' for each user and compare. [Roll Eyes] As far as I am aware this is only possible if you are actively involved in a transaction with the other user id so you would have to be currently bidding. By requesting details you are also providing your details to the seller which may not be a desirable event. Also as the 'old' user id is not currently active a 'request for contact details'would not be possible for this one so you would have nothing to compare it with! hmmm So unless there is another simple way of confirming it I would imagine you would have to contact eBay for some verification - if they are able to. [Suspicious] Very strange..I can only echo the sentiments of previous messages "buyer beware!"
...of course there could be a simple explanation for all of this! [New Laugh] seems a bit long-winded but hopefully you get the gist [Silly]

#14 Jack

Jack

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 09:42 PM

Many times even seeing the email addresses won't help you. People set up multiple accounts in different names and with different email addresses.

Sometimes you can get an idea of what is going on if you look at the feedbacks and then check out the other auctions they have won. Are the same names bidding on each other's auctions? Is the person buying very inexpensive items just to get some good feedbacks and then trying to sell an expensive item?

When you decide to use an escrow service, I'd recommend using only eBay's escrow service. There have been a lot of reports of fake escrow services being set up by the scammers as part of the scam! Granted, this has been mostly for items worth thousands of dollars, but still...BE CAREFUL!

#15 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 12:18 AM

The Imperial princess auction ended yesterday with a final price of $1976.00 [Eek!]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users