• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#16 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:35 PM

HOLY COW! This is the first I've heard about "full" perfume being refilled or counterfeit. Another thing to be wary of...
There are so many disreputable sellers, even listing perfect solids that have been obviously repaired! Sometimes they get paid and don't even mail the item. I would like to say I'll never buy any more from ebay but I know the lure will eventually seduce me again. I'll try to be vigilant but these people keep getting more and more clever, and ebay makes it tough to go after them.

Go Jacky!!!

Ar

#17 MitziMay

MitziMay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:37 AM

I appreciate your concerns and comments - please note that I was refering to the refill jars for my personal use. I tried to locate Estee Lauder refills, but came up empty handed. If anyone knows where I might purchase just the solid perfume for personal use, I would appreciate the guidance. While I am new to collecting, I am not very patient with hobbies and between 3 years of collecting Estee powders and a year of collecting solid perfumes, I have already invested ~$60k in compiling my collection of 400+ items. I share your concerns about devaluation, and unfortunately bought empty solids in the beginning not realizing that these might have been "factory rejects" or "irregulars" until I read the postings on this web site - live and learn! I wanted to share my experiences with this seller who I have always found to be honest and direct - if the item was refilled, the seller would be prompt and straightforward in answering, and if the item was original w/original perfume, the seller would confirm. Yes, there are a lot of misleading sellers on eBay and unfortunately, we all must shop "buyer beware" and ask questions before bidding. I just didn't want a seller who has been fair with me (and others, per the example above) to be labeled as scamming anyone or deliberately trying to mislead - I am just encouraging everyone to ask before buying, which while not new advice is always a good reminder. Best wishes//Kandie

Hi Kandie, welcome to our website.
You must have a wonderful collection of compacts!
Going back to your comments: the whole question of asking the seller if the compact has been refilled or not is immaterial the crux of the matter is that the refills in question are homemade and therefore are not genuine Estee Lauder refills. The refills are being sold under the Estee Lauder name which breaks ebay's rules as they are fakes. What on earth is Estee Lauder and ebay doing about all this? Sitting on the sidelines again I suppose!!!

#18 Kandie

Kandie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:24 PM

Hi Kandie, welcome to our website.
You must have a wonderful collection of compacts!
Going back to your comments: the whole question of asking the seller if the compact has been refilled or not is immaterial the crux of the matter is that the refills in question are homemade and therefore are not genuine Estee Lauder refills. The refills are being sold under the Estee Lauder name which breaks ebay's rules as they are fakes. What on earth is Estee Lauder and ebay doing about all this? Sitting on the sidelines again I suppose!!!

Thank you and I understand! Does Estee Lauder ever sell solid perfumes separately?//Kandie

#19 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:45 PM

Wow, I'm with Ar, had no idea about homemade solids being placed in empty solid containers!Does the seller mention this in the auction? Most of what I've seen lately has been the same old warehouse solids, another thing to be vigilant about-it's exhausting!

#20 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:22 AM

Estee Lauder does not make these refills. I am sorry the seller of these items has found themselves in this situation but everyone knows that if Estee Lauder does not put their name to a specific item then it has to be a copy. Also there are rules about making perfumes etc. which no doubt Michele will enlighten us on. I believe stringent rules apply due to the quality, control and the fact they are used on our skin etc. I do think the seller is taking a chance and it would not be pleasant if they found themselves contravening health and safety issues and regulations.

Cannot be fairer than that!

Edited by Petals, 17 July 2010 - 06:41 AM.

#21 nyslzzle

nyslzzle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:25 PM

Hi all. I was reading and wanted to let you know that Estee Lauder does in fact make solid perfume to be purchased besides in the compacts. Dont know if these links will show up but if they do take a look.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item5888aee469

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item5888b188b1

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item483aeac441

I would think they could be melted and put inside warehouse compacts.

Edited by nyslzzle, 17 July 2010 - 12:29 PM.

#22 katita

katita

Katita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:32 PM

I didn't know about this either - makes me very angry. GGGRRRR!!!!! I think Big Bob oughta SQUASH them !! (while Lola watches and cheers him on)

#23 P.E.Parry

P.E.Parry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:43 PM

The only thing we can do is be extremely careful. And be aware that there are already other descriptions in addition to "full" to mislead buyers in to thinking the solid contains original perf. Ask before bidding.

Phyllis

#24 zooey

zooey

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:07 AM

Hi all. I was reading and wanted to let you know that Estee Lauder does in fact make solid perfume to be purchased besides in the compacts. Dont know if these links will show up but if they do take a look.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item5888aee469

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item5888b188b1

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item483aeac441

I would think they could be melted and put inside warehouse compacts.

Point taken. Now...tell us exactly WHERE Estee Lauder SELLS THEM TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC. This is an infringement on the Lauder Corporation's rights, as I read their terms, and the seller (these are all eBay items) is opening him/herself to a MAJOR lawsuit. If VERO has not caught these yet, they will soon.

Is there a book out there somewhere that we (members) do not know about? "How to Make Solid Perfume for Dummies" perhaps? Someone better check with Lauder before they continue selling these homemade wannabe's because, once again, it's against the law. Basically, said seller is taking Lauder's product in liquid form and changing it into a watered down version, then changing it again into solid form. The little containers look suspiciously like old, re-used Bare Escentuals pots. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but who is that desperate for fake solid perfume. Truth be told, it's all about the money. The seller could care less about the buyers.

That's it from this end of the globe for today...have a good one!

#25 zooey

zooey

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:11 AM

Just to make sure I'm right, will call Lauder Corporate on Monday and check on the availability of individual solid perfumes and how/where to purchase them if available. Will report back with their answer because as buyers, if we purchase and use them then find out they're illegal, we're accessories and can be held accountable. Hopefully, it's legal.

#26 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:32 PM

Hello Michele......knew you would be on the ball! Just hope the seller realises what they are about before they find themselves in trouble. It is so obvious.......and putting smoke screens up re other items that come under the E.L. name does not justify how they are selling refills!!!!! Here in the U.K. if we buy a solid perfume and decide we do not want it, then it is too bad. They will not accept returns on any of these items and anything to do with perfumes etc. There is a Health and Safety law here which prohibits this. As such any perfume items purchased and then re-released in a different format i.e. placing them in small pots, would be seen as going against the rules. Once you meddle with an item it cannot be sold on as something else!

I said my piece earlier as the seller knows what we are saying. If it's not the empties and those coming from Canada and New York, now it's another scam! As you said Michele, there comes a time when this has to stop.

#27 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:19 PM

Er, I am sure that in 2003 one could purchase an Estee Lauder Solid Perfume 'stick' . . . ?

I remember a conversation with an Aunt of mine about it and she said that people probably buy them to melt them down and refill the solids back then . . . :ph34r:

I also recall seeing them on Ebay back then - but they were as a long stick and not in pots!

#28 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:28 PM

Hi Sandra, am awake so looking around :unsure:

Yes, there are the perfume sticks which I have seen on ebay (will check again). But there is a bit of a difference in purchasing your own perfume stick under the shelter of E.Lauder, than buying small pots of refills which have been home produced i.e. melted down and being sold as refills!

I cannot buy Estee Lauder sticks or whatever and then sell them as refills under the name of Estee Lauder! Firstly I would have to physically interfere with the scents and refill them. That is not hygienic and then to suggest they be used to fill empty solid containers! I give up! If I buy a solid perfume, I do not wish to purchase with the solid perfume having been tampered with in someone's backyard. Either it comes with the old perfume which will be darkening etc., or the fresh new perfume straight from E.L. Do not want perfumes which have been messed around with by someone who is not legally sanctioned to do so! Next we will be buying lipsticks and ending up with sores on our mouths etc. as someone will decided to refill the empty lipstick holders! YUCK

Edited by Petals, 18 July 2010 - 09:40 PM.

#29 nyslzzle

nyslzzle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:06 AM

Funny you should mention lipsticks. Did you know there are thousands of homemade lip glosses for sale out there. People are making them with mint oils, fruit oils and all sorts of other things. While searching around after reading these posts I found tens of thousands of people selling homemade lip glosses and solid perfumes and there are lots of recipies for how to make them available online as well.

Wow wonder if they are tested on poor little animals like the cosmetic companies do. I surely hope not. Oh and there is a site called Etsy.com that sells lots of "Beautiful" and "Pleasures" solid perfumes, other solid perfumes and lip glosses that are all home made as well. Maybe we should try to shut that site down.

#30 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:12 AM

Maybe they do not trade under the name of a large company house in their auctions ....

Maybe they have a licence to do this.

Maybe I should check in U.K. as one is not allowed to return any make up product once purchased due to the laws of our land.

Maybe one should apply some honesty and say that these perfumes are not coming straight from E.Lauder but being sold once they are meddled around with.

Maybe lots of things but either way we have a situation where once more people are trying to cash in on the collectors without any regard to them and reducing the value of their collections which they have spent hard earned $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and 's on. Maybe one should look at the integrity of collecting rare items instead of trying to copy everything and find ways to sell them cheap!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users