• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 07:52 PM

This is off topic, but it's bothering me. I haven't bought any Jay Strongwater items except the Lauder solids, so I don't know anything. I see people selling his items way below retail on ebay (even with buy-it-now)...as much as $100 below. Certain sellers have a never ending supply. My question is: how can you tell the difference between authentic and fake Strongwater items? [Confused]

I'm not saying I feel suspicious of any seller....it's just I don't know what the usual characteristics of authentic merchandise are. How can people sell it for lower prices? By the way, the sellers have good feedback and plenty of it.

The obvious: some rhinestone frames are listed as Strongwater like. No problem, I saw them at Hobby Lobby and Bed Bath & Beyond.

I'm interested in buying a Strongwater compact eventually and don't want to pay retail. Do you guys think it's safe to buy from ebay? [Confused]

#2 mimi

mimi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 08:56 PM

Hi Greyhound,

I just purchased a Turtle Keepsake Box from a seller on E-bay. I am comfortable with its authenticity. It came "mint" as described and is stamped "Jay Strongwater" on the inside of the shell. The seller was prompt and courteous. All in all, it was a good transaction......AND it was just about $100.00 less than the retail price at Neiman's. If you need any more info. please let me know...I'll be happy to help!

Good Luck.....

Mimi

#3 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 09:05 PM

All Strongwater merchandise is stamped with Jay Strongwater.
Here are some examples:

user posted image user posted image user posted image

#4 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 01:23 AM

Hi Greyhound, funny or odd you should bring this subject up. I got an e-mail from an ebay seller who was selling boxes that resemble Jay Strongwater boxes. The item had Strongwater in it. Since I didn't know much about the genuine J.S. boxes I asked Lisa for her help. The ebay seller box was an imitation Strongwater. I have purchased two gorgeous J.Strongwater(what a name)boxes on ebay. They seller is great,wrapped nicely and the signature stamp is the same as Lisa's photos. I paid under $100 for each box and was outbid on several other boxes. I don't know what the original price was, so I don't know if I paid too much or "got a deal"? [Confused] :silly
I appreciate the help and knowledge on this site.
KK [Smile]

#5 Martha

Martha

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 07:54 AM

Pretty As A Picture
The dilemma lies not in finding the perfect picture frame for your treasured photo, but rather, in finding the perfect photo for a Jay Strongwater frame. In 1995, celebrated New York jewelry designer, Jay Feinburg, began combining a talent for beautiful jewelry and his interest in picture frames with "Jewels for the Home," his first line.
Feinburgs career began in his sophomore year at Rhode Island School of Design when he began designing jewelry for a very special client his mother, Penny. Encouraged by her enthusiastic response, Jay took his unique and artistic jewelry designs to buyers at fine department store giants including Neiman Marcus and Bergdorf Goodman. Recognizing a good thing, buyers placed enough orders to get Jays designs featured in the pages of beauty magazines everywhere. In honor of his mother, Jay named his company Jay Strongwater, using her maiden name.
In "Jewels for the Home," Belle-Epoque style frames are handcrafted with materials of colorful Swarovski crystals, filigreed metals in pewter, antique brass, or silver plate, and enamels. Abundant jewels range in a perfect harmony of warm reds, soft pinks, and verdant greens on each of his pieces. The backplate of each frame features beautifully wrought leaves. Such ornate attention to detail sets Jay Strongwater creations apart.
"My ultimate satisfaction has been my ability to grow as a designer, to continue to be inspired to create, and to find new ways to express myself."
Jay Strongwater has expanded his successful line of dcor pieces to include craft frames, boxes, and clocks.

This excerpt was on the Neiman Marcus website, They also have many frames for sale.

#6 Liliane

Liliane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 05:14 PM

Thanks a lot Martha - it's great!

Have a nice weekend [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Liliane

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users